TSN: Matt Duchene is the Coyotes primary focus

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
According to him on Spittin Chicklets, winning is #1 so unless he sees Arizona being better than other options I doubt he lands there.
His comment immediately after saying we wanted to pick a winner is that it's tough to pick a winner because nowadays everything changes in the span of two years and he's looking for a 7-8 year deal. Which is correct.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That would be a good pick up for them. I think it will be between them, Columbus, and maybe Montreal.

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
The coyotes should absolutely sign Duchene it's about time they became relevant, let's be honest here. With him theyre fighting for the division. That alone is enough reason.

Kessel doesn't do that or have people forgotten Toronto. Duchenne helped Columbus and would do the same in Arizona

But if Arizona fans prefer to remain lost in the wilderness.....

Last edited:

HockeyHead21

Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
This would suck as an Avs fan. They already have to play ROR and then would have to see Duchene for 5 or 6 years on top of that.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I agree that Arizona seems like an extreme long shot destination. There are a handful of teams just starting rebuilds that won’t have interest (LA and Anaheim as examples) and contenders already maxed on cap that won’t have interest (TB and PIT as examples). Who might be left?

1. NJD? I think they could be?
2. NYR? They might decide it’s time to move the rebuild forward. Duchene might like the savior role and the bright lights. Why not?
3. BUF? Doesn’t feel right. A lot of cap tied up elsewhere.
4. VAN? Maybe.
5. FLA? Maybe.
6. ARI?
7. MTL? Yes!
8. DAL? Nah.
9. OTT? I’m not sure. Seems wrong.
10.NYI? It’d be my odds on favorite pick.
11. NSH? They say so, but I don’t see how.
12 CGY? Dark horse?
13. CAR? Dark horse?
14. CBJ? Yes!
15. WPG? Maybe if some huge moves get done.

So rank:
1. NJD
2. NYR
3. VAN
4. FLA
5. ARI
6. MTL
7. NYI
8. CGY
9. CAR
10.CBJ
11.WPG

I think Arizona has to be toward the bottom of the middle. It’s a long shot.

I believe there are 2 tiers of teams interested:

1st - CBJ, MTL & NSH
2nd - CAR, FL, NJD, NYI, NYR

No chance AZ unless they offer substantially more without a NMC so they can flip him shortly thereafter.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I can see Arizona being a front runner. If he likes Nashville Arizona offers a lot of similar outside the rink benefits and is a great place to live. He could stay at Doan's barn and live the life.

Judging from the Uber video he's a pretty good talent evaluator and can prob tell that Arizona is trending upwards with a lot of guys about to enter their prime. If they can convince him that ownership is stable and get Kessel to play with him it's a done deal

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
I believe there are 2 tiers of teams interested:

1st - CBJ, MTL & NSH
2nd - CAR, FL, NJD, NYI, NYR

No chance AZ unless they offer substantially more without a NMC so they can flip him shortly thereafter.
That's all the more reason to do whatever is necessary to sign him. Their Brand will never get better until they change the way they do business and how they are percieved.

Why invest in a team that is seen as second rate if you don't intend to change that perception?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
That's all the more reason to do whatever is necessary to sign him. Their Brand will never get better until they change the way they do business and how they are percieved.

Why invest in a team that is seen as second rate if you don't intend to change that perception?

Duchene should receive approx $9M - $10M per. AZ could offer even more, but would this make any fiscal sense? The team is a chronic loser financially and attendance, it’s unlikely unless they can get some type of partial NMC to trade him later.

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
Duchene should receive approx $9M - $10M per. AZ could offer even more, but would this make any fiscal sense? The team is a chronic loser financially and attendance, it’s unlikely unless they can get some type of partial NMC to trade him later.
have you ever heard the phrase you have to invest money to make money as an accountant with a 2nd degree in economics. It's exactly what they should do. otherwise their entire investment is at risk. Our entire economy depends on that

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
have you ever heard the phrase you have to invest money to make money as an accountant with a 2nd degree in economics. It's exactly what they should do. otherwise their entire investment is at risk. Our entire economy depends on that

You realize the proper analogy is a “going concern.” Don’t spend money on items you can’t afford to pay, as operations are in the business of making money. AZ survives from financial welfare from the NHL, State and City. Overspend and the lifeline is cutoff due to its financial mismanagement.

Here is a recent article about their financial state:

“The city borrowed about $180 million to build the arena in 2003 and spent another $45 million to try to keep the team in the arena after the owner filed for bankruptcy and new owners were sought. The city then paid the new ownership $15 million to manage the arena in the first few years. The city is still paying off the arena debt, at about $13 million a year, until 2033.

Phelps said Glendale would need to build a case that shows that, for every dollar the city invests in arena upgrades, there will be a payback.

The city pays AEG $5.6 million annually to manage the arena, which is offset by shared arena revenue.

The city is losing less from the deal in recent years. Its net loss was $4 million two years ago and $3.92 million last year.”

Duchene would be a nice add, but the unstable ownership, financial situation, poor attendance and perpetual rebuild its really unlikely he would want to finish his career with this team.

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
You realize the proper analogy is a “going concern.” Don’t spend money on items you can’t afford to pay, as operations are in the business of making money. AZ survives from financial welfare from the NHL, State and City. Overspend and the lifeline is cutoff due to its financial mismanagement.

Here is a recent article about their financial state:

“The city borrowed about $180 million to build the arena in 2003 and spent another $45 million to try to keep the team in the arena after the owner filed for bankruptcy and new owners were sought. The city then paid the new ownership $15 million to manage the arena in the first few years. The city is still paying off the arena debt, at about $13 million a year, until 2033.

Phelps said Glendale would need to build a case that shows that, for every dollar the city invests in arena upgrades, there will be a payback.

The city pays AEG $5.6 million annually to manage the arena, which is offset by shared arena revenue.

The city is losing less from the deal in recent years. Its net loss was $4 million two years ago and $3.92 million last year.”

Duchene would be a nice add, but the unstable ownership, financial situation, poor attendance and perpetual rebuild its really unlikely he would want to finish his career with this team.
the team is paying for mismanagement in prior years. Doing nothing is just more of the same. Unless they energize the fan base they are doomed anyway. what better way to encourage and energize the fan base than to make the playoffs and not just one year but for the long term

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Can you do a trade and sign? ARZ signs Duchene, lets say team B trades a 1st for Duchene minus 10% of the contract? Would AR do this?
Duchene is gonna get some type of trade protection and if he didn't that would be dirty anyways . Yotes don't need cap ATM maybe it would work through the sens if he knew

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Given what Skinner just got and that apparantely around 8 teams have Duchene as their Plan A and Plan B in UFA, I wouldn't honestly be shocked if he gets offered 10M+ by someone.

Don't think Arizona has any realistic shot at getting him after what happened in COL and OTT.

I still think he will sign for around Skinner money with NSH (or MTL) because he IMO will be valuing fit over maxing out his money but no doubt that his contract has potential to look ugly.

Basically like almost every contract this summer. We are close to a lockout and thanks to Toronto the market seems to have totally reset. Not a great combination but probably also a bit expected given that we are adding 2 more teams having to spend around 80M...

I just hope the Avs can get Rantanen done early for a somewhat reasonable amount and don't do anything stupid in UFA.

I also believe a lockout is coming with next CBA (after 2021-2022 season). Contracts are, again, getting out of control. Matthews and Nylander was a horrible precedent to set. Skinner was also a horrible contract. I'm betting Duchene and Marner are going to have ugly contracts too.

And the gap between success between franchises has continued to be a financial one

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
No chance Duchene signs for less than $10 million AAV. With this many teams bidding and him being a rare youngish star center on the open market...he’s going to command a haul. Would not be surprised at something like $10.5 million x 8.

Reactions: rt

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
I'm not a coyote fan by the way....But I am a long time RT fan. I want to see Duchene in Arizona simply for him to get some payback for his years of loyalty and faith. I know all you Avs fans would lie cheat and steal to prevent that, but I dont care. So keep lying Avs fans....we get it it's what you do.

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
can you expand on this?
The Duchene trade threads to the Islanders asking for Barzal Sorokin and a first. The Duchene trade to Quebec. In each case av's fans swore their asks were reasonable. Even generous, but in the end we can see that wasn't exactly the truth

oh yeah let's not forget the Tyson Barrie for Hall threads either. Hey I don't blame them it's what they do. But they never admit that they were trying to take advantage either. And that to me isn't kosher.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad