Matt Duchene

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I may be hopelessly optimistic, but my gut tells me sens brass is going to try to sign both Stone and Duchene at the same time (and announce at the same time), and the players both probably want the same as well since it indicates their commitment to icing a semi-competitive team. Can't negotiate with Stone till January, and announcing that both have signed similar contracts may be the jumpstart the fanbase, marketing dept, and locker room needs. Hell the whole city could use some good news about their shitty professional hockey team

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
A normal team sends Duchene packing after the uber video. You cant make these guys sign anything so there is that problem
saSf8od.gif

Awesomeakel

Feb 16, 2016
I don’t think that the team is sitting back waiting for fans to show up, they all seem to be going about their business and doing whatever they can to get people out to games. The front office is giving out freebies like crazy, the GM is busy with his rebuild and has some big decisions to make, the coach is focusing on developing this young team, and the players are doing their best to win games.

I hear you, but there are so many arenas around the league that are not full. To be honest I think that the league is out growing most teams. Three teams are generating too much money for the rest to keep up with the cap. I think a city like Ottawa should be able to fill the arena at a reasonable price point and have that be enough to fund a competitive team, in a perfect world of course, but money rules and we obviously haven’t reached the breaking point yet.

I think for players they want quality of life, teammates that are fun to lay with and be around, and an organization that takes care of them. Of course that’s mostly secondary to getting paid. Ottawa has all of that, And I’m not sure that the players are as spiteful towards the owner as the fans are.

Teammates That are fun to lay with? Sorry, know what you meant, just really tired and bad humour on My part :p

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
the GM is busy with his rebuild and has some big decisions to make, the coach is focusing on developing this young team, and the players are doing their best to win games.
The general manager of this team is napping in his bunker. He has already missed a few opportunities to improve our team, via waivers, or to give Andy some help, but is either not allowed to, or refuses to.

I think for players they want quality of life, teammates that are fun to lay with and be around, and an organization that takes care of them. Of course that’s mostly secondary to getting paid. Ottawa has all of that, And I’m not sure that the players are as spiteful towards the owner as the fans are
If you have ever met someone who has ever worked for the Ottawa Senators, they will tell you that this organization is not known for taking care of their employees.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I may be hopelessly optimistic, but my gut tells me sens brass is going to try to sign both Stone and Duchene at the same time (and announce at the same time), and the players both probably want the same as well since it indicates their commitment to icing a semi-competitive team. Can't negotiate with Stone till January, and announcing that both have signed similar contracts may be the jumpstart the fanbase, marketing dept, and locker room needs. Hell the whole city could use some good news about their ****ty professional hockey team

Yeah that's probably overly optimistic.

If this org could get either one extended long term it would have happened by now.

If anything, Duchene might be more likely to after having an injury. But I also think he was headed to UFA with a near or confirmed career year in his back pocket (until this week).

I fully believe Stone is going UFA.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We've been able to sign Duchene for 5 months now. We're 3 months away from the trade deadline. But no numbers have been discussed? Really?

In these "meetings" that Dorion is having, what the hell are they talking about?

If the Sens still don't know what Duchene's intentions are, well, just add that to the list of incompetence.

From a realistic perspective, Duchene and Stone have already made it pretty clear what they're going to do.

Looking forward to the "we got real good pieces" press conference...

IF you were Duchene's agent, why would you want your client to accept and sign an extension, on July 1st, if you can think Matt can increase his value, and bargaining power, by playing well, putting up points all while the TDL keeps getting closer?

Yes it's a gamble, and now that he's been injured, it just may affect his bargaining power prior to the TDL or after July 1st next year.

You can't just assume that Ottawa doesn't, or won't know his intentions prior to the TDL, and if they did, why would they make it public? PD has always been pretty quiet, when it comes to details regarding contract negotiations ....... as it's never good for anyone, once they start "bargaining" in the media.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I think Duchene stays for everything you outlined above ^

Plus, Tkachuk-White-Stone could be a gorgeous top line in couple years.

Coyle-Duchene-Batherson could be another great line that has it all

Balcers-Chlapik-Tiereny

Smith-Pageau-XXXX

Could be great

I remember you furiously pumping the "Karlsson is staying" narrative as well. Your glasses are a few tints too rosy.

As others have stated, if Duchene wanted to be here, he already would have signed the ticket. This bullshit about "not wanting to know/the agent just comes to me when something is done" is bullshit. You better believe Duchene knows all the numbers coming out.

He'll be traded come January. Great job Pierre and Eugene!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
IF you were Duchene's agent, why would you want your client to accept and sign an extension, on July 1st, if you can think Matt can increase his value, and bargaining power, by playing well, putting up points all while the TDL keeps getting closer?

Yes it's a gamble, and now that he's been injured, it just may affect his bargaining power prior to the TDL or after July 1st next year.

You can't just assume that Ottawa doesn't, or won't know his intentions prior to the TDL, and if they did, why would they make it public? PD has always been pretty quiet, when it comes to details regarding contract negotiations ....... as it's never good for anyone, once they start "bargaining" in the media.

“A few weeks ago there was actually some talk about maybe Duchene and Ottawa coming a little closer to a contract extension,” said Nick Kypreos on Saturday’s Headlines on Hockey Night in Canada. “I can tell you, no numbers were ever exchanged. But that won’t keep the Ottawa Senators from asking eventually what his intentions are.”

It's reasonable to believe that Duchene and his agent would want to wait regardless, but why, 5 months into being able to negotiate, have the Senators not even begun discussing contract numbers to get a feel of what ballpark each party is in?

Wouldn't it have made sense to have a good framework in place with Duchene, or at least have a good understanding of his needs, before January 1st, so that after, you could focus on Stone?

Reactions: branch

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

It's reasonable to believe that Duchene and his agent would want to wait regardless, but why, 5 months into being able to negotiate, have the Senators not even begun discussing contract numbers to get a feel of what ballpark each party is in?

Wouldn't it have made sense to have a good framework in place with Duchene, or at least have a good understanding if his needs, before January 1st, so that after, you could focus on Stone?

No, they would rather juggle 2 at once. We know that this management group is capable of managing 2 complex negotiations at the same time.

h8BF90A46

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Wouldn't it have made sense to have a good framework in place with Duchene, or at least have a good understanding of his needs, before January 1st, so that after, you could focus on Stone?

It could be that Duchene wants to see what happens with Stone, and whether or not he re-signs with Ottawa, or not.

I also don't take Kypreos 's comments as the truth, unless he's been sitting in on the meetings.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So we are exactly in the same position as we were with Ryan,we either overpay which means by being a budget team we get to watch these great players in their prime wither away ..Playing for an owner that wont the money left...To do what it takes to actually put the very best team around them...Or we move them for far less than what they are worth...Seems pretty much the same bullshit we have all seen since they dropped the very first puck in the Civic Center....

Ottawa,s fanbase will take the blame ,as per usual...With the owner spouting off about how we dont support the team and lack of corporate money....Yet what has EM done ???From what I have seen precious little,except whine and cry and issue blame everywhere else except where it truly belongs....

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It could be that Duchene wants to see what happens with Stone, and whether or not he re-signs with Ottawa, or not.

I also don't take Kypreos 's comments as the truth, unless he's been sitting in on the meetings.

Sure, but again, Duchene wanting to see what happens with Stone doesn't affect Ottawa's ability to make an actual contract offer. He could certainly reject it, but there'd be a starting point. Why haven't they made an offer yet? Why haven't they opened the negotiations to see how Duchene's camp reacts?

Kypreos said that they haven't exchanged any numbers, but they've had 5 months, and it's easy to find comparables.

8 years, $64 million with a NMC in the first 4 years, NTC in the last 4. That's a reasonable opening offer. Can't be that hard to put it in front of Duchene, can it?

The onus to make the first move is on Dorion, not Duchene. Why hasn't he made it?

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sure, but again, Duchene wanting to see what happens with Stone doesn't affect Ottawa's ability to make an actual contract offer. He could certainly reject it, but there'd be a starting point. Why haven't they made an offer yet? Why haven't they opened the negotiations to see how Duchene's camp reacts?

They've had 5 months, and it's easy to find comparables.

8 years, $64 million with a NMC in the first 4 years, NTC in the last 4. That's a reasonable opening offer. Can't be that hard to put it in front of Duchene, can it?
They could also talk to both at the same time and offer up contracts ....But you know that is against the rules lol

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Kypreos said that they haven't exchanged any numbers, but they've had 5 months, and it's easy to find comparables.

The onus to make the first move is on Dorion, not Duchene. Why hasn't he made it?

Duchene demanded his way off his last team because they were not good enough. I have no idea why anyone would think he isnt going to look for a better team. I would assume that he is ignoring anything dorian says.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I don’t think that the team is sitting back waiting for fans to show up, they all seem to be going about their business and doing whatever they can to get people out to games. The front office is giving out freebies like crazy, the GM is busy with his rebuild and has some big decisions to make, the coach is focusing on developing this young team, and the players are doing their best to win games.

I hear you, but there are so many arenas around the league that are not full. To be honest I think that the league is out growing most teams. Three teams are generating too much money for the rest to keep up with the cap. I think a city like Ottawa should be able to fill the arena at a reasonable price point and have that be enough to fund a competitive team, in a perfect world of course, but money rules and we obviously haven’t reached the breaking point yet.

I think for players they want quality of life, teammates that are fun to lay with and be around, and an organization that takes care of them. Of course that’s mostly secondary to getting paid. Ottawa has all of that, And I’m not sure that the players are as spiteful towards the owner as the fans are.

Yes, thank you. The team is trying. I believe they can do better, much much better. And I agree with your last paragraph wholeheartedly. Depending on the player, I don't think they care who the owner is, if there are fans in the building (hey, players renew contracts in florida?), or really anything to do with the business side, so long as they get paid and the team has a chance to win.

But where I do feel it impacts players is their perception of how competent the leadership is in temrs of creating that chance to win. This probably isn't the case for rookies, but players that have been in one organization are now able to compare the sens against it. Are the sens operating internally at the same level of professionalism/competency as other teams?

Here's an example: ex-player gets invited to work with the team on pro-scouting. When he arrives he finds out that pro-scouts are not being sent to games, and have to watch tape instead. Further, the lack of structure and oversight is shocking to him. This ex-player has played for, and worked with, many other teams and this is in his opinion, a trainwreck of an ops department.

Now, you don't have to believe that this is a true story, and I am not naming names. But if you are Duchene, and you are getting the same impression (Uber video certainly doesn't indicate anything otherwise), how much faith do you have that the team will get it's act together frequently enough to compete when we are already hand-cuffed by a small market budget?

There all kinds of reasons why players have left the org, but you still have to wonder why the only players that have voluntarily signed a new contract with the Sens since Murray passed are grinders.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Whether it is Duchene or Stone this is their window of opportunity to really cash in long term. If Ottawa is indeed in the mix then they will have to open the vault because everyone knows many other NHL teams will!!
The major obstacle in all of this is the fact that Melnyk is the owner and he has become masterful at putting things "off the rails" and very little to put things back "on the rails"!
This downward spiral is too hard to overlook and players and agents know it all too well! Nothing new here!
Perhaps a Christmas miracle is in the works.
Lets hope the ghost of Christmas future will make a visit and point out "what could have been" for EM!

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Even if we put in an offer like that, it’s the bonus structure that we can’t do.

This new trend with bonuses is going to cripple any team Melnyk runs.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You know what Matt Duchene could do? Just ask Mark Stone what his intentions are.

Wow, did you just come up with that?

Of course they've shared notes on re-signing with Ottawa, and they'll know if the team is playing them off against each other or not, just a sure Ottawa knows that they've been comparing notes.

Now that Duchene is out of the line up "week to week" let's see what happens with Mark Stone, as he seems to be the priority, imo, for the team and the fans ......... and whatever he's offered, or signs for, will have an affect on Duchene's plans.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I remember you furiously pumping the "Karlsson is staying" narrative as well. Your glasses are a few tints too rosy.

As others have stated, if Duchene wanted to be here, he already would have signed the ticket. This bull**** about "not wanting to know/the agent just comes to me when something is done" is bull****. You better believe Duchene knows all the numbers coming out.

He'll be traded come January. Great job Pierre and Eugene!

I had inside sources on EK staying. Really good ones, but they crumbled hardcore cause something happened. The trade wasn't supposed to happen; another scenario was. In regards to Duchene, I don't think he'll be traded; if he is though, meh as long as we net a great package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad