Matt Duchene - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It’s the whole “wants to play for a Cup contender” thing that has me baffled

The truth is that many different people, fans and players actually in the league, probably have many different ideas on who is a "Cup contender" or not, and what impact a single player aka they could have on those chances. Maybe he's got some good buddies in Arizona.

The things is, NOBODY actually knows other than the guys themselves and those VERY CLOSE to them what they are REALLY thinking.

Not really coming at you, just general comments for errybody.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I mentioned in the Off Season thread that while listening to NHL Network on XM a guy out of Montreal (don't recall his name but supposedly well connected) indicated that Duchene's preference was to go back to Ottawa. That he and his wife loved it there and he wanted to be a leader and liked his place on the team. I'm we'll hear all kinds of things but until he says NO to Columbus I'm going to hold out hope. I think Ottawa is a very long way from winning. I also think the 8th year would be something appealing to play in a place you can win now and in the future.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
As for Duchene and Ottawa - some folks just want to stay at home. It's his choice, but it would surprise me a little, but would not be shocking.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I mentioned in the Off Season thread that while listening to NHL Network on XM a guy out of Montreal (don't recall his name but supposedly well connected) indicated that Duchene's preference was to go back to Ottawa. That he and his wife loved it there and he wanted to be a leader and liked his place on the team. I'm we'll hear all kinds of things but until he says NO to Columbus I'm going to hold out hope. I think Ottawa is a very long way from winning. I also think the 8th year would be something appealing to play in a place you can win now and in the future.

Wonder if we could trade his rights back to Ottawa for a 5th/6th round pick, so that way they can sign him to the 8th year!

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Not gonna say it’s impossible but:

1) That would seem to fly in the face of every indication that “winning” is of primary importance to him.

2) Maybe he really just was dying for a taste of the playoffs (and if so, then it would seem winning IS that important to him, which flies in the face of #1), but uprooting your wife/newborn and giving up the guaranteed 8th year for just one potential (at that time, it was only potential) playoff run?

It’d weirdly give me a bit of comfort though, compared to if he went to Nashville or something. Going to Nashville I think would be pretty indicting on Cbus/CBJ’s perception around the league as a city/organization. Going back to Ottawa just means he wants to go back home.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Doesn't work that way. The 8th year is only an option if he was on one's roster at the deadline.

Ok. Just I've heard other folks (National writers) speculating that the CBJ should trade Panarin to Florida for a low round pick. Would give Florida exclusive rights for few weeks and I assumed (could be incorrectly) that before 7/1 they could also offer him the 8th year.
I guess in that case (even if couldn't do 8th year) that exclusive rights for few weeks could be worth a 6/7th round pick.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ok. Just I've heard other folks (National writers) speculating that the CBJ should trade Panarin to Florida for a low round pick. Would give Florida exclusive rights for few weeks and I assumed (could be incorrectly) that before 7/1 they could also offer him the 8th year.
I guess in that case (even if couldn't do 8th year) that exclusive rights for few weeks could be worth a 6/7th round pick.

If I'm the CBJ brass, I string Panarin and Florida along about the sign and trade and then back out of it-unless something of value is coming back from Florida in the same or a related trade.

Screw him and some 6th round pick.

Reactions: thebus88

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Except once the free agency period starts 8 years is off the table. That was the case in the scenario with Tavares.

Free agency starts on June 23rd. Players are allowed to meet with teams without it being tampering

Contracts cannot be signed until July 1st with other teams.

So a player can meet with teams in June, take offers, and know by June 30th whether they will sign 8 years with their original team before July 1st.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Wonder if we could trade his rights back to Ottawa for a 5th/6th round pick, so that way they can sign him to the 8th year!

Rights won't get the 8th year. It would have to be a sign and trade (CBJ signs him, flips him to OTT).

People like Lebrun have speculated about sign and trades, but we've yet to see one.

I don't know what to think about Duchene coming back to Ottawa. He supposedly wants to win and the Sens lineup is not even close to being there. It has also been 5 years since the Senators have signed any player to a long term contract. The last one was Ryan.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Free agency starts on June 23rd. Players are allowed to meet with teams without it being tampering

Contracts cannot be signed until July 1st with other teams.

So a player can meet with teams in June, take offers, and know by June 30th whether they will sign 8 years with their original team before July 1st.

I think technically a player can’t take offers from/negotiate with another team until July 1. He can visit/meet/interview with teams in the days before that but I don’t think contract terms can be discussed.

Of course, that’s the “technical” rule...

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think technically a player can’t take offers from/negotiate with another team until July 1. He can visit/meet/interview with teams in the days before that but I don’t think contract terms can be discussed.

Of course, that’s the “technical” rule...

“Clubs are permitted to discuss their potential interest in, as well as the general parameters of, a potential future contractual relationship with another Club’s pending RFA or UFA during the applicable ‘interview periods,’ but Clubs may not enter into any agreements, or make any binding offers, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, express or implied, oral or written, concerning the terms of a potential SPC with another Club’s pending RFA or UFA.”

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that teams can basically spell out what kind of commitment they'd be willing to make they just can't offer an actual commitment or negotiate.

How NHL 'interview period' improves free agency - Sportsnet.ca

I could be wrong, but it seems very apparent that in most cases, there is usually an understanding about what is out there prior to July 1st. I don't think it's a case where Duchene will have to go to July 1st before he knows what's available to him. So I don't think it's a scenario where if he extends with CBJ June 30th to get the 8th year, he'd be doing it without knowing what realm the best 7 year offers would be.

There's also just common sense. If CBJ offers him a buyout proof 8 year 9.5M deal, there's a reasonably high chance a 7 year deal with the same cash won't be out there just based on comparable contracts.

Reactions: thebus88

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Sens fan here, who watched and cheered for every Columbus game in the playoffs. Loved watching the post-game after game four against Tampa, all the emotion in the room. Oddly, I think I became even more of a Duchene fan than I ever was when he was in Ottawa.

Really hoping he signs in Columbus, both for the sake of the Blue Jackets, and for Ottawa to get another first round pick.

Curious how you guys are feeling about the lack of picks in the next couple drafts though. Is the general feeling, you've got a contending team right now, bluechip prospects in Foudy, Texier, Bemstrom, Tarasov, so you can afford a couple quiet drafts?

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

Duchene is not going back to Ottawa, and any illusions to the contrary likely stem from his own excessive tendency to yammer on glowingly about whatever place he happens to be standing in at any given moment, talking about how great it could be if it “works out”. Gag. Neither he nor his agent will hesitate to waste your time, and your head and heart space, stringing you along. He’ll sign somewhere, and until he does, don’t waste a hot second trying to figure out his intentions from his meaningless words. Those words dribble out into the world to serve Matt Duchene.

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
Duchene is not going back to Ottawa, and any illusions to the contrary likely stem from his own excessive tendency to yammer on glowingly about whatever place he happens to be standing in at any given moment, talking about how great it could be if it “works out”. Gag. Neither he nor his agent will hesitate to waste your time, and your head and heart space, stringing you along. He’ll sign somewhere, and until he does, don’t waste a hot second trying to figure out his intentions from his meaningless words. Those words dribble out into the world to serve Matt Duchene.

He does love to just let BS flow out doesn’t he. I want to sign him pretty bad- but honestly- maybe it’s a blessing in disguise if he doesn’t. But where the hell are we going to get another top 6 center? If I see one more line up with Jenner or Wennberg posted with them slotted as out 2c I’ll puke.

And I love PLD- but man we don’t know what he is going to do without Bread.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I'd be curious to know how teammates have taken (or not taken) to him. He sends off a more refined PK Subban "me me me" vibe. I could be wrong, but that's what I see.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I thought I was alone thinking he is as fake as they come. Ian Cole sounded more genuine about re-signing here and yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad