Matt Carle

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Because he wasn't very good in the playoffs. He's not as good as he once was and when combined with Sustr they are just a horrible duo. He also makes way too much for how he plays and we could better use that money on a more capable Dman or on Stamkos even. His play as the year went on got worse so him playing a ton of minutes isn't necessarily a good thing.

edit: obvi in reference to DenverBoone

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Every defender makes mistakes. The mistakes Carle makes are the sort I would make if I were put on NHL ice, including the random falling down at the worst moments. Overall he may not be as bad as we're saying, but man some of them are just facepalm inducing which just heightens the criticism.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The main thing that annoys me with Carle is not even his defensive gaffes but at the blueline, he is a blackhole that can suck all the momentum as soon as he touches the puck. No shot, no vision, no smarts. It's pretty frustrating when most of the teammates he was on the ice with were "cerebral" players

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So... with Sweenygeddon in full swing in Boston... and they do need a defenseman now....

200_s.gif

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Yotes/whoever wont just take Carle from us without us having to retain atleast a part of his salary.

But keeping him for this season is the most logical thing to do. His trade value after these POs is most likely at an all time low, so if he plays decently this season we could get something solid from him. If not there's one less year we have to eat in case of retaining.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Arizona aside who else is looking to reach the cap floor and might be interested in a serviceable #4-6 making too much?

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
What are the terms of his NTC?

Arguments could be made that Carle would fit in or improve 2/3rds of the defenses across the league. Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Buffalo, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, New Jersey, NYI, NYR, Ottawa, Philadelphia, San Jose, St. Louis, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington, and Winnipeg. Half of them would want to send back a worse defenseman or other equally bad contract, but, all have varying degrees of need for a veteran LD heading in to free agency.

I don't think Carle straight up returns anything of value. At best, Yzerman can convert Carle's contract into something that clears sooner. At worst, it costs significant draft picks or minor league talent to move Carle for irrelevant returns. Combining the negative trade value with the fact that Carle still financially fits on the Lightning for at least one more year...

...I don't believe Yzerman will force a Carle trade this offseason.

Tie this scapegoat back to the whipping post, he's going nowhere until we've bled him dry.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Carle has a limited NTC, I cant provide the link seeing I'm on my phone but you'll find it on the fourth period website. SFY has the possibility to trade Carle to several teams with only a limited NTC, I personally don't see him being moved in the offseason though.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
There are two kinds of limited NTC's. Either he submits a list of teams he will accept a trade to OR he submits a list of teams he will not go to. I think the lists are generally capped at 6-8 teams. Hopefully his clause is teams he won't go to, more teams to move him to in that case.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's gotta happen man. Everyone's getting bought out. Richards, Boyes, Semin.. these are every day NHL names over here. No one would bat an eye at Carle getting released. All the talent in the world but the dude can't make it fit with the Lightning at all.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I can see him getting moved after the initial rush of free agency. Teams who missed out on players will still be looking to add something to their roster.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can see him getting moved after the initial rush of free agency. Teams who missed out on players will still be looking to add something to their roster.

Carle's reputation with scouts/GM can't be much good after his big stage performance in these playoffs. If his NTC really is limited, I think we have some hope if we want to take back a bad contract. But maybe sheltering Matt Carle is better than sheltering someone else. The devil you know, and all that.

I'm guessing the buy out option gets easier every year (I'm not very good with buyout math, so someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong). Maybe the plan is to go that route down the line, but we're not ready to swallow an empty cap hit just yet. And it's not like there are a ton of other players we'd rather spend Carle's money on at the moment.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Our D is so improved that it makes Carle look like a bottom pairing at best. He is still good but losing ground with younger guys knocking on the door. The six year contract we signed him to in 2012 looks like an overpay today but at the time it was the best Steve could do and we were kind of desperate having lost Ohlund. Problem is we have three years left on his contract and he will be hard to move. I guess we will keep him at least one more year.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Just wanted to note that there are 3 players with 20 and up games in the entire NHL without a single point.

Jon Merrill - New Jersey Devils ($840,000)

Nate Guenin - Colorado Avalanche ($800,000)

Matthew Carle - Tampa Bay Lightning ($5,500,000)

How the hell do we get rid of this guy?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Just wanted to note that there are 3 players with 20 and up games in the entire NHL without a single point.

Jon Merrill - New Jersey Devils ($840,000)

Nate Guenin - Colorado Avalanche ($800,000)

Matthew Carle - Tampa Bay Lightning ($5,500,000)

How the hell do we get rid of this guy?
Package him with stamkos make that a requirement for a team wanting stamkos!!! Carle and stamkos are good friends I could see Matt going with Steven to Toronto.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We probably have to package him with Stamkos. A lot of teams will want Stamkos so we'll force them to take Carle with them. Muahahahahahaha

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If you're gonna buy him out, you may as well keep him. Dead cap space. At least we'd get SOMETHING out of paying for nothing.

His buyout is a lot less deadcap hit if we wait till the summer of 2017 to buy him out! Seems ideal when we have to pay hedman, Johnson, palat and bishop there next deals.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Package him with stamkos make that a requirement for a team wanting stamkos!!! Carle and stamkos are good friends I could see Matt going with Steven to Toronto.

They are?

Unfortunately, I don't think we can get rid of this guy. The contract is horrible for what he brings. No sane GM would take it on.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sadly, if we lose Stamkos, it'll take the pressure off Yzerman to move Carle. So we might end up stuck with him awhile longer.

Last night he played < 8 minutes though. ... Just sayin.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
We gave up a 1st, 3rd and Gudas for Coburn at the trade deadline last year. I wonder if there will be a desperate team that wouldn't have to give up anything but assume 2 more years of his contract? I would be happy retaining 1M per year for 2 years left on his deal after this year. It still would be better than buying it out. We are loaded with LHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad