Matt Duchene - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
A guy doesn't want to sign/resign here and he gets villafied.

It should be very obvious after all these years that this (Columbus) is not a marquee spot to sign. That doesn't mean it's not a nice city or good team, just most guys if they have 30+ choices on where to play the CBJ isn't likely on the top of the list. Columbus probably isn't the bottom of many lists, but more often that not it's somewhere in the upper middle.

What do you want the guy to say? Like Panarin he got traded here and he played well. He did his job. He just will likely go elsewhere.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not going to villify the guys personality or character. I'll just villify him for not re-signing with the Jackets. Same as Bob & Bread. 3 guys who could have made the Jackets real contenders. Eff all three of them.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
We are supposed to be happy these guys are going to other teams? Yeah, it's their right under the CBA, but I don't have to say nice things about them on their way out, if they are choosing to leave the team I root for and help other teams (possible division rivals).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
We are supposed to be happy these guys are going to other teams? Yeah, it's their right under the CBA, but I don't have to say nice things about them on their way out, if they are choosing to leave the team I root for and help other teams (possible division rivals).

Of course not, and yeah say what you like, I guess. It just struck me as funny someone comes in and is all like "guy's a jerk" and all of a sudden (a couple) people in here are like "yeah, you're right, that guy is a jerk."

Last edited:

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Cities I think Columbus is a more desirable or at least equal place to live from the standpoint of a player with no connection to us:

Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Minnesota, Raleigh, St. Louis, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and Buffalo. In addition, I've never understood the allure for Washington or Dallas either.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Cities I think Columbus is a more desirable or at least equal place to live from the standpoint of a player with no connection to us:

Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Minnesota, Raleigh, St. Louis, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and Buffalo. In addition, I've never understood the allure for Washington or Dallas either.

Good list, although I do understand why someone would want to live in Washington/Northern VA - I'd also throw NJ and Philly on your list.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If I see one more line up with Jenner or Wennberg posted with them slotted as out 2c I’ll puke.

And I love PLD- but man we don’t know what he is going to do without Bread.

How bout we don't act as if Wennberg and Jenner are equal or even really similar in any way.

Also, I know you "love PLD", but Panarin doesn't actually change what Dubois is as a player.

When you say, "don't know what he is going to do without Bread", sure, he probably wont have TWO "all star" wingers as good as Atkinson/Panarin and therefore might not put up the same amount of points, BUT PANARIN DOES NOT AFFECT HOW GREAT OF A PLAYER DUBOIS IS, at 20.

Also, I know some think the team will somehow score 50+ or something less goals without Panarin, but that's not really how things work. The team/certain players will still score goals and put up points. Losing Panarin (with ZERO "replacement") could drastically hurt the teams effectiveness and add to loses, but a few guys would (in your mind) "do good" by putting up the extra points (in losing efforts) being put in situations and given the ice time Panarin was getting.

Reactions: Cowumbus

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

What makes you think Columbus is more desirable to hockey players than the "City Of Hockey"...??

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I've heard of "HockeyTown" which is Detroit. I don't think I've heard of "City of Hockey"

:whatever:

I think (hope?) he meant state of hockey, which is Minnesota. But who knows.

:dainty:

:teach:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, for how extremely SKILLED Duchene IS, there were plenty of times and GAMES where I was not a fan of his overall drive on the ice.

Call it inconsistency if you want, but (like with "many" other players) there's a clear "switch" with Duchene that can be turned on or off during certain stretches of time, and quite frankly I wasn't very impressed with how much he was "turned on" in his total playing time with Columbus.

I don't think Duchene as a loss, even as a center, is anywhere nearly as big of a loss as a "committed/invested" Panarin. And quite frankly, besides being against a BIG (8+) cap hit for him, I think there's plenty of guys "available" in both trades and the FA market that wouldn't have much smaller (if at all) of a positive impact on the CBJ.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

There is no point in me naming a list, as you and others will FOCUS on the semantics of the word "available" (was Panarin seen as available to YOU when acquired/where does the impact Jones has made fit in here) along with continuing to spout out the FALSE narrative that the team "couldn't survive" with the same group of centers, but most importantly an IMPOROVED JENNER, that we've had the last 3+ playoff years, as the teams "2C".

Give me Dubois-Jenner-Dubinsky as my centers over Johansen-Duchene-Wennberg

1 group might be better on NHL 17, but the other is much better ON THE ICE past Sept-Oct.

Reactions: mikeyp24

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There is no point in me naming a list, as you and others will FOCUS on the semantics of the word "available" (was Panarin seen as available to YOU when acquired/where does the impact Jones has made fit in here) along with continuing to spout out the FALSE narrative that the team "couldn't survive" with the same group of centers, but most importantly an IMPOROVED JENNER, that we've had the last 3+ playoff years, as the teams "2C".

Give me Dubois-Jenner-Dubinsky as my centers over Johansen-Duchene-Wennberg

1 group might be better on NHL 17, but the other is much better ON THE ICE past Sept-Oct.

1st bold: So, you don't have one?

2. First of all, yikes. Johansen>Dubois (currently) Duchene >> Jenner, Wennberg>Dubinsky

Second of all. Why does Wennberg get lumped into the "former CBJ" group when he's still here? Your groups make no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad