TSN: Matt Duchene is the Coyotes primary focus

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
There is no evidence of that for any team. But when was the last time a big free agent was like “hey I want to go play for the Coyotes”. I can’t think of the last time the Yotes landed anyone significant in free agency. Not to mention he shouldn’t even be your main target. Someone else in the thread nailed it on the head, Duchene is not a bonafide 1C, so spending elite 1C money on him would probably make you guys worse when it comes to filling out the rest of your roster.

Montreal and Nashville are bound to be going heavy after Duchene and both places are decidedly more attractive than AZ. You could argue AZ is better than Columbus Ohio, but if Duchene has like 5+ offers on the table (which there’s rumored to be plenty of interest) I can’t see him picking the Yotes.

Montreal and Nashville decidedly more attractive than AZ. I take it Toby has not been to AZ. There's a reason Canadians flock here in droves, almost every professional athlete that comes here never seems to want to leave and if they do, they make this their permanent residence. I feel like this is such a tired and false mindset and the only place I ever see it is here on HF.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
The best part about all of this, is Duchene acting like a baby Not even trying on the ice in Colorado, cause he wanted a trade to a playoff team. Since then he's seen the playoffs once after playing for a bottom feeder and now he might chase money right back into the basement. The guy is cancer. Wouldn't resign him in Denver for any amount.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It will cost arizona a mid 1st and some roster player like goligoski or Fischer to get kessel

It would cost them nothing but money to get the younger faceoff taking more defensively responsibile Duchene who going forward will be good for roughly the same production

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
It would cost them nothing but money to get the younger faceoff taking more defensively responsibile Duchene who going forward will be good for roughly the same production

"But money"

That is Arizona's biggest problem.

Kessel at 6.8 vs Duchene at 10+ is a huge difference. And Kessel is the better player

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
"But money"

Kessel at 6.8 vs Duchene at 10+ is a huge difference. And Kessel is the better player

Kessel at this point is not the better player. The extra 10 points he gets playing pp time with Crosby and Malkin does not outweigh how much more Duchene brings in other areas of the game. They're both 65-75 point players in Phoenix

Arizona has a ton they need to spend to even be near the cap. And replacing Fisher/1st round elc would cost guess what? MONEY

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
"But money"

Kessel has a $8 million cap hit, which the Leafs are retaining $1.2 million on, so 15%. He has $19 million left in future cash payments. So, cash wise it would be lower by $2.75 million So, $16.25 million over 3 years so that's $5.4 million cash on average.

Duchene is going to be around a $9 million or so cap hit with other teams front loading the contract by upwards of 30% or so of the cap hit.

From Duchene's POV or any big name free agent, can you really go to AZ and trust that they will still spend in the coming years?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Kessel has a $8 million cap hit, which the Leafs are retaining $1.2 million on, so 15%. He has $19 million left in future cash payments. So, cash wise it would be lower by $2.75 million So, $16.25 million over 3 years so that's $5.4 million cash on average.

Duchene is going to be around a $9 million or so cap hit with other teams front loading the contract by upwards of 30% or so of the cap hit.

From Duchene's POV or any big name free agent, can you really go to AZ and trust that they will still spend in the coming years?

Duchene is getting 10. At the least.

Kessel actually WANTS to go to Arizona.

It seems inevitable that Pittsburgh and Arizona make a deal in june or July

Unless They actually get Duchene.

Maybe a kessel deal waits until after july 1. Unless...they want both?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Duchene is getting 10. At the least.

Kessel actually WANTS to go to Arizona.

It seems inevitable that Pittsburgh and Arizona make a deal in june or July

Unless They actually get Duchene.

Maybe a kessel deal waits until after july 1. Unless...they want both?
They should go for both, do they have any easy to move cap ? I'd assume duchene would be more valuable with keller slotting in as 1 rw hopefully for the future.

They could probably trade hossas contract to the sens if its insured/ or just use ltir before the season starts and then clear 4 million in trades

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kessel at this point is not the better player. The extra 10 points he gets playing pp time with Crosby and Malkin does not outweigh how much more Duchene brings in other areas of the game. They're both 65-75 point players in Phoenix

Arizona has a ton they need to spend to even be near the cap. And replacing Fisher/1st round elc would cost guess what? MONEY

They do?

Am I missing something here (per CapFriendly):

Arizona Coyotes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Can you do a trade and sign? ARZ signs Duchene, lets say team B trades a 1st for Duchene minus 10% of the contract? Would AR do this?

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Can you do a trade and sign? ARZ signs Duchene, lets say team B trades a 1st for Duchene minus 10% of the contract? Would AR do this?

And why would Arizona do that when they finally get their best center since Roenick? Also Duchene comes with full NMC

Edit: Also it is steep to retain for 7 years, even if it is only around 1 million per year

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
According to him on Spittin Chicklets, winning is #1 so unless he sees Arizona being better than other options I doubt he lands there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad