Value of: Matt Duchene

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We've been a **** show for years. Karlsson just covered the mess up with his epicness.
No doubt Colorado is happy that they are winning. Ask any real Avs fan if Duchene was the reason they had missed the playoffs for so many years.
Im real Avs fan and the answer to your question is no Matt is far from the reason.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
What do you expect them to say?

Maybe it is just employees venting and criticizing their boss - but it was out in public. It was a couple of veterans who should know enough to try and foster a positive attitude, especially knowing the **** show their team has been going through. Those veterans were saying these things to and in front of, young players and rookies. They certainly should know better.

I may be blowing this out of proportion but I will stick by my opinion of Duchene. Wouldn't have him on my team.

Uh, are you serious? Have you seen how the media and ex-NHLers have reacted to every other story out of Ottawa??

You have your opinion and you don't want to change it, regardless of the facts and the opinions of people with experience and expertise in the matter. Let's call a spade a spade here. You thought you smelled blood and that was fun for you - now that it appears to be otherwise, you're aimlessly thrashing your jaw around... maybe it will look like you actually got someone?

Like the Colorado Avalanche, who have been much, much better and a lot happier since he left. Also the Ottawa Senators who have been a **** show since he arrived.

Just like the Sens have been better without Karlsson but the Sharks have been worse!
And just like the Sens have been better without Phaneuf but the Kings have been worse!
And just like the Sens have been better without Hoffman but the Panthers have been worse!

I wonder which one of these trades we can use to tightly wrap all the fortunes of multiple organizations up into a nice, straight-forward, tidy little bow.

Reactions: zaqq and Karlstrobe

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Uh, are you serious? Have you seen how the media and ex-NHLers have reacted to every other story out of Ottawa??

You have your opinion and you don't want to change it, regardless of the facts and the opinions of people with experience and expertise in the matter. Let's call a spade a spade here. You thought you smelled blood and that was fun for you - now that it appears to be otherwise, you're aimlessly thrashing your jaw around... maybe it will look like you actually got someone?

Just like the Sens have been better without Karlsson but the Sharks have been worse!
And just like the Sens have been better without Phaneuf but the Kings have been worse!
And just like the Sens have been better without Hoffman but the Panthers have been worse!

I wonder which one of these trades we can use to tightly wrap all the fortunes of multiple organizations up into a nice, straight-forward, tidy little bow.

Thanks for the free psychoanalysis. :laugh: Worth every penny I paid for it.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

The Sharks are significantly better with Karlsson than they were without him.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The Sharks are significantly better with Karlsson than they were without him.

They're a better team, for sure, but they are winning less (on average). Anyways, I was not trying to actually say that Karlsson is not a hugely positive addition for the Sharks... I am merely pointing out that correlation does not equal causation.

Reactions: zaqq

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
They're a better team, for sure, but they are winning less (on average). Anyways, I was not trying to actually say that Karlsson is not a hugely positive addition for the Sharks... I am merely pointing out that correlation does not equal causation.

Come on dude, it’s 15 games in and they are on pace for 104 points, which would be the most they’ve had since 2013-2014.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Come on dude, it’s 15 games in and they are on pace for 104 points, which would be the most they’ve had since 2013-2014.

I wasn't actually making that argument. I calculated wins and that wasn't a perfect system because, again... I was not actually arguing that the Sharks are worse. Hell, the fact that I arbitrarily chose wins instead of points only serves to further illustrate what I am trying to get across. Cherry-picking data and allowing correlation to equal causation will allow you to suit any argument for yourself, and the argument that Duchene is at the heart of our struggles is, in fact, a ridiculously weak one - one that pretty well every Sens fan, even those who criticize every aspect of the club, would disagree with pretty vehemently.

Do you think Hoffman is the reason the Panthers are struggling? Is Brassard the reason the Pens didn't win the Cup? Or maybe Ian Cole? I suspect you don't believe any of those things. Nor should you. They have threadlike tethers to reality and little else beyond that.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Okay... again.... I wasn't actually making that argument. I calculated wins and that wasn't a perfect system because, again... I was not actually arguing that the Sharks are worse. Hell, the fact that I arbitrarily chose wins instead of points only serves to further illustrate what I am trying to get across. Cherry-picking data and allowing correlation to equal causation will allow you to suit any argument for yourself, and the argument that Duchene is at the heart of our struggles is, in fact, a ridiculously weak one - one that pretty well every Sens fan, even those who criticize every aspect of the club, would disagree with pretty vehemently.

Do you think Hoffman is the reason the Panthers are struggling? Is Brassard the reason the Pens didn't win the Cup? Or maybe Ian Cole? I suspect you don't believe any of those things. Nor should you. They have threadlike tethers to reality and little else beyond that.

I thought you actually meant all of that stuff. There are plenty of people on here who do and so it’s difficult to differentiate.

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Duchene also invited half his teammates from the Avs/ex-Avs after he was traded, here's the list of players that were invited:

Tyson Barrie, Joe Colbourne, Nate Guenin, Nick Holden, Erik Johnson, Gabe Landeskog, John-Michael Liles, Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Quincey, Fedor Tyutin, Calvin Pickard

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
No, no. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was being deliberately loony tunes there.

Poe's law, I suppoes.

People also sure make way too much of a big deal over small sample sizes as well.

Francis Perron is the leading scorer on the 2nd best team in the AHL with 11 points in 11 games, but I am certainly not deluding myself into thinking that he will actually amount to something valuable in the long term. I'm also sure as hell not going to say that he is, say, better than Rudolfs Balcers because he has produced better than Balcers in this small sample size.

As you grows to understand the game of hockey, and watches more seasons from start to finish, you realize that random things like Erik Karlsson being under 0.5PPG with the worst +/- on his team through 15 games, and Chris Tierney being sub PPG, just randomly happen sometimes. You also grow to realize that as frustrating (or exciting) these things may be, they tend to balance themselves out over time.

Francis Perron is, most likely, a nothing player. He is probably a career AHLer and not even the elite AHLer that his statistics in this small sample size say that he is. On a similar note, Chris Tierney is probably a 3rd line center whose poor defensive play at ES may make him less than optimal in that position on a Cup contending team, Dylan DeMelo is probably a bit better than he was in San Jose and is maybe a decent #6D, and Erik Karlsson is probably going to be one of the best players in the NHL by the time the playoffs start. 10-15 games shouldn't change any of that in the eyes of an experienced hockey fan who knows these players pretty well.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’d have a lot of time for Duchene on the Sharks, but I doubt Dorion is looking to trade another top player to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->