Matt Carle

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How many of you guys can stand to watch this guy play here for 6 more years? He's been down right atrocious with and without the puck this year.

If we could move him for a bag of pucks I'd take the deal and run, since we cant, is there any sort of deal that could take him off our hands? Does he have a NTC/NMC?

Anyway we could get J-bow for Carle without adding to much?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Just like most of our players he's been struggling lately. At the beginning of the season after the first couple of games I thought he wasn't flashy but he gets the job done. His shot is soft as **** though.

I also think using him on the left side on the PP is a mistake. Last night he was on the right and looked a lot better.

As for a NMC/NTC:
KNOWN CLAUSES (note: if player has been traded, clauses may no longer apply): Modified NTC
http://www.capgeek.com/player/750

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Carle is frustrating. He's REALLY frustrating at $5.5m, and even moreso when he's paired with Eric "who put concrete in my skates?" Brewer. The turnovers are constant, and a lot of his issues seem like they are easily fixed by not playing lazy.

As far as NTC/NMC, I don't know of any, and couldn't find it in the articles when he was signed as a FA from philly. Edit: Good find LightningStikes. I'm wrong.

Would a move to Ottawa make sense b/c of the Karlsson injury? Do they have cap space/the ability to shift things around for a guy like him? I'm not sure moving him is the answer, but the guy has to do something different, and soon. Also, he could stand to take shooting lessons from Salo.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
With that contract we are most likely stuck with him for at least 4 more years. The sad thing is even with how bad he's been he's still our third best defenseman, that's how bad our D has been.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Why hasn't any of the coaches or trainers have him do nothing but wrist workouts? Between the flaccid shot and limp wristed giveaways on trying to receive a pass, someone has to say something.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
With that contract we are most likely stuck with him for at least 4 more years. The sad thing is even with how bad he's been he's still our third best defenseman, that's how bad our D has been.

Hedman, Salo, Aulie and Gudas (I know it's a small sample size, but I liked what I saw) have all been better than him. I would argue that Brewer and Lee have been slightly better at times too. They at least play the body sometimes and don't have the muscle structure of wet linguine. I would personally say that Carle has been our WORST defenseman this year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Why hasn't any of the coaches or trainers have him do nothing but wrist workouts? Between the flaccid shot and limp wristed giveaways on trying to receive a pass, someone has to say something.

Apparently wrists aren't really worked on.

Mike Heika wrote a thing on Jagr's training techniques. One of which was using weights on his stick to strengthen his wrists and forearms.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...training-methods-make-mark-on-young-stars.ece

Stars winger Jaromir Jagr just turned 41, but his unique take on training methods is spreading throughout the team. Here are three things he likes to do that teammates have followed:

Weighted stick: Jagr takes a barbell weight and places it on the blade of his stick, then works the stick back and forth to build strength in his wrists and forearms. Player reaction: “My wrists hurt after a minute, so I’m sure it works.” — defenseman Brenden Dillon.

Brendan Dillon is also really good at hockey. I wish TB would have gotten him.

Marek vs. Wyshynski had Heika on about two weeks back where he gave some more details on it.

Last edited:

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Carle has been pretty much the player I expected him to be, which is unfortunate given his ridiculous contract.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Apparently wrists aren't really worked on.

Mike Heika wrote a thing on Jagr's training techniques. One of which was using weights on his stick to strengthen his wrists and forearms.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...training-methods-make-mark-on-young-stars.ece

Brendan Dillon is also really good at hockey. I wish TB would have gotten him.

Marek vs. Wyshynski had Heika on about two weeks back where he gave some more details on it.

This needs to be implemented more. Especially with Carle, most of his turnovers and mistakes come from his noodle wrists. That shot of his looks beer league.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012

Carle is married. For some reason, single guys have much stronger wrists.:sarcasm:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
threaddelivers.jpg

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
"O'reilly for Carle straight up. or even sweeten the deal and give Colorado a 2nd rounder to make sure it gets done.

Then call up Barberio."

my post a few weeks ago from the Ryan Oreilly thread, and have to love the reply I got! ;-)

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
A serviceable 3-4 Dman, but with that contract(LMAO) he is useless and we are probably stuck with him. Although Gomez was able to be moved so there is hope. Never liked him though, I don't see his skills being able to overtake his lack of stature/physicality.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
It's too early to think about buying out Matt Carle. We can use one of the compliance buyouts in the summer following next season, so I think it's almost guaranteed Matt Carle will at least get one more season in a Lightning uniform.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I gave him a few years and defended him for a while before giving up in exasperation.

And yes, his shot is horrific. It's just the worst. It got to the point in Philly where they'd clog the shooting lanes and hope he'd shoot, and nobody had the slightest fear of blocking his shots. It was like watching people intercept a pass, given how much they'd carry it out of the zone afterwards. When he had the puck, nobody was worried about his shot, and it's probably the reason the Flyers produced less offense all year while he was on the ice; he was easy to defend.

Does he still skate straight backwards into the crease, letting opposing players drive in for a better shot? Do opposing players still have no problem dancing around him if he attempts to be aggressive? Does he still get beaten along the boards because he doesn't do anything?

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I actually saw him hit someone last night. You heard right, Matt Carle hit someone, a solid check along the boards!!!!!!

Maybe The Beard had words on the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad