Waived: Matt D'Agostini Waived (Claimed by Buffalo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karnage420*

so what is the speculation on this move? hoping to clear cap space to bring up despres? or a trade? or just he blows badly?

hes just a bad hockey player.

along with:
adams
engelland
dupuis (for his cap hit, and just in general - although he made some degree of difficulty tips earlier in the season)

These players are just not worth a spot on this team.

to a lesser extent this also applies to:
Orpik (paul martin really making him look better than he is, but he's cost efficient)
Glass (although hes been much much much better this year, not sure if the hate is deserved - will be a force in the playoffs if he keeps it up)

I'd put our chances of being a stanley cup contender at 15% today.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
so what is the speculation on this move? hoping to clear cap space to bring up despres? or a trade? or just he blows badly?

IIRC he can still play, he hasn't been sent down yet, they're just preparing to do so. The most probable reason is Kobasew is ready/almost ready and D'Ags is not a good hockey player.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
hes just a bad hockey player.

along with:
adams
engelland
dupuis (for his cap hit, and just in general - although he made some degree of difficulty tips earlier in the season)

These players are just not worth a spot on this team.

to a lesser extent this also applies to:
Orpik (paul martin really making him look better than he is, but he's cost efficient)
Glass (although hes been much much much better this year, not sure if the hate is deserved - will be a force in the playoffs if he keeps it up)

I'd put our chances of being a stanley cup contender at 15% today.

Might as well add Letang to that list as well. For what he is being paid, he's the worst at actually playing defense. That's alarming.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
D'Agostini was a zero risk signing who looked like a decent candidate to fill TK's role at a fraction of the price. Neither Gibbons nor Megna did anything last year to make people think they were shoo-ins to be better options this year. But they took leaps in development, D'Agostini faltered, and we waived him.

So what's the problem here?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
D'Agostini was a zero risk signing who looked like a decent candidate to fill TK's role at a fraction of the price. Neither Gibbons nor Megna did anything last year to make people think they were shoo-ins to be better options this year. But they took leaps in development, D'Agostini faltered, and we waived him.

nothing really. he played what 8 games and had a single assist... kind of weird they cut ties with him that quick with forward injuries unless they had something else in mind

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
nothing really. he played what 8 games and had a single assist... kind of weird they cut ties with him that quick with forward injuries unless they had something else in mind

All the call-ups playing better than him despite being put in a lot of advantageous situations played a big part, I'm sure.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
DESPRES DESPRES DESPRES DESPRES PLEASE SIMON SIMON SIMON SIMON SIMON

Kunitz-Crosby-Letang
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal

Orpik-Martin
Maatta-Despres
Nisk-Bort

OR

I will be happy if it's a trade :) I hope they will make a trade tommorow morning . I will dream about the trade tonight .

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
DESPRES DESPRES DESPRES DESPRES PLEASE SIMON SIMON SIMON SIMON SIMON

Kunitz-Crosby-Letang
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal

Orpik-Martin
Maatta-Despres
Nisk-Bort

OR

I will be happy if it's a trade :) I hope they will make a trade tommorow morning . I will dream about the trade tonight .

Letang at wing is a stupid stupid idea. You don't want it to happen.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Arguably, yes. Of course some of us also said that unless he caught fire and started sniping on the top6, he would prove worthless for us as he addressed none of the relative weaknesses on our roster.
Ultimately, in Kobasew we got that player you describe in the underlined, so D'Ago.... Fluffer.... was not only injured from the off, he was also rendered pretty much useless and redundant before the season even started.

No complaints that they didn't cut him immediately though. I think now they have given him enough games that it is justifiable to cut him lose. My only grievance is that signing Fluffer in the first place was another indication that Shero has not been identifying/prioritizing the types of players this team needs for several years.

NB: you can then say that I cannot know that because maybe he did try and those players were simply unavailable or not willing to sign with the Pens. My answer to that is that as a GM, when a problem persists over numerous years it doesn't matter if you tried your best.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I think Letang is our best option to replace Kennedy, once they cross the blueline they play pretty much the same, actually.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Arguably, yes. Of course some of us also said that unless he caught fire and started sniping on the top6, he would prove worthless for us as he addressed none of the relative weaknesses on our roster.
Ultimately, in Kobasew we got that player you describe in the underlined, so D'Ago.... Fluffer.... was not only injured from the off, he was also rendered pretty much useless and redundant before the season even started.

No complaints that they didn't cut him immediately though. I think now they have given him enough games that it is justifiable to cut him lose. My only grievance is that signing Fluffer in the first place was another indication that Shero has not been identifying/prioritizing the types of players this team needs for several years.

NB: you can then say that I cannot know that because maybe he did try and those players were simply unavailable or not willing to sign with the Pens. My answer to that is that as a GM, when a problem persists over numerous years it doesn't matter if you tried your best.

Who did the Pens trade for last year?

What happened to the league's cap over the summer?

There are your answers, TR. D'Agostini was not ideal. He was, however, a dirt cheap potential replacement for an outgoing player who we could jettison without a second thought if he didn't work out.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I said it before & I'll say it after there is literally no comparison between him & Kennedy. I don't who came up with that.

Guy was useless & Kobasew turned out to be an alright extra forward. At this point there are a couple Baby Pens players that we've seen that are better than D'Agostini.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I said it before & I'll say it after there is literally no comparison between him & Kennedy. I don't who came up with that.

Guy was useless & Kobasew turned out to be an alright extra forward. At this point there are a couple Baby Pens players that we've seen that are better than D'Agostini.

You shocked me. I wasn't expecting a more detailed response than 'good riddance', because it's the most accurate and succinct description of today's transaction. ;)

Fire Shero*

Well at least Shero admitted
his mistake. Another one of
his countless dumpster diving free agent signings that didn't work out.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Well at least Shero admitted
his mistake. Another one of
his countless dumpster diving free agent signings that didn't work out.

It wasn't like he had the money to do anything but dumpster diving. There was no risk here and his other dumpster dive Kobasew has turned into a serviceable player.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
Going back to Raymond, signing him for cheap and using the money for Dupuis to sign Clarke MacArthur instead would have been a very savvy move by Shero.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wonder what Mike Comrie is doing?

No qualms with waiving him. Just don't need him. Would nice to get some WBS guys up and give them a chance at a more permanent place. Megna should be up here for an extended look as the Bennett replacement. Try:

Kunitz-Crosby-Megna
Joks/Dup-Malkin-Neal
Joks/Dup-Sutter-Kobasew
Sill-Vitale-Adams

I worry about our defense right now too. I would REALLY like Despres to be called up right now.

Letang-Despres
Orpik-Niskanen
Maatta-Bortuzzo
Engo

is what needs to be happening. Letang-Orpik is asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad