Matt Duchene - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So they havent even met with Duchene? That seems absurd to me.

Oh they met with him plenty. There's just not much point in giving him the "let me tell you about Columbus" spiel from Nash. He knows.

At this point the only new information the Blue Jackets can give to Duchene is a better offer, and I hope they don't do that.

Reactions: Jackets16

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh they met with him plenty. There's just not much point in giving him the "let me tell you about Columbus" spiel from Nash. He knows.

At this point the only new information the Blue Jackets can give to Duchene is a better offer, and I hope they don't do that.

Do you know what the initial offer was?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am sure you are as thats not realistic at all given this market i would hope they atleast got to 9 million per. I think he gets 10 on the open market.

Yes that's the market, but I wouldn't assume Jarmo is leading the market on this one. I'll feel like the Jackets have dodged a bullet if he gets a huge deal somewhere else. Even 8 x 8 is a lot for a guy that will provide second line production for most of his deal. When the core of this team is ready to contend they're not going to want that deal on the books.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It is very unfortunate that the "core" of this team is not "ready to contend". And I have serious doubts about when that magic moment will arrive, if ever. I would think the time is now after they finally won a round last year. But alas, that, I guess is not the case.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It is very unfortunate that the "core" of this team is not "ready to contend". And I have serious doubts about when that magic moment will arrive, if ever. I would think the time is now after they finally won a round last year. But alas, that, I guess is not the case.

The roster we had last year after the TDD was stacked. Arguably 2nd best in the league behind Tampa. They just drug their feet after the turn of the calendar and a few weeks after the TDD. I’m glad we won a series, but if we got a metro seed we maybe could have won the thing. It’s unfortunate, because if we brought back the UFA’s (or at least Duchene and panarin) we’d be ready to go and contend again. But alas.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The roster we had last year after the TDD was stacked. Arguably 2nd best in the league behind Tampa. They just drug their feet after the turn of the calendar and a few weeks after the TDD. I’m glad we won a series, but if we got a metro seed we maybe could have won the thing. It’s unfortunate, because if we brought back the UFA’s (or at least Duchene and panarin) we’d be ready to go and contend again. But alas.
We still would have had to beat Boston. This year wasn't in the cards for us, but I'm glad Jarmo decided to go for it.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I think that if the UFA's all re-signed the moment would have arrived. But they all are gone imo and now we wait for the moment to reappear. I know you are impatient as a 1st season ticket holder but I don't see it happening until:
A #1 goalie is firmly established;right now all that exists are 4 guys who might become that
A 2nd top 6 C is added
2 Top 6 LW's are added or in the case of Tex and Bemstrom develop or miracles of miracle Torts & Co. finally figure out how to move OB or Andy to that side.

Could Jarmo still rescue the up coming season? Maybe, but if lack of rumors are any indication it ain't happening (cue what about the Saad for Panarin deal? comments). What could he somewhat realistically do?

Sign Lehner if in fact the Isles are moving away from him as Spin indicated (link?)
Trade a D for a solid top 6 LW. Ehlers? Kreider? Huberdau? I prefer getting a cost controlled guy so Kreider who is a UFA next year is probably out.
Sign Nyqvist as a UFA

These 3 moves would solve or at least improve 2 of the glaring weaknesses and would not a have a particularly negative impact on the ca either now or down the road.

What pie in the sky moves could he pull off?

Offer sheet Marner - I think this is the ultimate it ain't gonna happen pipe dream
Up his offer to Duchene and Panarin to basically max out his cap space - but that would make it impossible to re-sign Zach & Murray as well as impede next year deals for Andy & PLD. Short of buying them this ain't happening (and would be a very stupid thing to do).

As I pointed out in the Salary Cap thread I think the wisest thing he could do is to lock up Zach & Murray now and do the same for PLD & Andy right after July 1. Then if deals can be made to fit within the cap, both now and in the future, go for it.

And as final thing I think he should do is buyout Dubi now to to be able to sign a guy like Nyqvist,(cue oh but we don't do buyouts/we already have 2 buyouts on the books comments)

Oh, and a final final crazy thought sign Vanek for a year and hope his magic with Wennberg still exists. I wanted to sign him last and most here thought he was to old, slow, etc and all he did was put up .56 ppg for a crappy Red Wings team. :dunno:

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Offer sheet Marner - I think this is the ultimate it ain't gonna happen pipe dream
Up his offer to Duchene and Panarin to basically max out his cap space - but that would make it impossible to re-sign Zach & Murray as well as impede next year deals for Andy & PLD. Short of buying them this ain't happening (and would be a very stupid thing to do).

Issue is Jarmo is saying he thinks a top 6 C (granted 5 years older) isn't worth 8*9M and a first round pick. Do you really think he would go 6*11M and 4 first round picks. No way.
To give up 4 firsts means we think we have a window now to win. Unless we sign a goalie we don't know what we have this season even if we keep Duchene/Marner.
Literally if our goalies struggle we could be giving up a couple top 10 picks next couple of seasons.

Now I see the strategy - if nothing else putting Toronto in a bad position salary cap wise. But we are going to have a few of those players coming up in next few years. if we do that, rest assured the rest of the league won't hesitate to pay us back.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Issue is Jarmo is saying he thinks a top 6 C (granted 5 years older) isn't worth 8*9M and a first round pick. Do you really think he would go 6*11M and 4 first round picks. No way.
To give up 4 firsts means we think we have a window now to win. Unless we sign a goalie we don't know what we have this season even if we keep Duchene/Marner.
Literally if our goalies struggle we could be giving up a couple top 10 picks next couple of seasons.

Now I see the strategy - if nothing else putting Toronto in a bad position salary cap wise. But we are going to have a few of those players coming up in next few years. if we do that, rest assured the rest of the league won't hesitate to pay us back.

Did you not read the pie in the sky part? or the disclaimer that neither are going to happen and/or should not?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I’ve been fine with Duchene walking since watching his performance down the stretch after the TDL. Yeah he got points in the POs but the regular season he looked like a slightly more skilled version of Todd Marchant. I’ve been consistent in saying he’s not worth $10 mil plus a first round pick. More power to him with his music career and bumming around the honky tonks on off days.

Reactions: Toe Pick

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The contract I'd be willing to offer Duchene? $10 million for 4 years. More money, less term. (Cue: he'd never go for that! Nor should he when some team is going to offer him $8-9 million for 7 years).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yes that's the market, but I wouldn't assume Jarmo is leading the market on this one. I'll feel like the Jackets have dodged a bullet if he gets a huge deal somewhere else. Even 8 x 8 is a lot for a guy that will provide second line production for most of his deal. When the core of this team is ready to contend they're not going to want that deal on the books.

Sometimes the best thing to do is not sign someone.

Duchene has hit the 70 mark twice (exactly 70 in each instance) in his 10 years in the NHL and once had 67 points. Very good upside. But the stat that stands out to me is 10 years.

How many players haven't had their career years by the time they've played 10 years? Don't know for certain, but most players have their most productive years behind him by then.

A $9.5 million per year for a Duchene who produces in the 40-49 points range would be an albatross of a contract. I'd think that by year 4 or 5 of the deal, this type of productivity stands to be a 50% possibility. To those who say "buy him out the last 2 years", keep in mind that his contract is going to be heavily bonus laden. If he doesn't have 2/3rds of his compensation in bonus in the last few seasons of an 8 year deal, then color me surprised. His contract will be "buyout proof."

Matt Duchene is not the guy you want to build your offense around for 8 years. He's going to be the beneficiary of an insane market and there's no reason for the CBJ to be the one that takes the plunge with him.

This season is shaping up to be a "let it ride" with the current group season. For better or worse.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Since this thread only has about 24-48 hours left of being open, and nobody has posted this (to what I can see anyway), and in tribute of Stranger Things season 3 being released in a few days.

Anyway, Matt Duchene is going. It was a fun run, and I think he enjoyed his time here. I love the player, but we need that pick to re-stock the top end of our prospect pool, and given our potential finish next year it could be pretty high. Duchene should go.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I enjoyed his interviews and the way he seemed to embrace/get excited about Columbus.

Really thought that would go a long way for us, but the market kinda screwed the Jackets here in terms of his asking price continuing to go up based on other contracts handed out.

For me, Duchene's departure is easier for me to accept just based on the fact I've had so much more emotion invested in the Bob/Bread dilemmas for the past 12 damn months.

Regardless of what happens, there will be a small part of me that is simply content that the dilemma with each of them is finally done.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Expensive, that was a good thoughtful post about our options. Well balanced analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad