Matt Carle

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Just wanted to note that there are 3 players with 20 and up games in the entire NHL without a single point.

Jon Merrill - New Jersey Devils ($840,000)

Nate Guenin - Colorado Avalanche ($800,000)

Matthew Carle - Tampa Bay Lightning ($5,500,000)

How the hell do we get rid of this guy?

**** me sideways with a chainsaw, that'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. The saddest part is that the goose egg is totally deserved, Carle is dark matter offensively.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Buyout.

He played 8 minutes last night. I wouldn't be shocked if, once the trade deadline has passed, we see him in the pressbox and Slater Koekkoek is our new #6. But only after the TDL. (Or, whenever Yzerman starts panicking about the playoffs.) Same thing we saw with Malone, and, to a lesser extent, Teddy.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'd buy him out for the roster space alone. We're not sticking 5.5m in the pressbox for 82 games next year but he doesn't deserve to be on the ice. And as long as he's on the roster none of the D prospects can get looks.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
It's amazing what teams pay for D at the deadline. If teams think they are 1 D short of a Stanley Cup team, they give away 1st round picks like crazy. If we were only asking for a 7th round pick and would retain 1M, it would be a hit of $4.5 for some team. Stranger things have happened. I would rather retain 1M for the rest of this year, and the next two years than buying out this summer and have a cap hit of 1.8M for 4 years.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'd buy him out for the roster space alone. We're not sticking 5.5m in the pressbox for 82 games next year but he doesn't deserve to be on the ice. And as long as he's on the roster none of the D prospects can get looks.

1.83m for 4 years to not play is what he'd get with a buyout.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's amazing what teams pay for D at the deadline. If teams think they are 1 D short of a Stanley Cup team, they give away 1st round picks like crazy. If we were only asking for a 7th round pick and would retain 1M, it would be a hit of $4.5 for some team. Stranger things have happened. I would rather retain 1M for the rest of this year, and the next two years than buying out this summer and have a cap hit of 1.8M for 4 years.

I think that ship sailed last year. He's now been a healthy scratch and Coop's starting to show our hand with his icetime when he actually is in the game. Which probably means we're desperate for wins. < 8 minutes last night. A team following even the most surface stats is going to back off when they see stuff like that.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
I think that ship sailed last year. He's now been a healthy scratch and Coop's starting to show our hand with his icetime when he actually is in the game. Which probably means we're desperate for wins. < 8 minutes last night. A team following even the most surface stats is going to back off when they see stuff like that.

You are probably right. Even if a playoff team(Ducks, Kings, Stars) had a rash of D injuries and needed an experienced D for the playoffs, the starting point probably would be retaining $2.5M or something like that. Too bad there is tape of Carle playing this year-lol

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You are probably right. Even if a playoff team(Ducks, Kings, Stars) had a rash of D injuries and needed an experienced D for the playoffs, the starting point probably would be retaining $2.5M or something like that. Too bad there is tape of Carle playing this year-lol

Last year's playoffs exposed him badly too. Unless some team out there thinks he'd be a good influence on its young players (and I think he probably was for ours in his first year or two here), then it's probably a buyout or nothing. There's some of the Stamkos cap-space put to good use, I guess.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
The trade ship has sailed, pretty sure he still had some value last deadline but now we would have to pay picks to someone bailing us from him. Kinda like how Yzerman takes the slower approach and just lets things go their way but sometimes u just have to admit your mistakes and move on.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
It may be hard to imagine, but Carle won the Hobey Baker in College. He plays scared and is afraid to make mistakes. He was ruined in San Jose by that idiot coach (can't remember his name) who put him in the pressbox every time he made a mistake.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
This may have been asked already and I may be missing something...

but why don't we just send Carle to the AHL and hope someone claims him?

Well no one would claim him. Like there is literally 0% chance he gets claimed. Beyond that it depends on his NTC. He may have a clause added to prevent being sent down. If not then we could send him down and save 900k off his cap hit. But we'd then have to call someone up to replace him which would be ~700k so the actual savings are only a couple hundred thousand.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
The guy is just so bad. He's not only slow but he's stupid as well. I've only seriously been following the team for the last 3 or so years... can anyone tell me exactly what the thought process was signing him in the first place for so much? I realize he played besides Pronger which obviously covered him and made him look artifically good

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well no one would claim him. Like there is literally 0% chance he gets claimed. Beyond that it depends on his NTC. He may have a clause added to prevent being sent down. If not then we could send him down and save 900k off his cap hit. But we'd then have to call someone up to replace him which would be ~700k so the actual savings are only a couple hundred thousand.

FYI NTC doesn't prevent you from being placed on waivers only a NMC does.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
FYI NTC doesn't prevent you from being placed on waivers only a NMC does.

An NTC by itself doesn't but as I said it depends on his specific clauses

edit- I doubt that even applies though. Has anyone ever posted details of his NTC ? It would be helpful to know if it was an exclusion list vs only able to be traded to X teams.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The guy is just so bad. He's not only slow but he's stupid as well. I've only seriously been following the team for the last 3 or so years... can anyone tell me exactly what the thought process was signing him in the first place for so much? I realize he played besides Pronger which obviously covered him and made him look artifically good

Our defense at the time was far worse than what Carle is even now. He was an improvement and one of the only options available. Prime example of why you don't build with UFAs.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Our defense at the time was far worse than what Carle is even now. He was an improvement and one of the only options available. Prime example of why you don't build with UFAs.

I can see that. I was basically just a box score watcher then and it seemed all our games were 8-9+ goals for both teams. We would only win if we scored a ton. I know our goalie situation was horrible as well

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
What is worse is that even his advanced stats this season don't do him any favor, they are atrocious no matter how slice it. Statistically speaking Carle is one of the worst, if not the worst defense-man in the whole league. The NHL is a cruel world.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
What is worse is that even his advanced stats this season don't do him any favor, they are atrocious no matter how slice it. Statistically speaking Carle is one of the worst, if not the worst defense-man in the whole league. The NHL is a cruel world.

The good news is that Merrill finally got a point(3 in fact) so Carle's only competition in the pointless streak race are Guenin and Marincin and they're still a few games behind.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
An NTC by itself doesn't but as I said it depends on his specific clauses

edit- I doubt that even applies though. Has anyone ever posted details of his NTC ? It would be helpful to know if it was an exclusion list vs only able to be traded to X teams.

There is no specific clause in a NTC that prevents a player from being waived. We can waive him anytime we want, only Stamkos can't be waived as he has a NMC.

He has a limited NTC clause so not sure how many teams he can accept to or if the list expands after each year. Someone else can do that research.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The good news is that Merrill finally got a point(3 in fact) so Carle's only competition in the pointless streak race are Guenin and Marincin and they're still a few games behind.

:laugh: Yeah Carle can't be worse than Nathan Guenin.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a limited NTC means Yzerman has a short list of teams where Carle cannot be traded to. SFY's free to trade him wherever, whenever he wants otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad