Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
No, he's 4th, behind Kucherov, Pasternak and John Carlson.

And just ahead of a lot of the top talents in the league, as the link shows

Puck possessors will always have high numbers. Meanwhile, Kucherov is -31 in he only has 48 takeaways, while Barzal is +4.

Same amount of GV as Forsberg, Draisaitl - 2 more than MacK - 3 more than McDavid. I'd say he's doing all right. The nature of a primary puck handler who tries to find passing lanes.

The better stat is tied for #1 in the league with 71 TK alongside Draisaitl

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Same amount of GV as Forsberg, Draisaitl - 2 more than MacK - 3 more than McDavid. I'd say he's doing all right. The nature of a primary puck handler who tries to find passing lanes.

The better stat is tied for #1 in the league with 71 TK alongside Draisaitl

Because of this, Barzal will always have a lot of giveaways. But if the Isles relied on some of their lesser capable puck transporting d-men to carry the puck then they would likely have more…

turnovers as a team

time hemmed in their zone

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Because of this, Barzal will always have a lot of giveaways. But if the Isles relied on some of their lesser capable puck transporting d-men to carry the puck then they would likely have more…

turnovers as a team

time hemmed in their zone

Barzal is playing the best hockey of his career, he doesn't dipsy doodle aimlessly anymore. He is special because of his wiggle, but he plays with purpose and attacks more north nd south now. Horvat has really unlocked his game too, it's a really nice match of skillsets, and Brock has proven to be a very nice 3rd guy on that line. Roy has the entire lineup performing and Sorokin has looked much better.

I know I toot Dobson's horn and for good reason, but Barzal is living up to being the face of the franchise. He's not Steve Yzerman, but Yzerman also started out as an all offense dynamo and turned into a 2-way beast later in his career under another charismatic coach in Bowman. I mean you could consider that it was Trotz who initially reigned in and clashed with Barzal like Bowman did to Yzerman early on, but Roy has really unlocked the next gear in Barzal's game.

If we get into the playoffs then that means the team will be streaking and won themselves in, Barzal will have to have a significant contribution to that happening. He really seems to flourish in the spotlight and has the personality and flash that the NHL loves, ride that wave as long as you can.

Last edited:

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Barzal is playing the best hockey of his career, he doesn't dipsy doodle aimlessly anymore. He is special because of his wiggle, but he plays with purpose and attacks more north nd south now. Horvat has really unlocked his game too, it's a really nice match of skillsets, and Brock has proven to be a very nice 3rd guy on that line. Roy has the entire lineup performing and Sorokin has looked much better.

I know I toot Dobson's horn and for good reason, but Barzal is living up to being the face of the franchise. He's not Steve Yzerman, but Yzerman also started out as an all offense dynamo and turned into a 2-way beast later in his career under another charismatic coach in Bowman. I mean you could consider that it was Trotz who initially reigned in and clashed with Barzal like Bowman did to Yzerman early on, but Roy has really unlocked the next gear in Barzal's game.

If we get into the playoffs then that means the team will be streaking and won themselves in, Barzal will have to have a significant contribution to that happening. He really seems to flourish in the spotlight and has the personality and flash that the NHL loves, ride that wave as long as you can.
Completely agree and any talk of trading Barzal, including mine, should stop.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
He’s saving that for the Flyers in two weeks.

oblige-him-inglorious-basterds.gif

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
puck possessors or lazy back checkers?

I do see that he has been better in the defensive end of the rink, But I think that he can do better. There was a point in one of the most recent games in which he lost the puck (or gave it away?), and worked like a SOB to get it back. When he did, we scored.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYY don't we see him do that more often?

The fact that he is first in takeaways surely proves that he is working, but does he back check as hard as he can? i don't believe so.

He could be superstar level if he can tame his giveaways.

oh and p.s. i find Kucherov frustrating to watch as well. i can handle a lack of skill, but i grit my teeth when i see lack of effort.
I read this 5 times and I think it makes less sense every time.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Can we just show some appreciation for this guy? Pretty much carrying a bad team to the playoffs.

Stepped up a ton this season.
He’s disappeared A LOT this season, which is also why the Isles are fighting to secure a playoff spot vs. comfortably being in one.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
He’s disappeared A LOT this season, which is also why the Isles are fighting to secure a playoff spot vs. comfortably being in one.
Which pretty much sums up why he is so important to this team. Where he goes the team goes. RIght now they are on the cusp of another playoff birth. Since 2/3 into the season we have a coach who is letting Barzal be Barzal and the results speak for themselves. 80 points, who would've thought? (Actually I did) Still thinking about trading the guy? I could never understand the criticism of this guys play. He's a phenomenal player. Yesterday blocking point blank shots head on. The kid's will to win is contagious. The problem was always the coaching and the poor use and understanding of what this guy brings to the table. Can anyone really argue now that when you see Barzal rushing up ice at full bore flanked by a winger and a centerman and a joining D-man that this poses a defensive liability? Really? You put yourself in better defensive position when you play from a good offensive position. Yes the total opposite of what Trotz/Lambert preached but the point is still valid. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense and in this case you have a super talented offensive player like Barzal you play OFFENSE! You don't having him focusing on defense all the time like some automaton. It depends on the players you have in front of you.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Can we just show some appreciation for this guy? Pretty much carrying a bad team to the playoffs.

Stepped up a ton this season.

He's good but he's not carrying the team. Go look at Kucherov's numbers compared to his teammates, that's carrying a team.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
He's good but he's not carrying the team. Go look at Kucherov's numbers compared to his teammates, that's carrying a team.
Kuch has played 307 minutes this season next to Stamkos and Point. And he's played 119 minutes next to Point and Duclair.

Mat Barzal has played 481 minutes next to Horvat and Lee. And then a huge mixed bag for the other games including the likes of Holmstrom, Nelson and even freakin' Cizikas.

The fact that Barzal is going to score over 80 points is saying something real good about his will to produce and win.

Source: moneypuck.com

Reactions: mm11

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Barzy's been great during this stretch, but I don't understand the need to lick his balls.
Because the stretches where he disappears are just glanced over and it goes back to everyone else on the team sucks. Yet, those stretches directly impact the team.

When he has a short stint of playing very well, he’s a Gretzky-Oates-McKinnon-Savard wonderland.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Kuch has played 307 minutes this season next to Stamkos and Point. And he's played 119 minutes next to Point and Duclair.

Mat Barzal has played 481 minutes next to Horvat and Lee. And then a huge mixed bag for the other games including the likes of Holmstrom, Nelson and even freakin' Cizikas.

The fact that Barzal is going to score over 80 points is saying something real good about his will to produce and win.

Source: moneypuck.com
Right, but he's got significantly more points than those guys. Barzal has about ten more points than three players or whatever and he's not a goal scorer. Barzal might finish the season with three different 30 goal scorers on the roster too.

I think he's had a great season for the most part but I don't think he's carried the team. When the team needed to win Horvat was the only one scoring in big moments.

Reactions: Glory Days and MJF

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Does anyone else here think that Tom Brady was overrated. You know he’s all about passing it’s the other players scoring all the touchdowns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad