Matt Duchene - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If Jarmo made any of the moves u have suggested, it could at least give us a solid, though not spectacular roster for next year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If the rumors about him signing in Nashville for $8m AAV are true , I don’t see why we can’t match

Nashville is his preferred destination. Supposedly the Jackets more than matched. He is giving up better offers elsewhere to play in Nashville.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Have you ever been around someone who maybe gave you too many compliments and wondered if they were being sincere? That's the way I felt about Duchene. I just felt he "loved Columbus" a little too much in all of his interviews and I somehow didn't feel like he was being completely genuine.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Have you ever been around someone who maybe gave you too many compliments and wondered if they were being sincere? That's the way I felt about Duchene. I just felt he "loved Columbus" a little too much in all of his interviews and I somehow didn't feel like he was being completely genuine.

I think there was a small part of him that was truly surprised how much he enjoyed his time here, but I don’t think for a single second he gave serious thought to actually re-signing here. The compliments were obviously due to our insecure media who shoved a mic in his face every two seconds asking him how he likes Columbus

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think there was a small part of him that was truly surprised how much he enjoyed his time here, but I don’t think for a single second he gave serious thought to actually re-signing here. The compliments were obviously due to our insecure media who shoved a mic in his face every two seconds asking him how he likes Columbus
I thought about the media's role after I posted my comment and was going to edit to include that thought. By the way, there's a new series of videos with Jody skating with the top prospects called "One Lap." If you're wondering if Jody asked some them "if they liked Columbusohio," you'd be right.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
What if his "investment property" was his new house ALL ALONG! MUWWWAHAHAAHAHAH!!

Not surprised that he isn't staying, but a little bummed that the CBJ allegedly were offering more. His right, his decision, but it just feels better when the issue is a simple one of being outbid.

OR, maybe the CBJ weren't actually outbid, but are saying they were as a face saving move ... as in, "Hey, what do you want from us, we offered the most money??"

Doesn't really matter either way. Just spitballing.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Not since Dany Heatley has any Senators player left a bad taste in my mouth like Matt Duchene did. He goes two steps further than necessary in interviews with how much he loves it in Ottawa, loves the team, loves the locker room, and it all leaves your head believing you’ve got a real chance. But your gut is saying that something is wrong here, so it’s this state of rolling dread and anxiety because it’s a situation where you’re poised to lose so much talent that him staying would mean so much.

To watch him come and do almost the exact song and dance in Columbus in circumstances that were emotionally comparable because of Bread and Bob really pissed me off for your city. He’s obviously great on the ice and far from the worst character guy in the NHL, but he has a special brand of self interest that is a loss to exactly no one. I wish him luck in Nashville and couldn’t be happier that he’s in the west.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have to say I despise Duchene for his hypocrisy. His signing in Nashville after how much he "loves" it in columbus assures Nashville of the number One spot on my hate list. It has already been Number 1 because of my distaste for RyJO. But adding Duchene there locks Nashville into the top spot on my negative list for at least the next 8 years.

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
I watched Duchene very closely in the playoffs. While he is a superior offensive talent, he was out worked on the ice every shift when it came to battles. I did not like his game at all...other than the scoring. Maybe Torts would have made him a better all around player. It sucks we gave up so much for a short term rental. Hopefully it doesn't set us back for a long time.

Reactions: majormajor

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I have to say I despise Duchene for his hypocrisy. His signing in Nashville after how much he "loves" it in columbus assures Nashville of the number One spot on my hate list. It has already been Number 1 because of my distaste for RyJO. But adding Duchene there locks Nashville into the top spot on my negative list for at least the next 8 years.
Quite a few CBJ folks on Twitter expressing those same thoughts..

I myself am more irritated that $94-100M was not enough to convince Panarin to spend a little bit of time in Columbus the next 8 years..

Reactions: DJAnimosity

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched Duchene very closely in the playoffs. While he is a superior offensive talent, he was out worked on the ice every shift when it came to battles. I did not like his game at all...other than the scoring. Maybe Torts would have made him a better all around player. It sucks we gave up so much for a short term rental. Hopefully it doesn't set us back for a long time.

If it makes you feel better we didn't give up that much for him. Basically just a 1st rounder. The two prospects were far down our list. I agree that Duchene is frustrating to watch. I didn't think he was worth the money so I'm happy to see him move on. Perhaps that's why today feels okay to me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
People can hate him all they want, but we were warned of this probability prior to even trading him. Yeah, he had some nice and cushy words to describe the city, team, and organization, but that was just him being thankful to get out of the Ottawa mess and into a deep playoff run. His first choice all along, even acknowledged by Jarmo (remember the quote? "We may not be your first choice, but we want you to consider us" or something like that" was Nashville. Hate him for it or not, it was out there.

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
People can hate him all they want, but we were warned of this probability prior to even trading him. Yeah, he had some nice and cushy words to describe the city, team, and organization, but that was just him being thankful to get out of the Ottawa mess and into a deep playoff run. His first choice all along, even acknowledged by Jarmo (remember the quote? "We may not be your first choice, but we want you to consider us" or something like that" was Nashville. Hate him for it or not, it was out there.
It is strange that some can't seem to grasp the above which you so nicely laid out. It is not mutually exclusive that Duchene could have sincerely enjoyed his time in Columbus (including the team, fans, city, etc.), but still decided that there was another destination (in this case, Nashville) that was better for him long-term. The binary, black/white nature of some on this board is annoying.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
It is strange that some can't seem to grasp the above which you so nicely laid out. It is not mutually exclusive that Duchene could have sincerely enjoyed his time in Columbus (including the team, fans, city, etc.), but still decided that there was another destination (in this case, Nashville) that was better for him long-term. The binary, black/white nature of some on this board is annoying.
Its the "but we had 1 date, what do you mean you dont want to love me?" jilted lover syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad