Waived: Matt D'Agostini Waived (Claimed by Buffalo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You caught me there. That Lovejoy deal was a really savvy move. Unless of course you are talking about Whitney for Kunitz and Tangradi, which might coincidentally be the last season Shero really made savvy moves.

Nobody here had issues with Lovejoy moving on. :laugh:

Unlike Strait, the guy was given more than enough chances. He just wasn't a good fit for our puck retrieval/breakout, and said as much himself.

But no, Shero hasn't fleeced an elite GM in 4 years, the slug. He's only made multiple really good trades with mediocre GMs over that period...so good that people hilariously try to discredit them because they were too good.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Going back to Raymond, signing him for cheap and using the money for Dupuis to sign Clarke MacArthur instead would have been a very savvy move by Shero.

They would have been nice to have for sure. It really seems with Shero he is afraid of turnover. He wants the same cast like change is some horrible thing.

I still think Shero is a smart guy & right now there just isn't much out there for him to do. He was given a tough situation in the offseason with the UFA & in the short term those contracts(Letang/Dupuis) look like a mistake but it is just the short term.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wonder if the depleted offensive prospect pool has Shero worrisome about trades?

Look at Erat. You make a trade, it doesn't work out...what do you do? Especially if you do it for a UFA like Hossa who might move on. Morrow, Iginla, Murray, Poni, etc...it wouldn't have mattered had they signed or moved on. Hossa bolting was a blow and the contingency was Satan and Fedatanko :lol:

Yes we won the cup, but come on now.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Who did the Pens trade for last year?

Lots of players. So many in fact that it was probably a problem as regards loss of continuity. Players who we let go of immediately after the season, and players who did not fit the way the coach had us play.

In one case seemingly it was 'the ideal guy' in Iginla, but obviously that was not coordinated with the coach, which seems extremely daft and destroyed what good was in that trade. Indeed, it conspired to actually make us worse.
Otherwise we are talking about players (outside of Jokinen, a move I praised and still praise) where I and many others here said that they were big gambles based on their (then) current performance and natural age and wear/tear decay. More so when considering the assets spent to acquire them. Reality is that we spent a 1st, 2nd's and Joe Morrow to have Iginla, Morrow and Murray for that cup run. The latter two were always meaningless for us long term. The first... enough said about that which I never put on Shero before, but if he knew that Bylsma would not play him with Crosby, I think Shero was very wrong to acquire him. We can't know about that, but certainly the Dupuis/Bylsma quotes on Dupuis permanency with Crosby suggests that this could be the case.

What happened to the league's cap over the summer?

I don't care. Shero's job is to prioritize and get results, and he prioritized signing Scuderi, extending Dupuis and not dealing Orpik and/or Niskanen, both of whom were very much tradeable and more so after picking up Scuderi. It is also on Shero to find good value. I plugged a Penner signing because he picked it up last year and has a great playoff track record; he adds the size and net-front presence we need and could be a good third wheel for Geno a'la Malone. Don't know if he was ever in play for us, but that guy signed for Anaheim for 2 million per, is +18 and has 17 points in 19 games. Jiggy was vocal about Mayson Raymond as a speedy player with good hands and sound play in all zones. He cost a million for Toronto, he is second in points there and has 17 points in 24 games while playing 18.15 per game.

Now, I don't know if there was dialogue with or interest from any of those players. I am just pointing out that they are different types of players than those we have been acquiring, Penner more so, of course. And ultimately these players have been very successful at very manageable cost levels. You judge a GM on results. Not intent or could have/might have.

There are your answers, TR. D'Agostini was not ideal. He was, however, a dirt cheap potential replacement for an outgoing player who we could jettison without a second thought if he didn't work out.

Fluffer doesn't matter anyway really. What matters is that we got NO ONE who could help out with our dire lack of players who can be effective on the boards and make our bottom 6 tougher to play. Outside of that side kick for Sid or Geno, at least for one of them if we optimistically count Bennett as a shoe in for either role, that was the obvious need in the Summer, and... nada.
D'Agostini was/would be an understandable low-risk gamble if he provided anything the team needed. And even if he didn't, if he didn't pan out we could always waive him like now and there'd be no cap consequences. I agree with that entirely.

But it comes back to when I say that Shero has not successfully identified and addressed the actual OBVIOUS needs of this roster for a long time. Fluffer was given a contract early with lots of more useful players still in play. It didn't seem very meaningful at the time and it proved to be like that also.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We're 8 years into Sid's career, and he's still flanked by Pascal Dupuis. In a post-Staal era, that's pretty inexcusable. Shero can make all the moves he wants, but he needs to address that once and for all and communicate properly with his coach when such a move happens.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Shero hasn't done well but I will never forgive Bylsma for refusing to play my two favorite players who are almost perfect matches in terms of playing style on the same line for more than two games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
sid playing with an elite winger for 2 months of his 8 years n the league is why Shero is an absolute failure as GM of this team

This right here is the problem with the GM on this team. I think Fletcher would have done a better job, hell maybe Botterill could as well.

The injury issues with Beau this year has me a tad worrisome in terms of prospects that can step in and make a difference, Beau was supposed to be that guy but now he's nursing a 8-10 week recovery to get back.

Tom Kuhnhackl isn't going to get a call-up unless he suddenly goes beast mode for a week, I'm also hoping Zlobin can as well.

Anything is better than more grinders getting called up. But yeah, wasting valuable cap space on guys like Dupuis, etc, is not good cap management.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Shero hasn't done well but I will never forgive Bylsma for refusing to play my two favorite players who are almost perfect matches in terms of playing style on the same line for more than two games.

"Oh, they won gold together at the Olympics as linemates? My goodness...I think he'd be a fantastic left winger for Malkin then."

#bylsmalogic

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We're 8 years into Sid's career, and he's still flanked by Pascal Dupuis. In a post-Staal era, that's pretty inexcusable. Shero can make all the moves he wants, but he needs to address that once and for all and communicate properly with his coach when such a move happens.

In the 8yrs Sid has been in the league, Dupuis has been his winger since after the Cup win, for the last 4yrs or so I think. Half of his career has been spent looking for a winger and a guy in the twilight of his career ended up being a good one after the one that would have been perfect, bolted for the Wings and then later the Hawks.

In that time, no winger has come up through the system and made an impact on the team as a legit top 6 winger, producing as one.

The problems with this team, as I said in another thread, is management; coaching and the GM.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I wouldn't consider signing a guy to league minimum a mistake. It's a very low-risk move. Especially when our depth at wing is pretty bad.

Well heck then. Let's just sign ONLY league minimum players to contracts. We will have tons of cap room (although it would be useless) and our roster would be mistake free! Awesome.

FWIW, I don't care if it is the league minimum or not. It is obvious that he can't play on this team and is taking away a potential roster spot from a potential prospect (and some have shown that they CAN play in this league). Thus, his signing was a mistake.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Well heck then. Let's just sign ONLY league minimum players to contracts. We will have tons of cap room (although it would be useless) and our roster would be mistake free! Awesome.

FWIW, I don't care if it is the league minimum or not. It is obvious that he can't play on this team and is taking away a potential roster spot from a potential prospect (and some have shown that they CAN play in this league). Thus, his signing was a mistake.

Shero seems to be a fan of them. Question is...looking back is there even one that has worked out?

Comrie was my personal favorite. Tangradi-Comrie-Malkin 4ever!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wonder if anyone will claim Matt D'Agostinki.

Daigle wasn't used all that well by the Pens when he joined them, he was a skill guy that was trying to make it back and showed flashes of it, so naturally the team used him in the bottom 6 and sparingly used him in the top 6 here and there...it cracks me up how the more things change with this team, the more they stay the same. Daigle went off to the Wild and put up decent numbers there for what he was at that point in his career. I remember him being better than a .5ppg player with the Wild, I think he put up 45-50pts in his first year there and then was still doing well before he left the league after a 2yr stint with the Wild, or was it 3? In any case, this team has a history of trying to take on projects and then screwing that up royally.

The only guy that I have seen them give a proper chance after trading for the guy, after he fell out of favor as a top 6 player, is Jussi Jokinen. That seemed more like a fluke than anything...

D'Agostini and Kobasew, while ok for bottom 6 guys, well the latter more so than the former, they were not needed. The team had options, Megna was talked about all throughout the camp as a guy for the bottom 6, even Payerl. So why the hell does a GM that has very little cap space to work with, blow that space for players that are not worth the time or money? The level of incompetence within this team's organization is just maddening.

Shero can shove his 3 or 5 or whatever year plans up his ass. He vouched for a coach that seems to have brain farts with matching up lines when he has the last change, scratches players that are effective for players that aren't....and a GM that really doesn't have a great deal to show for in his draft history with this team.

Last edited:

Fire Shero*

When did all the Shero hate start????

I'm loving it because I've hated him for quite some time, but 90% of you praised him until recently. It's not like his crappy drafting, inability to find Sid a respectable winger or his overall tendency to sign worthless free agents are new problems. He's been ****** for quite sometime.

Was it the Dupuis signing? Scuderi? Not trading Orpik or Niskanen. It is funny how everyone assumed nisky would be dealt this summer.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
When did all the Shero hate start????

I'm loving it because I've hated him for quite some time, but 90% of you praised him until recently. It's not like his crappy drafting, inability to find Sid a respectable winger or his overall tendency to sign worthless free agents are new problems. He's been ****** for quite sometime.

Was it the Dupuis signing? Scuderi? Not trading Orpik or Niskanen. It is funny how everyone assumed nisky would be dealt this summer.

When they announced Bylsma got an extension and was not fired. That's pretty much when I lost hope. Then they re-signed Scuderi and that just made it beyond a doubt he was living in the past.

And finding a winger for Sid and signing good free agents, easier said than done.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We are venturing way off topic and going into stuff other threads have. Let's keep this about the Dags and being waived./

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'll keep this open a while longer so everyone can rejoice but as he is no longer a Penguin, D'Ags will not longer clutter up this here board.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
By the way Buffalo had the first place in waiver priority order. D'Agostini was a hot commodity.

We've now lost three guys on waivers this year: D'Agostini, Jeffrey and MacIntyre. Last season we lost Strait. Seems like teams covet our scrubs. A problem good teams usually have since I think Los Angeles Kings have lost quite a few players on waivers in the past few years too. Chicago lost Stanton this season. Nobody wants Detroit's overpaid bums though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad