Matt Carle

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Carle goes through rough stretches but Cooper clearly doesn't trust Gudas and Sustr enough to give them more minutes. Gudas also struggles when he's forced to play heavy minutes for an extended stretch of games. He's really unmovable with his contract unless we want to give up a high pick or retain salary which we can't do cause we'll be in a cap crunch soon. Just embrace the mediocrity.

Pretty much this unless Sakic or Nill begs us for the D or we give up something we don't want to shed the contract.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There are so many teams having troubles with defense this year, some team might actually take interest in him.

It would be hilarious if Yzerman somehow managed to moved Carle to Edmonton :laugh:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
This thing is when most players feel as if they are struggeling they always try and go to the bottom of why they do and if it’s something about their game that they can change or work harder on but Carle doesn’t seem to do that which is disturbing, I would bench him a couple of games and see if that will shake him up but since he gets paid a lot I don’t know if they will do it, if not I hope that someone, like SFY talks to him and tell him what he needs to improve of before it’s to late and the whole team loses all of the confidence they have in him becuase the way things are now is bad.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Keep in mind:
Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith
Bowness says "in a perfect world" Garrison and Carle play 20 minutes. Garrison played 25 Thursday... Both played more w Hedman out

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Keep in mind:

I mean, clearly that's the case. Carle doesn't look nearly as bad when he's the #3/4 guy, and that's when I'm willing to defend him. My problem is, when your #1 goes down, everyone needs to step up and play their best game every night (or close to it). Stralman has been put in over his head, and has largely looked fantastic. Garrison has been put in positions over his head, and has looked very good. Even Gudas has been playing more than he should and has looked good.

There is one guy on D that's not stepped up.

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
I mean, clearly that's the case. Carle doesn't look nearly as bad when he's the #3/4 guy, and that's when I'm willing to defend him. My problem is, when your #1 goes down, everyone needs to step up and play their best game every night (or close to it). Stralman has been put in over his head, and has largely looked fantastic. Garrison has been put in positions over his head, and has looked very good. Even Gudas has been playing more than he should and has looked good.

There is one guy on D that's not stepped up.

I completely agree with this, but expecting a lot more from him is tough. I would rather keep him and play him less minutes once Hedman comes back than essentially pay someone else to take him off our hands though. Unless we really need the cap space for whatever reason at the deadline (keeping in mind the assets it would cost to get a player like that, and that we should have more due to LTIR anyways), I don't think he moves this season.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Would need to trade for a better defenseman if we deal him, definitely not addition by subtraction.

He's having a rough start to the season.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
we need carle for a cup run is that simple

my only issue is I want him to be more offensive which he is not doing but he blocks his shots he is trying out there has bad games just like always

he is not a 1-2 guy is just that simple never has been never will be:)

3-4 hoping personally see more and more growth with sustr and garrison myself and carle winds up 5-6 at some point than he is a great guy keep him at 18 lol

doesnt take much to be a little off in this game and look bad honestly

carle goes games you dont notice him that is when he is good my problem is want him more offense which not seeing really this year at all to me at least.

yet hopefully hedmonster comes back and things tighten up and work out:)

all of our guys this year have had bad games though so im not down on carle am disappointed but know he is out of his element for sure and he is trying and still blocking those shots and that is important wish some of the others would become better at that:)

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Cooper had Carle/Sustr playing third pair minutes when Hedman was out. Garri/Gudas played second pair minutes according to 5v5 TOI. So Carle went from playing third pair to first. Playing over his head right now ... but he'll be fine once Headmonster comes back. That contract tho'...if he could QB the PP or fight ... if he gets 35+ pts back there I'd be more comfortable with it.

BrewBot13

Nov 23, 2014
Lakeland Florida
great on the shot blocking , rough start to this season out of 22 games i think he's a bit behind usual. I prefer Brewer at this point enough of the scratching let the ole man play.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Lost in all the ragging Carle gets is the fact that his on-results have only stunk with three players -- Eric Brewer, Radko Gudas and Andrej Sustr -- the past couple seasons.

As I've argued here before, he's a complimentary defender with little flash or dash who's been tasked with carrying a pairing for the better part of his tenure here and it leads to some cringe-worthy play that obscures the many effective shifts he gives over the course of a game or season. He doesn't have enough splash plays to counteract the effect of visceral reactions many have to the flagrant turnovers he does commit.

Is he worth the contract he's got? For his skill-set and the role he plays, that's a clear no and I get the sentiment, especially now that there are young, cheap rearguards coming up, that his cap allotment would best be reallocated. But the criticism the guy gets reaches irrational overdrive. If Cooper had skated Carle with Stralman -- like he did when Hedman was injured -- instead of Sustr more regularly, particularly in the playoffs, there's certainly far fewer "dumpster fires" to harp about.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Lost in all the ragging Carle gets is the fact that his on-results have only stunk with three players -- Eric Brewer, Radko Gudas and Andrej Sustr -- the past couple seasons.

As I've argued here before, he's a complimentary defender with little flash or dash who's been tasked with carrying a pairing for the better part of his tenure here and it leads to some cringe-worthy play that obscures the many effective shifts he gives over the course of a game or season. He doesn't have enough splash plays to counteract the effect of visceral reactions many have to the flagrant turnovers he does commit.

Is he worth the contract he's got? For his skill-set and the role he plays, that's a clear no and I get the sentiment, especially now that there are young, cheap rearguards coming up, that his cap allotment would best be reallocated. But the criticism the guy gets reaches irrational overdrive. If Cooper had skated Carle with Stralman -- like he did when Hedman was injured -- instead of Sustr more regularly, particularly in the playoffs, there's certainly far fewer "dumpster fires" to harp about.

i dont think it would have been much of a difference in playoffs if carle played with superman he was flat out bad in the playoffs after returning from injury i am not sure anyone could carry him he was brutal how many times did he do something good??

we can all talk about the bad cause more often then not he looked like a rookie out there sure some of that is on partners but he was just bad no confidence whatsoever was scary bad

the contract is too high but even at 3 million i doubt id keep him at this point once you lose confidence in your game at a certain age you falter usually and I see him becoming worse

my take is we needed him if read the posts for the playoffs needed the carle we had seen the year before not even last year which was all around bad before the injury

we didnt get that guy for the playoffs im still not sure what we got but it was ugly i dont want him at 3 million this year and going into the playoffs if read my stance i was ok moving forward with him now??

i want him gone hes lost it whatever it he had and at that age and the pieces we have i see easy replacements cheaper so time to move on

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
i dont think it would have been much of a difference in playoffs if carle played with superman he was flat out bad in the playoffs after returning from injury i am not sure anyone could carry him he was brutal how many times did he do something good??

we can all talk about the bad cause more often then not he looked like a rookie out there sure some of that is on partners but he was just bad no confidence whatsoever was scary bad

the contract is too high but even at 3 million i doubt id keep him at this point once you lose confidence in your game at a certain age you falter usually and I see him becoming worse

my take is we needed him if read the posts for the playoffs needed the carle we had seen the year before not even last year which was all around bad before the injury

we didnt get that guy for the playoffs im still not sure what we got but it was ugly i dont want him at 3 million this year and going into the playoffs if read my stance i was ok moving forward with him now??

i want him gone hes lost it whatever it he had and at that age and the pieces we have i see easy replacements cheaper so time to move on

You nailed it Robert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad