Player Discussion Matt Dumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Marner's production this year is worrying. In your words, like Zucker's but with way less goals. 10.9M cap hit? He's getting paid to be a PPG+ scorer, and isn't getting it done. As soon as you bring a cap hit like that onto a team, it creates dissent, unless the player is far and away the best on the team, and a leader.

Marner did have more assists last year than Zucker has ever had points in an entire season. Marner this year: 6g/19a, 25p (23 games), Zucker this year: 12g/12a, 24p (34 games played).

Did you mean to compare Zucker to Nylander?

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I got to believe Dumba is going to get hot and go on a goal streak. He’s too good to stay like this. Plus he’s on my fantasy team, I need him to get hot. I spent a 3rd rd pick in a 20 team league to draft Dumba. That’s how highly I think of him and wanted him on my team. But so far he’s killing me :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know a guy, who knew a guy on the Red Wings coaching staff back in the 90's. He said that Stevie Yzerman was the one guy who would always do a drill wrong at practice. He and Suter...who would've guessed?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone else notice that Evason is replacing Dumba with Pateryn in the closing moments of close games when they are up, or tied?

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
Are we expecting Dumba to go back to his dominant self? I was expecting him to hit 50 points consistently at this point...

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I think he will be back to form next year as well. Massive injury with a definite case of the shanks/yips when he came back.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that there was a problem with his pec. Numbness/pain, or something. His shot was off all year. Inaccurate, and not as hard. Almost like a pitcher who has numbness in his arm affecting his grip on the ball. That's about the only difference i saw in his game. His legs looked fine.

I think he should be scoring about 35-40 pts. at a minimum in order to be an asset in the top 4. His D would look good some games, then pretty bad at others. His offense needs to make up for those mistakes. I can put up with the mistakes and overagressiveness on 5v5 if he is a weapon on the PP.

Great personality! Bet he keeps things loose in the dressing room. Love the way he exasperates Suter.

Reactions: GordieGallant

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

But, he said, “I think a lot of that hard work (the previous offseason) was being put into my rehabilitating my shoulder and pec. I wasn’t really able to work on my game the way I was this summer. It’s not the same grind doing little rehab stuff every day. And I think that was just the sacrifice my game took last year because of it without me even really realizing it.
“It took me a while to step back from it and evaluate my game and what I’m doing, right? I just didn’t feel comfortable at the start. I didn’t realize the effect that the injury had on myself. I was working hard. I wanted to play better, but I just couldn’t find it those first couple months. But after Christmas, I think I got a little more comfortable. And I definitely felt a lot better in the bubble. Felt like my game was back to where it needs to be. There’s just little keys for me about bringing my intensity and trusting my shoulder and trusting my pec.”
“Sean Skahan, our strength and fitness coach, was saying how much stronger he is from last year,” Evason said. “Obviously he had issues training because of his injury. He’s had a full summer or ‘summer.’ It’s a full opportunity to train properly. He looks bigger, he looks stronger … not only upper-body-wise but lower-body-wise, stability on the ice, shooting the puck. You know, that was a heck of an injury. And one that took a lot away from his hockey game. So, I’m with him. I’m expecting and excited about his start, for sure.”
In many ways, last season was a big learning lesson for Dumba.
“You ask anyone who’s coming back from a significant injury like that, there’s a process that you have to go through to get back,” he said. “It just doesn’t happen like that, like I thought, it was kind of naive thinking that way. It was a good reality check for me. I feel better now and know what I have to bring into each game and what kind of energy, intensity, I have to bring to the game to be successful.
“It was a little humbling and a little check back into reality that this is a really good league and you’ve got to be ready every night. That’s one thing that I’m going to emphasize this year just holding myself accountable to always be prepared and just ready. Especially with this season and how it’s going to play out playing every other night.”

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
I think that there was a problem with his pec. Numbness/pain, or something. His shot was off all year. Inaccurate, and not as hard. Almost like a pitcher who has numbness in his arm affecting his grip on the ball. That's about the only difference i saw in his game. His legs looked fine.

I think he should be scoring about 35-40 pts. at a minimum in order to be an asset in the top 4. His D would look good some games, then pretty bad at others. His offense needs to make up for those mistakes. I can put up with the mistakes and overagressiveness on 5v5 if he is a weapon on the PP.

Great personality! Bet he keeps things loose in the dressing room. Love the way he exasperates Suter.
Spot on with Dumba. That's why he is partnered with Brodin.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Without reading 14 pages, true, healthy Matt Dumba helps you win. Glad to have him around.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It would be bad on many, many levels if Dumba tore ligaments there. He has been looking like his old self...maybe even better because his D looks a bit better, and i've never seen him and Brodin look so good together.

Those two should do a remake of Miami Vice, but set it here. Two stylish undercover cops with different complexions. Call it Minnesota Nice.

Last edited:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I think we probably would have heard by now if it was season ending?

With how long it took for any Rossi news to surface, I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a while to get a diagnosis for this. I personally think he’s done for the season though. If he is, it’s gonna make things really difficult for BG imo. Will be hard to move with two significant injuries in 3 seasons. If greenway keeps up his pace, the ED is gonna be a tricky one to maneuver.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
With how long it took for any Rossi news to surface, I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a while to get a diagnosis for this. I personally think he’s done for the season though. If he is, it’s gonna make things really difficult for BG imo. Will be hard to move with two significant injuries in 3 seasons. If greenway keeps up his pace, the ED is gonna be a tricky one to maneuver.
If greenway plays well, and Dumba is done for the season. I say just do 7-3-1. We probably lose dumba, but still I’ll take the younger player.

I’m hoping Dumba returns this season, he really looked good to start the season.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
If he would miss the remainder of season, would he be exempt? I thought I read some where that a potential career ending injury that makes a player miss 60 consecutive games makes them exempt. Obviously it wouldn’t be career ending, and would assume 60 games was for a regular, not shortened season. So would there be a chance he’d be exempt if he missed basically the whole season?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he would miss the remainder of season, would he be exempt? I thought I read some where that a potential career ending injury that makes a player miss 60 consecutive games makes them exempt. Obviously it wouldn’t be career ending, and would assume 60 games was for a regular, not shortened season. So would there be a chance he’d be exempt if he missed basically the whole season?
Dumba does not have a potential career ending injury. Season ending, maybe.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices are exempt from the draft. ... Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games may be exempt from being selected with league approval.Mar 30, 2020

I find it highly unlikely that Dumba would be exempted from the ED by the league.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices are exempt from the draft. ... Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games may be exempt from being selected with league approval.Mar 30, 2020

I find it highly unlikely that Dumba would be exempted from the ED by the league.

Whoops.....sorry bout that. Old geezer who’s not so computer savvy. The quote I was referring to was on Pro Stock Hockey. If I was a little more smarter on this computer I would’ve shared it. That article said 60 games or career injury....

would be nice if that was the case and game total would be shortened due to season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad