Waived: Matt D'Agostini Waived (Claimed by Buffalo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Sad when you know before your GM does that he'll eventually put him on waivers.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I just figured they passed on Raymond to sign someone with more grit. Then they signed Kobasew and Dagger. Yikes.

Look back on my post history. I BEGGED for Raymond, but our GM sure knew better.

I hate this team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I have a feeling Jacques Martin played a role in D'Agostini signing here.

D'ags was signed on July 10th. Martin hired in August. I suppose you could argue Martin was advising the team a month earlier, but if an un-hired coach is making suggestions of UFA's to sign and then we sign them, we have bigger problems with Shero than I thought.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I was willing to give D'agostini a shot but his pathetic performance from last night's game resulted in this no doubt about it. At one point he couldn't even dump the puck in the corner, lost it to the Bruins D at the blue line I believe Chara, instead of putting pressure and making sure his team completed a line change with a fore check he simply turned around and went for a line change:shakehead

It was so clear, at that point might as well sign Sergei Kostitsyn at least he has offensive talent

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
What was his injury, exactly? Did he come back too soon from it? He just hasn't looked like an NHL player at all so far. How the hell did he once score 21 goals in a season? I WANT ANSWERS!
He just sucks. Kennedy had 21 goals one time also, believe it or not.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Look back on my post history. I BEGGED for Raymond, but our GM sure knew better.

I hate this team.

I would have preferred Raymond as well but maybe the guy didn't want to sign in Pittsburgh, we don't know his decision and maybe he was offered a different role in TO or promised something

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I would have preferred Raymond as well but maybe the guy didn't want to sign in Pittsburgh, we don't know his decision and maybe he was offered a different role in TO or promised something

All I know is that when you're waiting til September for someone to offer you a contract, you stop being choosy about where you go.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
It's comments like "**** Shero for signing D'ags and not Mason Raymond, zomgz1!" that make me take all of the organizational hate on these boards with a massive serving of salt.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Good that D'agostini was waived. Like with Zach Boychuk, I have no understanding of how he got an NHL callup at any point in his career in the first place.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's comments like "**** Shero for signing D'ags and not Mason Raymond, zomgz1!" that make me take all of the organizational hate on these boards with a massive serving of salt.

OK. I understand being put off by the over-the-top negativity.

But why is this criticism somehow off the table? Plenty of people recognized it as a potential impact signing with little risk involved. And Shero seems to have a knack swinging and missing with these projects he brings in while there are real options out there that fit that category.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
D'ags was signed on July 10th. Martin hired in August. I suppose you could argue Martin was advising the team a month earlier, but if an un-hired coach is making suggestions of UFA's to sign and then we sign them, we have bigger problems with Shero than I thought.

Hahaha... welp... there goes that theory.

There goes that one! :laugh:

Thanks Shady.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If he doesn't get claimed, he could conceivably stay up. Putting him on waivers is just half the battle to sending him down.

If we have such a dire injury situation, I could see us keeping him up.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
OK. I understand being put off by the over-the-top negativity.

But why is this criticism somehow off the table? Plenty of people recognized it as a potential impact signing with little risk involved. And Shero seems to have a knack swinging and missing with these projects he brings in while there are real options out there that fit that category.

I was actually lobbying for Raymond this summer, as well. But holy false dichotomy, Batman! Calling out management for signing D'ags "instead" of Raymond requires serious mental gymnastics. Was Raymond interested in playing here, period? What was his original asking price ($ and term)? Could we have enticed him to play here by matching or bettering TML's offer? Did signing D'ags preclude us from (theoretically) pursuing Raymond? Any time people point to diamond in the rough signings as examples of their GM's incompetence, I can't help but laugh. I share in the frustration with our roster problems and coaching, but I refuse to join this circlejerk of hatred where every non-signing and $500k contract is ostensibly indicative of overarching problems with "philosophy" and/or management's supposed incompetence.

As an aside, the Bylsma hate is even more hysterical. People seriously chastise Bylsma for "lines" that exist for 12 seconds during on-the-fly line changes.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
I wouldn't consider signing a guy to league minimum a mistake. It's a very low-risk move. Especially when our depth at wing is pretty bad.

True, but when you consider the Pens signed him and Kobasew both at league minimum, you could have spent that money on a player that adds more than both combined...

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

It's not like people didn't see this coming when he was signed...

It's Shero's job to find the right players in free agency. So far Martin is the only FA that has really worked out in his 8 years here. Bad signings should be criticized.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't disagree that I often wish people would watch the game with a bit more patience before getting all bent out of shape about things. Hell... I'm guilty of that myself, sometimes.

Your point about needing two parties to make a deal is a fair one. But Raymond lasted awfully long in the FA pool. I only have precedent to go on but I just have to assume that Shero didn't even kick the tires based on what does and doesn't make a Pittsburgh Penguin.

I also get that slamming the GM over fringe signings is a bit silly. But the thing is... with this team, hitting on projects at least occasionally is important. Their track record in that regard seems pretty abysmal.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I was actually lobbying for Raymond this summer, as well. But holy false dichotomy, Batman! Calling out management for signing D'ags "instead" of Raymond requires serious mental gymnastics. Was Raymond interested in playing here, period? What was his original asking price ($ and term)? Could we have enticed him to play here by matching or bettering TML's offer? Did signing D'ags preclude us from (theoretically) pursuing Raymond? Any time people point to diamond in the rough signings as examples of their GM's incompetence, I can't help but laugh. I share in the frustration with our roster problems and coaching, but I refuse to join this circlejerk of hatred where every non-signing and $500k contract is ostensibly indicative of overarching problems with "philosophy" and/or management's supposed incompetence.

As an aside, the Bylsma hate is even more hysterical. People seriously chastise Bylsma for "lines" that exist for 12 seconds during on-the-fly line changes.

Raymond only got a ****ing try-out, and you're trying to argue that he wouldn't have signed a contract if Shero offered him one?

The endless excuses for Shero baffle me sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA