Value of: Matt Duchene

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Ottawa should at least get a 1st rd pick for him still- Draft Nolan Foote. Start the rebuild with character people like Tkachuk & Foote as your core...

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Too rich for my blood.

If that’s the going price, we’ll just wait for free agency and blow our load then. There’s no way he’s signing in Ottawa.

Really? Interesting, you know your team better then I do so fair enough but I disagree.

All your giving up:
- low first
- Someone you sent down (even on waivers correct?)
- Someone some of you guys consider a bust

Plus I think you would sign Duchene cheaper long term in a trade rather than FA

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
1C on your team...

I don't really consider I have a (NHL) team. I was using a figure of speech. But I suppose you're using my location or my avatar to guess? In both cases I'd prefer Eichel and even Domi over Duchene.

Duchene is an inconsistent player who is simply not worth the trouble his rotten attitude brings. And he has too long a history of disappointing on the ice to be worth much, IMO

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don't really consider I have a (NHL) team. I was using a figure of speech. But I suppose you're using my location or my avatar to guess? In both cases I'd prefer Eichel and even Domi over Duchene.

Duchene is an inconsistent player who is simply not worth the trouble his rotten attitude brings. And he has too long a history of disappointing on the ice to be worth much, IMO

Eichel over Duchene is debatable, but Domi over him is laughable. Isn’t he a winger anyways? Or did he move to C in Montreal?

Duchene hasn’t been the most consistent but still a very good player and definitely a 1 C on majority of teams. Yes his attitude does need a huge change but still. You can’t blame players for venting some of their thoughts when their team isn’t doing well and isn’t trying. Idk where your getting “ a long and disappointing history on the ice” from

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No thanks. We've had rumours about guys who have issues in our locker room in the past, and we do not need that here. Flames brass has made it clear that they want guys that wanna play in Calgary. I'd love Duchene as a #2 center, but we can't afford him even without his baggage, so hopefully we skip this one out.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Really? Interesting, you know your team better then I do so fair enough but I disagree.

All your giving up:
- low first
- Someone you sent down (even on waivers correct?)
- Someone some of you guys consider a bust

Plus I think you would sign Duchene cheaper long term in a trade rather than FA
While I hope you are right that the Devils have a low first next year, it is much too early too tell. We have struggled to find secondary scoring. An injury to one of our first line players could really hurt us. Have you seen our forward lines the last few games?

The mistake Ottawa made was trading an asset (2019 first round pick) that they could not value. The Devils should not make the same mistake for Duchene. The Devils need to keep their high draft picks and start hitting on them. That is how cup contenders are built. Since the Devils are not a cup contender with or without Duchene, IMO we should just pass on a short term fix like Duchene and concentrate on the long term.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
While I hope you are right that the Devils have a low first next year, it is much too early too tell. We have struggled to find secondary scoring. An injury to one of our first line players could really hurt us. Have you seen our forward lines the last few games?

The mistake Ottawa made was trading an asset (2019 first round pick) that they could not value. The Devils should not make the same mistake for Duchene. The Devils need to keep their high draft picks and start hitting on them. That is how cup contenders are built. Since the Devils are not a cup contender with or without Duchene, IMO we should just pass on a short term fix like Duchene and concentrate on the long term.

a signed Matt Duchene would absolutely be a long term move. He would solidify the 2nd line, which according to you (and I agree) is our biggest weakness right now. Not sure I am following your logic there....

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
I can't wait to see when he does get traded and the responses from all the people who thought he was worth garbage. people be real. ottawa is a shit show. everyone knows that. they just lost against tb with 30 seconds left due to stupid coaching. nothing duchene said is wrong. he's frustrated that they're not winning due to garbage coaching.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
If he’s traded to SJ? A “GM of the year” coffee mug and a conditional 6th rounder

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Pierre Dorion-Needs to be fired! It will be easier for a new GM to clean up his mistakes. It will be easier for a new GM to trade Duchene..

Fire Boucher- and replace him with Crawford for the rest of the year. At the very least Crawford should have the respect from his players as he has won the stanley cup and coached some of the best players in the world.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
a signed Matt Duchene would absolutely be a long term move. He would solidify the 2nd line, which according to you (and I agree) is our biggest weakness right now. Not sure I am following your logic there....
I see MD as a similar Taylor Hall situation. A talented guy who wants to win. He got moved from the Avs and they bounced back. Now on a team that is just a mess internally. Edm went to the playoffs the year after Hall was gone and it was "see it was Hall" Hall was not the same player the year he got traded and the team was not good, but now look at him! I think MD would be a similar situation and what would be better than a Taylor Hall showing him around the place? MD may not be a good locker room guy, GMs will know all that, but if Shero can get him cheaper now because of this video and hype about not good in locker is not true, he fits a need of a #2C (really a 1A IMO).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Duchene is nowhere near Hall's talent. He is a bit of an enigma, and has disappointing production compared to the expectations he set with his play at the beginning of his career.

As an expiring contract, and as someone who is young enough to command a large contract off someone in the off season, I would say that he has poor value. Maybe a later 1st, a decent but unwanted prospect(JHS?, though who wants that coming back to such a troubled franchise), and an expiring, but smaller, contract coming back for cap purposes?

The guy still could have a few years ahead of him as a borderline #1C, or he could be a disappointing middle six player. Wouldn't want to be a GM investing 40-45M in him.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
This is an over reaction. Look at twitter. A bunch of ex NHLers have all come out and said that this is common, for players to mock a coach. He isn't a locker room cancer, I see a bunch of players bonding together and the fact that Duchene busts his ass every game even when they are down 8-1.

Ottawas penalty kill IS garbage. He was right. The only thing I am taking away from the video is that the team has lost confidence in the assistant coach. The same assistant coach they kicked off the bench earlier this year.

I want Ottawa to re-sign Duchene.

Reactions: TFHockey

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Duchene is nowhere near Hall's talent. He is a bit of an enigma, and has disappointing production compared to the expectations he set with his play at the beginning of his career.

As an expiring contract, and as someone who is young enough to command a large contract off someone in the off season, I would say that he has poor value. Maybe a later 1st, a decent but unwanted prospect(JHS?, though who wants that coming back to such a troubled franchise), and an expiring, but smaller, contract coming back for cap purposes?

The guy still could have a few years ahead of him as a borderline #1C, or he could be a disappointing middle six player. Wouldn't want to be a GM investing 40-45M in him.
This. You do not trade a potentially appreciating asset (a first round pick that could be a lottery pick) for an asset that could be declining in value in a short period of time unless you are in a cup window. A late first from a cup contender is the best I could see Ottawa getting. What is highly valuable in the NHL is a first round pick that produces on their early contracts where their production exceeds what the team is paying them. At best Duchene will perform equal to his contract. I do not know why people have such a hard time understanding that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad