Matt Duchene - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
1st bold: So, you don't have one?

2. First of all, yikes. Johansen>Dubois (currently) Duchene >> Jenner, Wennberg>Dubinsky

Second of all. Why does Wennberg get lumped into the "former CBJ" group when he's still here? Your groups make no sense.

1. As pointed out below, leaguewide its A LOT of guys. Vast majority of guys, you will just say cant be acquired or are worse than Duchene, which will go along with your "no hope for CBJ" narrative, even if your only top 3-5 on that list now don't act like your "negativity ranking" has dropped like Puljujarvi's "value".

2. Yeah, yikes, all right. All I will say is that I trust my hockey/CBJ opinions over yours, because of countless amounts of opinions expressed and interactions with you around here.

I'll
put it like this (currently), Dubois > Duchene = Johansen > Jenner > Dubinsky > Wennberg

Only thing people have to hold against Dubois is that he played with Panarin. Says A LOT right there, imo. Carry over from draft day and the scouting reports, also IMO.

Maybe this is a little unintended/ironic foreshadowing from you, but with my groups I am literally looking at it as my 1-2-3C group in MEANINGFUL NHL hockey's games NOT points only fantasy hockey. It has nothing to do with when they played with the CBJ, but with how they play they game. Its clear as day that the groups play significantly different "games" and/or have much different levels of intensity (and REAL defense imo) available while my group also brings something extra to the teams they are apart of. My groups make plenty of sense.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
1st bold: So, you don't have one?

2. First of all, yikes. Johansen>Dubois (currently) Duchene >> Jenner, Wennberg>Dubinsky

Second of all. Why does Wennberg get lumped into the "former CBJ" group when he's still here? Your groups make no sense.
lol what?!?! Haha Johansen played good after the trade until injury then got paid and did what a paid johanson does best. Became lazy is as lazy does. PLD>any name on that list...

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Dubois last year (his 2nd in the league) - 27 goals and 61 points plus 5 points in the playoffs

Johansen last year (his 8th year in the league) - 14 goals and 64 points plus 2 points in the playoffs

Would anyone really take Johansen over Dubois, especially going forward? Johansen’s two best years were 13-14 (33 goals) and 14-15 (71 points) with the CBJ and I remember him as a talented but very frustrating player who could make beautiful plays that looked effortless one second and then give absolutely no effort the next. In his 3 full seasons with the Preds he has scored 14, 15, and 14 goals. I could just imagine the “$8 million for 14 goals?” posts if he were still here.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Even though this is a do we resign Duchene thread, I just had to look it up — Seth Jones has scored 12, 16, and 9 goals in his 3 full seasons since the trade. Boy did we win that trade. Johansen scored only 6 more goals over 3 years than Jones and Jones makes $2 million/year less plus is an amazing right D?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
1. As pointed out below, leaguewide its A LOT of guys. Vast majority of guys, you will just say cant be acquired or are worse than Duchene, which will go along with your "no hope for CBJ" narrative, even if your only top 3-5 on that list now don't act like your "negativity ranking" has dropped like Puljujarvi's "value".

2. Yeah, yikes, all right. All I will say is that I trust my hockey/CBJ opinions over yours, because of countless amounts of opinions expressed and interactions with you around here.

I'll
put it like this (currently), Dubois > Duchene = Johansen > Jenner > Dubinsky > Wennberg

Only thing people have to hold against Dubois is that he played with Panarin. Says A LOT right there, imo. Carry over from draft day and the scouting reports, also IMO.

Maybe this is a little unintended/ironic foreshadowing from you, but with my groups I am literally looking at it as my 1-2-3C group in MEANINGFUL NHL hockey's games NOT points only fantasy hockey. It has nothing to do with when they played with the CBJ, but with how they play they game. Its clear as day that the groups play significantly different "games" and/or have much different levels of intensity (and REAL defense imo) available while my group also brings something extra to the teams they are apart of. My groups make plenty of sense.

So defensive all the time. My original post was curious on the list of players you thought we could acquire to replace Duchene's production. Now I get a short story on how my opinions are always wrong (which isn't correct) and your opinion is held higher by yourself (shocking, guess what, everyone holds their own opinion higher than other peoples on the internet). All I wanted was a list, which you said existed, and to see if I agreed, but apparently that list doesn't exist.

Not sure where you think this "no hope for the CBJ" thing is coming from. If anything, I've been in the middle of the pack around here and am one of the few who haven't jumped ship at the lack of moves so far. Am I less optimistic than you for next season? Of course. But I always have said we will have to see what happens. You'll think positively regardless of how the roster looks next year, which is fine, but I prefer to actually see who's going to be out there.

I actually agree on your list for the most part. Slight tweaking, but for the most part. (FWIW, mine is Duchene > Johansen > Dubois >> Jenner >> Wennberg > Dubinsky)

lol what?!?! Haha Johansen played good after the trade until injury then got paid and did what a paid johanson does best. Became lazy is as lazy does. PLD>any name on that list...

It wouldn't matter what his statline said with you as you hate Johansen and can't put that aside to make a rational judgement. Ignoring age and contract, as of today I would take Johansen over PLD, but its razor thin. Will this change? Hopefully.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My original post was curious on the list of players you thought we could acquire to replace Duchene's production.

I don't know why you're asking bus, not your typical source for concrete info. I'm sure you read Dom's article though, right? He lists Zuccarello and Pavelski as free agents with similar or better value. Listing trade targets is tricky because we don't really know who is genuinely available, but suffice it to say if a guy is ranked as low as Duchene (per Dom) there are going to be more than a few better players out there. I don't know if they're available now now now but it's obviously a better course of action to look elsewhere than commit $80m or even $65m to someone who'll provide second line value.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It amazes me the same people who love to talk about how development isn't linear are the same ones who talk in absolutes.

Reactions: Viqsi

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

What a load of crap. Duchene's said multiple times his "love" for country music isn't going to guide his decision (which is an absurd notion in itself). And the home he owns is an AirBnB rental property. He and his buddy bought two properties next to each other to rent out and make passive income off of.

https://www.bardown.com/the-reason-...l-cool-the-excitement-of-preds-fans-1.1259651

If he's serious in saying that he wants to win, why go to Nashville? That team is on a downwards trend. IMO they've been the most overrated franchise in the league the past two years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What a load of crap. Duchene's said multiple times his "love" for country music isn't going to guide his decision (which is an absurd notion in itself). And the home he owns is an AirBnB rental property. He and his buddy bought two properties next to each other to rent out and make passive income off of.

https://www.bardown.com/the-reason-...l-cool-the-excitement-of-preds-fans-1.1259651

If he's serious in saying that he wants to win, why go to Nashville? That team is on a downwards trend. IMO they've been the most overrated franchise in the league the past two years.

Good post, as an outsider I dont see a better fit than Columbus. Agreed on Nashville, from his perspective he gets the extra year on and up and coming team with a great talent group that is young and still up and coming. Would you realky want a player that based his choice on country music anyway?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Bit of a stretch to say Nashville is in decline IMO.
Also Nashville has better weather, same quality of schools, better airport, much better night life and entertainment. You can find numerous articles when Kirk Herbstreit left Cbus to go to Nashville but the airport was a big factor (and in his case getting away from some of the Buckeye crazies).
Nashville and Austin are 2 of the places when you ask younger folks where they would like to live - that they rank pretty highly.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Also Nashville has better weather, same quality of schools, better airport, much better night life and entertainment. You can find numerous articles when Kirk Herbstreit left Cbus to go to Nashville but the airport was a big factor (and in his case getting away from some of the Buckeye crazies).
Nashville and Austin are 2 of the places when you ask younger folks where they would like to live - that they rank pretty highly.

State tax rates also matter. Tennesse with none, Ohio about 5%. Earning $9 million a year that makes a difference of about $450,000 per year. So a 7 year contract in Nashville gets him $3 million more than the same deal in Columbus. Add in that both are good places to raise a young family, Nashville is certainly appealing.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
State tax rates also matter. Tennesse with none, Ohio about 5%. Earning $9 million a year that makes a difference of about $450,000 per year. So a 7 year contract in Nashville gets him $3 million more than the same deal in Columbus. Add in that both are good places to raise a young family, Nashville is certainly appealing.
The state tax applies specifically to where you play every game so the 5% difference would be based on 41 games not 82 so you can cut that in half.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The state tax applies specifically to where you play every game so the 5% difference would be based on 41 games not 82 so you can cut that in half.

Do you know if that has been taken into account in the NHL tax calculators that are out there? Capfriendly has one. So does this consulting firm. It looks like they are applying the rate over the full 82.

Also, Columbus has an additional 2.5% city tax rate on top of the 5%.

Interestingly, even with that Columbus still has a bigger tax advantage over Toronto (9 percentage points) than Nashville has over Columbus.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

These three items should never be linked together(I know you didn't). Unless it has changed drastically in the past 3 years, it is unequivocally the worst I have been to. Only bright spot is it has lots of Southwest flights.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
These three items should never be linked together(I know you didn't). Unless it has changed drastically in the past 3 years, it is unequivocally the worst I have been to. Only bright spot is it has lots of Southwest flights.
Not quite sure what you're saying - Nashville airport serves twice as many cities and has 3x the airlines (CMH serves 34 cities daily and 7 airlines; Nashville is 72 cities and 20 airlines).
Maybe I'm missing your point.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Not quite sure what you're saying - Nashville airport serves twice as many cities and has 3x the airlines (CMH serves 34 cities daily and 7 airlines; Nashville is 72 cities and 20 airlines).

Austin's airport

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Yep, you missed it. The 3 things are the bolded. I was just trying to say Austin's airport sucks. Which has nothing to do with a hockey player's decision. Unless he was considering Dallas & got sent down to the Texas Stars. :laugh:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Yep, you missed it. The 3 things are the bolded. I was just trying to say Austin's airport sucks. Which has nothing to do with a hockey player's decision. Unless he was considering Dallas & got sent down to the Texas Stars. :laugh:
got it sorry!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Nash said he hasn’t even tried to persuade Bobrovsky, Duchene or Panarin to stay in Columbus.

“I feel like their minds are already made up,” Nash said. “I haven’t had much to do with the players we have here already.”

But if a new player pulls the Blue Jackets sweater over his head next week — free agency opens Monday — Nash will likely have played a role in that player’s decision.

“It’s a huge time right now for us to try to get guys here,” Nash said. “Not just because of money, but because they want to be here and they enjoy the city.”

Blue Jackets great Rick Nash now charged with helping sway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad