Value of: Matt Duchene

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Eichel over Duchene is debatable, but Domi over him is laughable. Isn’t he a winger anyways? Or did he move to C in Montreal?

Duchene hasn’t been the most consistent but still a very good player and definitely a 1 C on majority of teams. Yes his attitude does need a huge change but still. You can’t blame players for venting some of their thoughts when their team isn’t doing well and isn’t trying. Idk where your getting “ a long and disappointing history on the ice” from

He has a long and disappointing history on the ice because he hasn't even hit the modest 60-point bar was five seasons ago. Five. We're talking about a guy who was a dynamo at 22, 23 years old wreaking havoc and being the top dog of a very flashy Colorado offense. 70 points at that age was so promising but he unfortunately looks more and more like one of those players who peak early.

Under 60 point is underwhelming by any standard for a legit first line center but it's even worse when that player doesn't bring much else on the table than offensive production. I used to notice this guy anytime he was on the ice and now he is completely invisible half the time. He's had the decline curve of what you would expect in a player 7 years older than he is.

I don't even like Eichel as much as most but man... he is so far ahead of Matt Duchene it's not even debatable. And Domi is playing awesome hockey centering the first line in Montreal, playing a very well-rounded game. Even though Duchene has had a relatively good start this year (will he shit the bed after a few games like last season?), at this point I'd take Domi without hesitation.

If only it was about hockey-related matters, Duchene would still be an overrated but OK asset. It's the absolutely shitty attitude that makes him a negative value. This guy is obviously selfish, feels entitled and his whining is locker room poison. I hope for him he turns it around. Maybe a team that has amazing chemistry and stable leadership can rein him in. Otherwise, he is probably bound for a directionless bottom feeding team.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This is an over reaction. Look at twitter. A bunch of ex NHLers have all come out and said that this is common, for players to mock a coach. He isn't a locker room cancer, I see a bunch of players bonding together and the fact that Duchene busts his ass every game even when they are down 8-1.

Ottawas penalty kill IS garbage. He was right. The only thing I am taking away from the video is that the team has lost confidence in the assistant coach. The same assistant coach they kicked off the bench earlier this year.

I want Ottawa to re-sign Duchene.

Would not surprise me if players complain at times about their coaches, GM or even owners between themselves.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He'd be a good fit for the Wild. Not sure i'd giveup too much to go after him.
Maybe one of Nino/Coyle? Both have smaller cap hits than Duchene. Coyle's is much less. That would be of interest to OTT, I'm guessing.

I don't know that GM Fenton would be crazy about signing him to a long term deal at big bucks. The Wild do have a mature dressing room. I think they could more than handle Duchene.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You'd have to get high first, before trading a high 1st++ for Duchene.
Pretty much have to include either Nino or Brodin for cap to work, which would mean very little in futures added. Which probably doesn't work for Ottawa.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Other than Aho, the Canes don't have a big name up the middle; Duchene would fit in there but Melnyk would want something similar to what he paid for him.

Would Bean + 2019 1st for a signed Duchene work?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
We're just going to sign him this offseason. It's where he wants to play.
Possibly. A little public (And quite possibly therapeutic) griping with his buddies shouldn't end his time with the organization. If he stops complaining and goes silent the Sens have to worry and cut him loose.

Re: value - I wouldn't trade him for less than a first and primary prospect. I wonder if the Sens would be interested in a contract dump to help sweeten the return.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pretty much have to include either Nino or Brodin for cap to work, which would mean very little in futures added. Which probably doesn't work for Ottawa.
Oh, the owner would be fine with Coyle. Saves 2.8M /yr. on cap. Neither player will score as much as Duchene, but are signed, and bring a defensive presence and physicality that Duchene can't.

If OTT wants to sign(pay) as a FA, they are welcome to. In that case, it would be a win/win, for them. Don't know about the Wild. Mid season additions have a way of not working out.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Other than Aho, the Canes don't have a big name up the middle; Duchene would fit in there but Melnyk would want something similar to what he paid for him.

Would Bean + 2019 1st for a signed Duchene work?
Part of a season of Duchene is worth less than 2 seasons of Duchene.

Reactions: triggrman

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Could see him going to Minny for something like:

Duchene (unsigned)

for

Eriksson-Ek + 2019 (top 10 protected) 1st

or

Duchene (signed 7.5 x 7yr)

for

Eriksson-Ek + Greenway + 2019 (top 10 protected) 1st

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Could see him going to Minny for something like:

Duchene (unsigned)
for
Eriksson-Ek + 2019 (top 10 protected) 1st

or

Duchene (signed 7.5 x 7yr)
for
Eriksson-Ek + Greenway + 2019 (top 10 protected) 1st

I can't. Because the Wild can't make that cap work without including a quality player in return.

So a trade to Minnesota would be a hockey trade. Wild get Duchene, Ottawa gets Nino + 3rd or B prospect like Sam Anas. Something in that realm.

Which isn't completely insane for Dorian, acquiring an extremely under-utilized top 6 Winger signed with Term, given that Ottawa's established players all kind of seem to be on the verge of leaving or wanting out. I'm sure Ottawa fans would prefer a full rebuild type trade.

Reactions: nt3005

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Eichel over Duchene is debatable, but Domi over him is laughable. Isn’t he a winger anyways? Or did he move to C in Montreal?

Duchene hasn’t been the most consistent but still a very good player and definitely a 1 C on majority of teams. Yes his attitude does need a huge change but still. You can’t blame players for venting some of their thoughts when their team isn’t doing well and isn’t trying. Idk where your getting “ a long and disappointing history on the ice” from
Eichel is not remotely close to debateable. No one would take Duchene over Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad