Player Discussion Matt Dumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And my counter to that, is simply that if we already know that it's a bad deal now, we sure as hell aren't going to feel better about it when Spurgeon is still making that money at 37 f'ing years old.

Probably not, but that depends a little bit on what happens between now and then.

Also probably a good spot to point out that the salary cap was probably being projected to be at ~$87M this offseason, at the time his extension was signed. Bit of bad luck there.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Addison and Mennel are nice players, and might replace the offense, but not the physicality. Dumba has a unique skill set on this team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba won't net anything much in trade until he starts to score a lot, at which point no one will want to trade him, citing Burns. It's a classic Catch 22.

Reactions: GuerinUp

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Dumba won't net anything much in trade until he starts to score a lot, at which point no one will want to trade him, citing Burns. It's a classic Catch 22.
I hope he puts up 50 points and we sell high on him like we should have with zucker and staal. Even if we are flying very high and everyone is scoring a lot I’d look to sell big time at peek value.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Dumba as a personality, a lot, and think he is playing the best he ever has together with Brodin. He is just a hair away from breaking out offensively again- he needs to be a force on the PP. With our contract/ED situation the way it is, I don't see him staying with us, unless Parise waives his NMC for the ED (only). I would hope that he does that, because it would help the team to be more competitive in the future, benefitting him as well. It would be great to be able to protect Dumba AND Greenway.

Dumba would much easier to trade after the ED, though I am not sure that we would even need to trade him. Wild need a legit top 6 C more than they need an offense first RHD, though. If we can get said C in exchange for Dumba, then I say go for it, but if there is no deal to be had then we keep him, and go with an anemic, or at least very young, forward group to support Kap and Fiala.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Good news!

This team is so much better with Dumba in the lineup! This means he should be close to returning.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
well damn. did not expect that to be the injury.
I don't know about dislocated ribs, but broken ribs usually just get taped up. Punctured lungs are incredibly serious in the short term, but usually(depends on the size of puncture) heals up pretty quickly. I liken it to patching up an inner tube. If the patch takes, then you're good to go, though obviously pretty sore.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
That explains a lot

Then he shouldn’t have been playing. I’m so sick of this shit year after year. We lose and all this stuff comes out about injuries. Just more excuses. He shouldn’t have been playing. He made some real bad plays that cost us pretty dearly.

• Haha
Reactions: P10p

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Then he shouldn’t have been playing. I’m so sick of this shit year after year. We lose and all this stuff comes out about injuries. Just more excuses. He shouldn’t have been playing. He made some real bad plays that cost us pretty dearly.

So did every other player in the lineup. Some got lucky and no goals against happened, others didn't.

Dumba also made some very good plays and finished with a +4 for the Playoffs; which was 2nd on the team.

Dumba not in the lineup means both Kulikov and Goli play every game in the Playoffs. They were a combined -7 with just one of them on the ice per game.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
So did every other player in the lineup. Some got lucky and no goals against happened, others didn't.

Dumba also made some very good plays and finished with a +4 for the Playoffs; which was 2nd on the team.

Dumba not in the lineup means both Kulikov and Goli play every game in the Playoffs. They were a combined -7 with just one of them on the ice per game.
It isn’t as simple as just having them both in the lineup. There were other options/other d-pairings they could’ve employed. Evason could’ve also manipulated the forward lines to adjust for Dumba’s absence, but instead he overplayed a hurt Dumba and wore the hell out of Brodin and swapped 4th liners. It was pretty evident how cashed out this team was after that crappy 3rd at home and the total non-show in game 6.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It isn’t as simple as just having them both in the lineup. There were other options/other d-pairings they could’ve employed. Evason could’ve also manipulated the forward lines to adjust for Dumba’s absence, but instead he overplayed a hurt Dumba and wore the hell out of Brodin and swapped 4th liners.
Yet he was still very good overall defensively. Yes, he made a few mistakes, but so did everyone else. I highly doubt we had anyone that could come in and cover as well as he did overall.

Everyone keeps saying play Addison, but let's be real, he's not a top 4 NHL defenseman right now, because he's no where near as good defensively.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Yet he was still very good overall defensively. Yes, he made a few mistakes, but so did everyone else. I highly doubt we had anyone that could come in and cover as well as he did overall.

Everyone keeps saying play Addison, but let's be real, he's not a top 4 NHL defenseman right now, because he's no where near as good defensively.
I’m not calling for Addison, I think that ship has sailed. But there were other options/possibilities like changing forward lines around and other d pairings he could’ve made. He could’ve done SOMETHING to try to change it up other than just swapping a 4th liner. I mean not going to Talbot in at least game 5 was ridiculous enough, but now I’m getting away more from Dumba.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The contract has not aged gracefully.

I wonder if Dumba’s head’s not in the right spot with the writing being on the wall for his imminent departure. I mean, Addison is emerging and be have Faber looking NHL ready. Sturgeon is also here until the end of time.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
So disappointing , I’ve been a dumba advocate since his first game. This new effort he’s putting down is baffling. Seemingly has learned nothing and his intangibles are non existent

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Dumba as a person- hard not to. His physical talent that he brought into the league was undeniable, but you put up with the gaffes because he was,

A - young

B - provided vg offense

I think we all thought that he would be a fixture on the PP for years to come, and be putting 50-60 pts/yr. We were fine with him getting a 6M/yr contract back in 2018 because of that.

Since getting that contract he has been a sub 30 pt/yr Dman, and that's with PP TOI. His defense has gotten better, but is not anyone's definition of a shutdown guy. It's frustrating seeing him continue to make mistakes and exhibit poor judgement out there- it's like he isn't able to learn, and that's not good, because he is not adding a lot on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad