Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He was overcomplicating his own game. Pushing when he didn't need to, being passive when he should have been forceful, showing evident frustration when things weren't going his way.

All of these things seem to have been fixed, whether that is his own maturity, his surrounding cast or a bit of both.

They were fair criticisms at the time. Anyone who hated him and wanted to be traded was out to lunch.

He's on a different level now and is the straw that stirs the drink. Fantastic hockey player and thankful he landed with the Isles and can't wait to watch him for years to come.
Not to mention the bad penalties he took. That's been cleaned up lately too.

Although I still truly believe that as Brock Nelson goes, so go the Islanders.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Not to mention the bad penalties he took. That's been cleaned up lately too.

Although I still truly believe that as Brock Nelson goes, so go the Islanders.

That's extremely fair. I guess I mean that Barzal is the puck transporter, the guy who can change some momentum through an odd man rush, a seeing eye pass, draws a ton of penalties...that type of thing.

Not necessarily from a "if he plays well, the team wins" as much as Brock.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That's extremely fair. I guess I mean that Barzal is the puck transporter, the guy who can change some momentum through an odd man rush, a seeing eye pass, draws a ton of penalties...that type of thing.

Not necessarily from a "if he plays well, the team wins" as much as Brock.
He's been doing a lot more than that the odd break or the occasional chip in lately. He's been consistently controlling the game. Brock Nelson was like -12 a week ago, and he's now -3. It's easier when he doesn't have to chase down the puck.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Or maybe just maybe Barzal is playing in an uptempo system which suits his game more. Some of the comments here on Barzal are some of the most dumbest takes I’ve ever seen. Or some really good trolling not sure.
To add even more: Did he ever bitch about playing in a stifling defensive structure, or did he ever bitch with zero opportunities to score empty net cheap points? Only thing he did was shut up and play for the team. Shaping up to be a fun ride watching him in Blue Orange and white for the next 7/12 seasons

Reactions: Islesfan22

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Barzal is looking good for the first time in years, and the roster that couldn't string together two consecutive good passes is all of a sudden moving the puck effectively. What changed? :huh:

:sarcasm:

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Barzal is looking good for the first time in years, and the roster that couldn't string together two consecutive good passes is all of a sudden moving the puck effectively. What changed?
Could be the line shuffling gave that line a spark. It's possible it lasts for a few more games, then goes back to status quo. I think you're suggesting the coaching change, but the evidence for that hasn't had a chance to really coalesce yet.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Could be the line shuffling gave that line a spark. It's possible it lasts for a few more games, then goes back to status quo. I think you're suggesting the coaching change, but the evidence for that hasn't had a chance to really coalesce yet.
When speaking about the roster overall and passing, I would definitely say it was coaching change. Breakouts is one of the things that Roy has emphasized as needing improvement. That is specifically where they have improved. Overall passing has improved a result.

As for Barzal and the line specifically… not sure if it’s Roy per se. It’s just as likely that it’s three genuine all-star talents together.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Or maybe just maybe Barzal is playing in an uptempo system which suits his game more. Some of the comments here on Barzal are some of the most dumbest takes I’ve ever seen. Or some really good trolling not sure.
This type of argument only holds up if you're strictly looking at point production and not how he's actually playing the game.

Reactions: MJF

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
To me, Barzal has always been polarizing. One second I am jumping out of my chair excited, and the next, I am holding my head in my hands.

He's always had the skills, but I think his mind game has taken a bit longer to refine.

He is the current give-away leader, so he still needs to work on his 'mind' game. That said, he is going in the right direction, an I am hella excited. Not just for him, but for the team too.

Roy has been a revolution for this team.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The line shuffling definitely helped. And yes, I am suggesting the coaching change - I'm far from an expert on technical stuff, but bigger picture it seems like Trotz/Lambert emphasized a low risk style where they didn't care about possession so much as minimizing high danger chances defensively and maybe forechecking creating turnovers and chances offensively. It seemed like the roster lacked the talent to play with the puck and connect passes, and that may still be true of some guys, but overall it may have just been the style the coaches had them playing for 6 years. Roy seems to want them to retain possession and move up the ice as a unit with the puck. And so far it seems like they're capable of pulling that off. We'll see.

Reactions: Potvottier

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Horvat and Nelson are the two best linemates he’s ever had, and he’s getting opportunities in situations Lambert/Trotz didn’t put him him (for whatever reason).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Horvat and Nelson are the two best linemates he’s ever had, and he’s getting opportunities in situations Lambert/Trotz didn’t put him him (for whatever reason).
You know the reason...to try to keep the scoring spread out.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I personally had no problems with that philosophy, seeing is how we didn't have a very skilled or speedy team. But now I think we have the horses to put together a good top two lines.

I finally feel like our PP is more dangerous, and our PK is better (more aggressive).

I think with Sorokin, as with all goalies, there is kind of a Goldilocks Zone as far as shots on net. 25-30 maybe?

Any goalies out there that are willing to venture into the topic?

Reactions: The Wahligator

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yes, I worded that poorly. I know the reason, I just don't think it's relevant anymore at this point since that coaching "regime" is in the past.

You should want your best players to be on the ice in the most important situations, period.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes, I worded that poorly. I know the reason, I just don't think it's relevant anymore at this point since that coaching "regime" is in the past.

You should want your best players to be on the ice in the most important situations, period.
When the season comes down to our situation of still trying to get in with 3/4 of the season done, I agree.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
To me, Barzal has always been polarizing. One second I am jumping out of my chair excited, and the next, I am holding my head in my hands.

He's always had the skills, but I think his mind game has taken a bit longer to refine.

He is the current give-away leader, so he still needs to work on his 'mind' game. That said, he is going in the right direction, an I am hella excited. Not just for him, but for the team too.

Roy has been a revolution for this team.

No, he's 4th, behind Kucherov, Pasternak and John Carlson.

And just ahead of a lot of the top talents in the league, as the link shows

Puck possessors will always have high numbers. Meanwhile, Kucherov is -31 in he only has 48 takeaways, while Barzal is +4.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think with Sorokin, as with all goalies, there is kind of a Goldilocks Zone as far as shots on net. 25-30 maybe?

Any goalies out there that are willing to venture into the topic?
I'm not a goalie, but it's plainly obvious to me that there's a world of difference to Sorokin between ES & PP shots, and limiting the latter is *the thing* NYI must do. For all he is when stopping what he can see, Sorokin is no Lundqvist or Giguere (at least not yet) when it comes to dealing with shots in traffic.

Generally speaking, teams that are leading win if they keep it close to even on ES SOG's, and don't take more penalties than their opponents. The Islanders biggest problem was failing in both areas.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
No, he's 4th, behind Kucherov, Pasternak and John Carlson.

And just ahead of a lot of the top talents in the league, as the link shows

Puck possessors will always have high numbers. Meanwhile, Kucherov is -31 in he only has 48 takeaways, while Barzal is +4.
puck possessors or lazy back checkers?

I do see that he has been better in the defensive end of the rink, But I think that he can do better. There was a point in one of the most recent games in which he lost the puck (or gave it away?), and worked like a SOB to get it back. When he did, we scored.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYY don't we see him do that more often?

The fact that he is first in takeaways surely proves that he is working, but does he back check as hard as he can? i don't believe so.

He could be superstar level if he can tame his giveaways.

oh and p.s. i find Kucherov frustrating to watch as well. i can handle a lack of skill, but i grit my teeth when i see lack of effort.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad