Waived: Matt D'Agostini Waived (Claimed by Buffalo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Dupuis Sutter Kobasew; it could be worse. If that happens when bb gets back...

JoeniiChan

Oct 28, 2013
I wouldn't consider signing a guy to league minimum a mistake. It's a very low-risk move. Especially when our depth at wing is pretty bad.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Good. Gamble didnt work, move on.

Megna in the minors while Dagostini takes a roster spot didnt make any sense

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
They gave a one-way deal to this guy and he was so bad that they waived him after he played just 8 games. Great job by the pro scouting...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wouldn't consider signing a guy to league minimum a mistake. It's a very low-risk move. Especially when our depth at wing is pretty bad.

I agree in principle.

But... did you see the guy play? He is what he is at this point. I'd be extremely surprised if another team even takes him. Money and cap considerations aren't what I'm thinking of, here... he was basically one of the 4 or 5 guys on the roster acting as a roadblock.

There isn't much down on the farm as far as forwards go. But I'd rather roll the dice on just about any of them over Matt D'Agostini.

JoeniiChan

Oct 28, 2013
I agree in principle.

But... did you see the guy play? He is what he is at this point. I'd be extremely surprised if another team even takes him. Money and cap considerations aren't what I'm thinking of, here... he was basically one of the 4 or 5 guys on the roster acting as a roadblock.

There isn't much down on the farm as far as forwards go. But I'd rather roll the dice on just about any of them over Matt D'Agostini.

I'm not saying he wasn't bad. I just wouldn't consider it a mistake, it was a one-year deal and he was getting paid nothing, there was no risk involved at all. Hindsight's 20/20.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think it's important to note once again that Matt D'Agostini (StL) and Chuck Kobasew (Col) were both used as fourth liners before coming here. Both were even used as centers, but mostly played fourth-line roles/minutes. One played for a contender and the other a pretender (at the time, at least).

I really don't know what they expect.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
it's a mistake because it tied up 500k and it robbed a spot from someone who is going to eventually take the spot anyhow.

The organization would rather give a spot to a relatively horrible player like Dags than let guys in WBS fight it out and earn a spot.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
I'm not saying he wasn't bad. I just wouldn't consider it a mistake, it was a one-year deal and he was getting paid nothing, there was no risk involved at all. Hindsight's 20/20.

i think it's only a "mistake" in that they could have possibly signed a guy for similar money who fits their bottom lines' styles better. those types of mistakes, though, have almost no repercussions. worst-case, you waive him and he gets claimed. even then, he's very replaceable.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
He wasn't being paid nothing. You can google his salary right now. If you watched the games you'd know he was being outplayed by multiple guys that were then sent down because as a veteran on the pittsburgh penguins, he is entitled to a roster spot.

JoeniiChan

Oct 28, 2013
I honestly though he could've done decently as a replacement for Kennedy. I also find it interesting that they decided to go with D'Agostini over Mason Raymond.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I honestly though he could've done decently as a replacement for Kennedy. I also find it interesting that they decided to go with D'Agostini over Mason Raymond.

If by "interesting" you mean "devastatingly infuriating" then I agree wholeheartedly.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
That could have been Raymond's decision more than the Pens. Not everybody wants to come here.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
I just figured they passed on Raymond to sign someone with more grit. Then they signed Kobasew and Dagger. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad