Matt Carle

JedYzerman

Jan 8, 2011
Cocoa Beach, FL
Think he'd waive to go there?

I think he'd waive to go anywhere if we told him he would just be riding the bench for the most part. Hockey players want to play above all other things. If the Yotes promised him 2nd pairing or something maybe he'd go. It would be great for us since we do not have any buyouts left.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Firstly Carle has a limited no-trade clause, meaning there are only a short list of teams where SFY can't send him to, otherwise it won't be up to Carle to decide whether he'll be traded or not.

Secondly, I'm not sure Carle would prefer a bigger role on another, weaker team but it's definitely a part of the equation. Carle is very likely to only play 3rd pairing minutes next season, maybe less depending on NN and SK's development. So, even if Nesterov doesn't pass him on the depth charts for some reason next season, Koekkoek will do it in 2 years from now.

In short, Carle has no long-term future in Tampa, he's gone within one calendar year, it's just a question of when.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
do you keep him one more year and hope for a bounce back season? then next summer you can deal him. if not then buy him out!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
this contact was the worst contract yzerman ever signed! I knew paying matt carle 33 million for 6 years was going to come back and bite us. stevie needs to trade this guy or buy him out.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Not his fault. It's what happens when previous draft picks bust and you're forced to pay a UFA. After the money Suter got from Minnesota everyone was getting overpaid that summer.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Not his fault. It's what happens when previous draft picks bust and you're forced to pay a UFA. After the money Suter got from Minnesota everyone was getting overpaid that summer.

ya that was the last summer before the new cba started

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
this contact was the worst contract yzerman ever signed! I knew paying matt carle 33 million for 6 years was going to come back and bite us. stevie needs to trade this guy or buy him out.

We needed Carle badly when he signed and he made our defense much better his first two years. Our defense was Hedman and garbage, we needed NHL quality players. We had nothing in the system so he knew it would be several years before he could draft and develop any defenders.

What happened was we got really good young forwards on cheap contracts who stepped up so we didn't need to dive into free agency up front. He spent more money on defense and was able to get better players for less.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The more I think about it, the more I think it might be smarter to hang onto Carle for one more year. Then we can deal him when the cap trouble starts. Hopefully he'll have something resembling value by then.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The more I think about it, the more I think it might be smarter to hang onto Carle for one more year. Then we can deal him when the cap trouble starts. Hopefully he'll have something resembling value by then.

I don't think so, he was in the most minimal role this year and still looked like garbage, he also didn't get PP time to inflate his stats like other years and that's not going to change next season.

I'd rather see him dealt asap so we don't risk that contract if no one takes him next year. No point wasting more ice time on Carle, I'd rather see developmental time for any of our young defenseman, if they don't look ready by playoffs, then pick up a depth defender at the deadline.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

His value is low now. Waiting to trade him when we HAVE to trade him lowers his value even more.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
His value is low now. Waiting to trade him when we HAVE to trade him lowers his value even more.

Keeping him another year allows Koekkoek to stay in Syracuse and forces Nesterov to beat him out rather then be given a spot. If he does rebound his value improves because of that as well as only having two years left.

I can also see us keeping him and trading him with retention next year. We'll know what Stamkos will have for a caphit and hopefully Kucherov too so we can retain and be ok. We could also buy him out after next year so we are on the hook for 4 years and not 6 if we did it now. It's unlikely because two years of the buyout will have high cap hits which will hurt.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Some of the growing ill will towards Carle can be attributed to recency bias; his performance in the playoffs

No, he's made blunders all season, I can't recall a single stretch of the season where people were pleased with Carle's play. Those numbers they posted are more of a testament to how good Stralman and Garrison were this season.

Keep him or not, I don't think there's a way Yzerman isn't going to be eating part of that contract for years to come.

TheTriplets

May 18, 2015
No, he's made blunders all season, I can't recall a single stretch of the season where people were pleased with Carle's play. Those numbers they posted are more of a testament to how good Stralman and Garrison were this season.

Keep him or not, I don't think there's a way Yzerman isn't going to be eating part of that contract for years to come.

That's a testament of how well Carle does as the "2nd guy" on a pairing, rather than having to carry Sustr around.
If you know about this problem, why don't you solve it? ("you" being Cooper in this case)
Personally, I was fine with Carle whenever he didn't play with 62. Sure, he commits some turnovers, but so do others. In the playoffs, Carle had 16 turnovers, Coburn had 19. So that really can't be the point.

"He complemented Stralman, Garrison, and Barberio well. TB got murdered in chances/shots/goals when he was asked to carry Sustr." (Kyle Alexander)
and he's correct there. That's what both eyetest + stats tell.

IMO, keep him this year (simpley because we don't have any problems with the cap this year), but get rid of him next summer. Not because he is super bad, but because he's one of the more expendable guys while having one of the biggest cap hits. Don't think we'll have to retain. We won't get an overly great return, but maybe ARZ is interested in Carle. 2 more years, they don't care about the cap (rather trying to reach the floor, where Carle helps) and he can mentor the their yound D corps.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
PK was awful in the playoffs this year. Why do people still want to get rid of Stamkos?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad