Matt Duchene

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The opinions of those 5 people are JUST as valid as the opinions of those other 95 people. It is of no significance that there's a lot more people with an opposing opinion.

It's not his fault that those 95 people choose to be so negative and spiral into dark places. Always look on the bright side of life.
Thanks for the infinite wisdom.

I guess you are part of the 5-10

Reactions: foggyvisor

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So if we sign our big guns what is going to be left ???This team cant continue to spend at the bottom of the league and expect the fans to believe its not going to more of the same BS that it has been now for over a decade.....The cap was supposed to be the mechanism that allowed us to compete on a equal footing....Yet we never go near the damn cap ,and continue to bleed assets because of it ....

IF EM cant properly fund this team to success than he needs to go
Signing both is a good way to start rebuilding trust within the fanbase.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
566048-1536864832-wide.jpg

Isn't this the picture of hope? :laugh: Man... Between Melnyk and Dorion .. it's really hard to understand why we pull for this franchise.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If they were looking to rebuild trust both sigings would of been done in the summer.

True. But if they do sign, will anyone complain that it wasn't done in the summer? I don't think this summer was what one would describe as a typical off season, even for Ottawa.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
True. But if they do sign, will anyone complain that it wasn't done in the summer? I don't think this summer was what one would describe as a typical off season, even for Ottawa.

No one will complain, but with every day that goes by, the chances of re-signing Stone and Duchene before the trade deadline goes down.

The challenge for Dorion is clear: Try and sign two star players to eight-year contract extensions between now and the trade deadline.
But to put it simply, we’ve reached a window where it’s virtually unheard of to sign a player to an eight-year contract.
That’s not to say it’s impossible – just that recent history suggests it is highly unusual.

https://www.tsn.ca/recent-history-s...ed-territory-on-duchene-stone-deals-1.1223966

Put yourself in their shoes. Why wouldn't you wait the extra 3 months to test the market if you've already waited this long? The primary reasons for signing before your UFA season (hedging against the risk of injury or poor performance) are effectively gone, so why not go to market and see what's out there? You can always pull a Stamkos and still re-sign with Ottawa, but at the very least, you can negotiate more a more favorable deal by pitting teams against each other.

Unless Ottawa blows them away with an above-market offer (10M+/season), what's the incentive to sign a couple months before UFA? For either guy?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

How can you have traded for Duchene last year and you STILL don’t have his contract numbers? I get being busy, but you don’t know the cost of retaining your #1 Center - no wonder this team is a complete gong show.

Reactions: Gesus and Beville

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
No one will complain, but with every day that goes by, the chances of re-signing Stone and Duchene before the trade deadline goes down.

https://www.tsn.ca/recent-history-s...ed-territory-on-duchene-stone-deals-1.1223966

Put yourself in their shoes. Why wouldn't you wait the extra 3 months to test the market if you've already waited this long? The primary reasons for signing before your UFA season (hedging against the risk of injury or poor performance) are effectively gone, so why not go to market and see what's out there? You can always pull a Stamkos and still re-sign with Ottawa, but at the very least, you can negotiate more a more favorable deal by pitting teams against each other.

Unless Ottawa blows them away with an above-market offer (10M+/season), what's the incentive to sign a couple months before UFA? For either guy?

Imagine if Ottawa did sign Duchene a 10-11m per year deal on 8 years, with front-loaded bonus structure and full NMC.

Most anger filled celebration ever.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
How can you have traded for Duchene last year and you STILL don’t have his contract numbers? I get being busy, but you don’t know the cost of retaining your #1 Center - no wonder this team is a complete gong show.

That is if you choose to believe Nick Kypreos. Bob McKenzie did not imply anything of the sort , other than talks were progressing well. You never know with the media, but by and large McKenzie over Kypreos .

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Honestly Kypreos is way out of line here IMO. Both parties have met several times according to Mackenzie and Lebrun, I highly doubt they didn't talk about numbers. To be fair Kypreos is an absolute fraud most of the stuff he says makes no sense.

Reactions: coladin

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I think we’ve established that you are not a pending UFA so you have no idea what they are thinking. We will know after the TDL.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Only about 5-10 posters here agree with your POV, but the 95% of the other posters are the ones that "lack common sense". Ok then.

The 95% that think some money man should pay players out of his own pocket?.Sounds like a serious lack of common sense.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The 95% that think some money man should pay players out of his own pocket?.Sounds like a serious lack of common sense.

The horrors of owning a pro hockey team! It requires capital investment! Who woulda thunk!

Maybe Melnyk should just put his money in a Tangerine investment fund. Little risk, nice returns and low fees. You should let him know.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
The horrors of owning a pro hockey team! It requires capital investment! Who woulda thunk!

Maybe Melnyk should just put his money in a Tangerine investment fund. Little risk, nice returns and low fees. You should let him know.

Not sure that works either. I called Tangerine and said that I wanted to invest a million dollars, and they said that's great!

But then I said I also wanted to borrow a million dollars because I don't have the money for the investment and they hung up on me.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The opinions of those 5 people are JUST as valid as the opinions of those other 95 people. It is of no significance that there's a lot more people with an opposing opinion.

It's not his fault that those 95 people choose to be so negative and spiral into dark places. Always look on the bright side of life.

Quite appropriate considering how the fans of this team have been crucified over the last year.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

The horrors of having to pay for your own entertainment you mean? Oh no thats right some money man owes you instead.
He invested over 100 million by the way, more then any of you all that act like you are owed so much

But thanks for proving my point.

Im not spending my money on this team, I demand it spend money on me!

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Honestly Kypreos is way out of line here IMO. Both parties have met several times according to Mackenzie and Lebrun, I highly doubt they didn't talk about numbers. To be fair Kypreos is an absolute fraud most of the stuff he says makes no sense.

How wack is Kypreos? On Sportsnet, he stated that if the Leafs go for Pietrangelo, a no.1 d, he thinks that they will not lose their top 5 forwards. Marner, Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and Kadri are safe lol.

Kapanen would be the key to the package. :laugh::laugh::naughty::laugh:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
The horrors of having to pay for your own entertainment you mean? Oh no thats right some money man owes you instead.
He invested over 100 million by the way, more then any of you all that act like you are owed so much

Melnyk is operating a cap floor team.... every time a players about to get paid, they are dealt

Look at the Sens blue line... it’s a joke
Clubs invested 9.0 into the blue line and half of it is going to Ceci
Hahahahaha

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

100 percent correct just another giant error from ownership and management or whatever you want to call it. How can we expect anything less at this point.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

See you have this backwards which is not suprising. I did spend money i have been spending thousands yearly. Its when you and your boss stopped spending with Hossa, Havlat, Alfie, Chara, Methot, Karlsson soon to add Duchene, Stone and Dzingel and the list will continue to go on and on. Then I was told I was a bad fan after dropping 400 dollars on the winter classic. Thats when i finally said enough is enough if you are too dense to see the pattern then keep your head in the sand. Your comments to paying fans for over 20 years fall directly in line with the IDIOT that owns this team. Patronizing and insulting. Thats why there is 11000 fans at the game the fact that you cant see it just shows how ignorant you are.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Melnyk is operating a cap floor team.... every time a players about to get paid, they are dealt

Look at the Sens blue line... it’s a joke
Clubs invested 9.0 into the blue line and half of it is going to Ceci
Hahahahaha
Every time?

Don't think so. Other than Karlsson, who else was there?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
See you have this backwards which is not suprising. I did spend money i have been spending thousands yearly. Its when you and your boss stopped spending with Hossa, Havlat, Alfie, Chara, Methot, Karlsson soon to add Duchene, Stone and Dzingel and the list will continue to go on and on. Then I was told I was a bad fan after dropping 400 dollars on the winter classic. Thats when i finally said enough is enough if you are too dense to see the pattern then keep your head in the sand. Your comments to paying fans for over 20 years fall directly in line with the IDIOT that owns this team. Patronizing and insulting. Thats why there is 11000 fans at the game the fact that you cant see it just shows how ignorant you are.

Chara and EK got fair offers and chose to leave, Havlat was the cap not being cheap. Hossa was about going less Euro for the playoffs. the guy he was traded for kicked ass and got paid. The Alf was old they should pay him forever? Didnt Methot go expansion style?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad