TSN: Matt Duchene is the Coyotes primary focus

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Jesus. Is that why Chayka won’t pull the trigger on Kessel? :laugh:

1. Thought the Coyotes had “money problems”
2. Is big money for a center really what that team needs with Schmaltz, Dvorak, Stepan, Richardson, Cousins on the roster and then Hayton coming up in the system??
3. Really unlikely Duchene goes there, not many players want to be in AZ. I think MTL, CBJ, or NSH would be his choices.

I hope Chayka saves his money for Duchene, whiffs on him, and realizes he should have paid the price for Kessel.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
This contract is going to be awful day 1. Everyone knows it.

Given what Skinner just got and that apparantely around 8 teams have Duchene as their Plan A and Plan B in UFA, I wouldn't honestly be shocked if he gets offered 10M+ by someone.

Don't think Arizona has any realistic shot at getting him after what happened in COL and OTT.

I still think he will sign for around Skinner money with NSH (or MTL) because he IMO will be valuing fit over maxing out his money but no doubt that his contract has potential to look ugly.

Basically like almost every contract this summer. We are close to a lockout and thanks to Toronto the market seems to have totally reset. Not a great combination but probably also a bit expected given that we are adding 2 more teams having to spend around 80M...

I just hope the Avs can get Rantanen done early for a somewhat reasonable amount and don't do anything stupid in UFA.

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Money is there with new ownership pending. Schmaltz slides to wing if Duchene comes in.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
This makes no sense. Center is more valuable position and he'd instantly become the top center on that team so he'd just force someone else to slide to the wing.

Arizona has a bunch of middle 6 C's.....
No, that makes no sense haha

A team like the Yotes who apparently have money issues are gonna throw 10m at Duchene and just bump one of their natural centers to wing because f*** it Duchene is talented?

That’s a huge waste. The team has plenty centers already, why not sign a winger for much less than what Duchene would make and let your players play their actual position instead of bumping them out of their comfort zone. The team also needs RHD way more than they need another center. It’s just not being smart with your money.

If Edmonton calls and says hey take Conor McDavid off our hands, sure you make room for him. But Duchene is not THAT good. Up until this past season he’s never even had a ppg season. He’s not worth the contract he’s about to get.

Yotes are way better off trading for Kessel, or trading for Kapanen, or signing a winger like Johansson, or signing a RHD like Myers.

Reactions: Antonche

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

2. Is big money for a center really what that team needs with Schmaltz, Dvorak, Stepan, Richardson, Cousins on the roster and then Hayton coming up in the system??
3. Really unlikely Duchene goes there, not many players want to be in AZ. I think MTL, CBJ, or NSH would be his choices.

I hope Chayka saves his money for Duchene, whiffs on him, and realizes he should have paid the price for Kessel.

The Coyotes could definitely use a bonafide 1C. Duchene, however, is not that. I can't imagine why he'd leave Columbus for AZ, anyhow.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

1. Dreger indicated the new ownership would come with a big influx of money.

Side note: Some of the rumors flying around about who this new owner might be are very exciting, to say the least.

2. Schmaltz could easily be shifted to wing. Richardson is not in our plans long term. Stepan is declining fast.

Side note: My preference would be to draft another center, in fact. They’re the most valuable pieces out there. Can’t have too many.

3. I don’t buy it. Show me some evidence that players don’t want to go to Phoenix.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

A team like the Yotes who apparently have money issues are gonna throw 10m at Duchene and just bump one of their natural centers to wing because **** it Duchene is talented?

That’s a huge waste. The team has plenty centers already, why not sign a winger for much less than what Duchene would make and let your players play their actual position instead of bumping them out of their comfort zone. The team also needs RHD way more than they need another center. It’s just not being smart with your money.

If Edmonton calls and says hey take Conor McDavid off our hands, sure you make room for him. But Duchene is not THAT good. Up until this past season he’s never even had a ppg season. He’s not worth the contract he’s about to get.

Yotes are way better off trading for Kessel, or trading for Kapanen, or signing a winger like Johansson, or signing a RHD like Myers.
At least half of the Coyotes fan base would celebrate Schmaltz being moved to wing. His being a bonafide NHL center is still very much in the “experimental” category. Richardson is old. Stepan plays like he’s even older. Center ice is very much an issue for the Coyotes.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019

A team like the Yotes who apparently have money issues are gonna throw 10m at Duchene and just bump one of their natural centers to wing because **** it Duchene is talented?

Well now you're bringing up the cap hit and contract aspect. In terms of just position and where he might slot into the team, it's dumb to say Arizona already has too many centers when they're all middle-6/bottom-6 centers and Duchene is a top 6 center.

Guys like Dvorak and Schmaltz can and have played the wing before. A guy like Derek Stepan can not. If Duchene and Arizona could come together to terms, I'm sure one of the former would move to the wing at least short term. Or you could always try to trade from a position of supposed strength like C, too.

If Duchene wants 10M that might be a problem for any team, not just the Coyotes. That we can agree on.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
This makes no sense. Center is more valuable position and he'd instantly become the top center on that team so he'd just force someone else to slide to the wing.

Arizona has a bunch of middle 6 C's.....

they should clear a few centres for wingers before they start targeting a centre. it isnt ea nhl, players dont always like getting moved from their natural positions

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I think the biggest stumbling block for Arizona will not be the AAV but contract structure.

A team like Montreal can front load the hell out of the deal and pay it all in signing bonuses Tavares style. Could Arizona match that?

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
they should clear a few centres for wingers before they start targeting a centre. it isnt ea nhl, players dont always like getting moved from their natural positions

I mean you'd have time to work out a trade and/or have one of the other C's practice on the wing during offseason. I'm not even high on Duchene at this point anymore but there's no denying how big of an upgrade hw ould be at C on that team that I don't think it's fair to say they shouldn't be in on him because they have a bunch of other lesser centers, but that's just my 2 cents.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think the biggest stumbling block for Arizona will not be the AAV but contract structure.

A team like Montreal can front load the hell out of the deal and pay it all in signing bonuses Tavares style. Could Arizona match that?

But Montreal doesn't need Duchene. Coyotes are a much better fit. C is a position of strength for the Habs. LHD is where we need support. Or signing EK and moving Petry to shore up the LHD side.

Coyotes should really throw money at Duchene. Much better than wasting it on a capdump like Marleau.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Side note: Some of the rumors flying around about who this new owner might be are very exciting, to say the least.

2. Schmaltz could easily be shifted to wing. Richardson is not in our plans long term. Stepan is declining fast.

Side note: My preference would be to draft another center, in fact. They’re the most valuable pieces out there. Can’t have too many.

3. I don’t buy it. Show me some evidence that players don’t want to go to Phoenix.
Rather live in Phoenix than Columbus or Montreal

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

They will Once the new ownership comes in

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

There is no evidence of that for any team. But when was the last time a big free agent was like “hey I want to go play for the Coyotes”. I can’t think of the last time the Yotes landed anyone significant in free agency. Not to mention he shouldn’t even be your main target. Someone else in the thread nailed it on the head, Duchene is not a bonafide 1C, so spending elite 1C money on him would probably make you guys worse when it comes to filling out the rest of your roster.

Montreal and Nashville are bound to be going heavy after Duchene and both places are decidedly more attractive than AZ. You could argue AZ is better than Columbus Ohio, but if Duchene has like 5+ offers on the table (which there’s rumored to be plenty of interest) I can’t see him picking the Yotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad