Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Roy has been playing him 23 mins a night and Barzal has been playing out of his mind. The addition of Horvat and now Roy may have fully unleashed this dude. He was on pace for 90-ish points playing 19 mins a game. Seems like he appreciates the extra ice time and is playing even harder with it. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we'll see an 100 point season from him at some point

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Roy has been playing him 23 mins a night and Barzal has been playing out of his mind. The addition of Horvat and now Roy may have fully unleashed this dude. He was on pace for 90-ish points playing 19 mins a game. Seems like he appreciates the extra ice time and is playing even harder with it. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we'll see an 100 point season from him at some point
Like everyone here I’ve had more than a few occasions of disappointment over the last few years watching Barzal skate around the perimeter and hold onto the puck too long.

With that out-of-the-way, it’s clear that any thought of trading him before he had the right pieces to play would have been remarkably shortsighted. In fact, it would’ve been a disaster. He may still not be the superstar we all hoped we were getting after his first two years but he is a legit, high end talent. The addition of Horvat has brought him to another level and if the isles are lucky enough to get a skilled first line, left wing scoring threat then we can set our sites even higher.

Now if they lose the next game and he skates around the boards like Brian Boitano then this post will magically be deleted.

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Like everyone here I’ve had more than a few occasions of disappointment over the last few years watching Barzal skate around the perimeter and hold onto the puck too long.

With that out-of-the-way, it’s clear that any thought of trading him before he had the right pieces to play would have been remarkably shortsighted. In fact, it would’ve been a disaster. He may still not be the superstar we all hoped we were getting after his first two years but he is a legit, high end talent. The addition of Horvat has brought him to another level and if the isles are lucky enough to get a skilled first line, left wing scoring threat then we can set our sites even higher.

Now if they lose the next game and he skates around the boards like Brian Boitano then this post will magically be deleted.

Without Barzal this team would be unwatchable especially under Lambert.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
He's been one of the players that I have been most disappointed in, but I feel like he's really turned a corner, this year. It's starting to feel like he may become a good value contract. Same with Bo. If they keep producing like they currently are, they will be good pieces to build around.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
He's been one of the players that I have been most disappointed in, but I feel like he's really turned a corner, this year. It's starting to feel like he may become a good value contract. Same with Bo. If they keep producing like they currently are, they will be good pieces to build around.
kid is 26 just hitting his prime, already has NHL hardware, playoff points and playoff series wins to boot as well. Looking forward to his career unfolding. Roy is going to play him, that's for sure

Reactions: Potvottier

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Not sure if this was posted yet.

I’ve been saying for a long time now if Barzal plays in a uptempo system he will be an 80 point player. His skating stickhandling and passing are all at worldclass level. Quite a few detractors here don’t know wtf there tallking about when it comes to Barzal

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve been saying for a long time now if Barzal plays in a uptempo system he will be an 80 point player. His skating stickhandling and passing are all at worldclass level. Quite a few detractors here don’t know wtf there tallking about when it comes to Barzal
10 points in 8 games with Roy. That's an 100+ point pace. 29 shots over 8 games, that's a 300 shot pace. At his career shooting% that's 33 goals. Playing 24 mins a game which would be first among forwards by a large margin. Will probably go down after they stop playing Wahlstrom but still, 1D type shit. 30 goal 100 point playmaking wingers: Marner (11M), Panarin (11.5M), Huberdeau at time of signing (10.5M). Barzal at 9M with the cap going UP

Small sample size but it's been crystal clear how Roy wants to use him. I think we can pencil him for 90+ for the foreseeable future, and all signs point to that being conservative figure

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
10 game sample size with Roy now:

- 5 goals, 8 assists 13 points. 41 goal, 107 point pace
- 3.4 shots a game, 277 shot pace. slightly elevated shooting percentage at 14.7
- playing about 23 MPG. It was 18-19 under Trotz Lambert, so that 25% -ish bump is driving the extra shots... which is driving the extra goals.
- also just feels like he's shooting more.

All this to say, if Roy keeps playing him 22-23 minutes a game (which it seems like Barzal can handle without getting too fatigued), this point pace might not be too far off from the norm. Maybe he ends up more of a 30 goal guy than a 40 goal guy, but the extra minutes would support him becoming an 100 point guy

Reactions: WangMustGo

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
10 game sample size with Roy now:

- 5 goals, 8 assists 13 points. 41 goal, 107 point pace
- 3.4 shots a game, 277 shot pace. slightly elevated shooting percentage at 14.7
- playing about 23 MPG. It was 18-19 under Trotz Lambert, so that 25% -ish bump is driving the extra shots... which is driving the extra goals.
- also just feels like he's shooting more.

All this to say, if Roy keeps playing him 22-23 minutes a game (which it seems like Barzal can handle without getting too fatigued), this point pace might not be too far off from the norm. Maybe he ends up more of a 30 goal guy than a 40 goal guy, but the extra minutes would support him becoming an 100 point guy

And if they get another 1st line winger to play with him and Horvat he will put up even more points. Horvat and Barzal are dragging boat anchor Lee around. God willing this offseason Lou or whoever the GM is at that point can find that 3rd piece to go with Barzal and Horvat. If so I think we will see a 100 point season from Barzal.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
And if they get another 1st line winger to play with him and Horvat he will put up even more points. Horvat and Barzal are dragging boat anchor Lee around. God willing this offseason Lou or whoever the GM is at that point can find that 3rd piece to go with Barzal and Horvat. If so I think we will see a 100 point season from Barzal.
You don't need a first liner, just a finisher. Laine for Lee and Cizikas baby!

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Call me crazy but I think simply putting someone there that can run interference for them should do it. Someone who can skate and retrieve the puck... Honestly, a Beau type would be a huge upgrade there and he can probably be acquired for a 4th. Even Gauthier I think would be great there.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Call me crazy but I think simply putting someone there that can run interference for them should do it. Someone who can skate and retrieve the puck... Honestly, a Beau type would be a huge upgrade there and he can probably be acquired for a 4th. Even Gauthier I think would be great there.

I think it’s gotta be someone more consistent and a bit more skilled than Beau. I don’t think the isles should be buyers, but maybe an offseason addition of Vatrano could be a great fit.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I've noticed that the Barzal complaining is quieted a bunch. The fact that there ever was any is terrible.

Because he kept doing stupid things that we holding him back from being a top 25ish player in the league.

He's stopped doing stupid things and has even enhanced his good things.

Why is this hard to understand?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Because he kept doing stupid things that we holding him back from being a top 25ish player in the league.

It took a bit of self discipline on Barzal’s part.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island

Feel like this is overcomplicating things a bit. He has never been put in a better position to succeed as an all around player than right now and it shows.

Reactions: Potvottier

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Maybe for the first time he has line mates he can trust and doesn’t have to try and do it all himself.

He should never try to do it all by himself no matter who his line mates are, that's always been my gripe. That's not how I think hockey should be played.

Moving the puck to someone else allows him to be more effective because of his speed. He's shooting more and driving to the net more as well. The best players are able to elevate their line mates no matter who they are and Barzal never really did that, he needed help and has gotten it with Horvat.

I have no issues with him finding chemistry or needing another player to help do the heavy lifting, but I wish people would stop pretending he's something he's not. The defensive emphasis that was put on him has also helped develop him into a more well-rounded player today than what he would've been had he just roamed around the ice doing whatever he wanted.

He's having a great year, he's doing the things I've wanted to see from him for a long time, so I have no issues right now.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Feel like this is overcomplicating things a bit. He has never been put in a better position to succeed as an all around player than right now and it shows.

He was overcomplicating his own game. Pushing when he didn't need to, being passive when he should have been forceful, showing evident frustration when things weren't going his way.

All of these things seem to have been fixed, whether that is his own maturity, his surrounding cast or a bit of both.

They were fair criticisms at the time. Anyone who hated him and wanted to be traded was out to lunch.

He's on a different level now and is the straw that stirs the drink. Fantastic hockey player and thankful he landed with the Isles and can't wait to watch him for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad