Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I recall poor wood and it going over the net. I could be wrong. But either way, a fanned shot is an attempted shot.

His problem is when he completely doesn’t consider shooting. Then he’s more predictable.
I think if lane would take him off the wall on the PP and put him in middle it would open better shots for him

On the wall he's kinda trapped and even my kid (his 2nd biggest fan right behind mm11) notes all he gets from there are bad angle attempts

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think if lane would take him off the wall on the PP and put him in middle it would open better shots for him

On the wall he's kinda trapped and even my kid (his 2nd biggest fan right behind mm11) notes all he gets from there are bad angle attempts
That would get him more opportunities for shots, provided someone can get him service there. But honestly is he even the best option for the team at that spot?

I don’t think the purpose should be to improve Barzal’s stats in-of-itself.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
That would get him more opportunities for shots, provided someone can get him service there. But honestly is he even the best option for the team at that spot?

good point, it's not about his personal stats - but the lack of movement on the PP really hurts them. Everything is easy to defend and block shots, movement opens seems/lanes and they have shooters but no quick-release shooters unfortunately. I guess Wahlstrom is the best of the bunch but he's still young, very inconsistent.

Nelson has a great shot, after 23 minutes to release it. Beau is frustrating, y'all know I prefer a Bossy-type so I'll keep looking.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
PK he’s 1 assist from Leading the league and yet plays with a non scoring rookie ( Holstrom ) a 12 per year scoring 22 yr old Wally or a 13 per year Bailey who played over a decade with Taveres or LEO KOMAROV or a 27 yr old Russian never was or Beau who scored 20 once or
LEE who I love but one fast one slowest in league.
Or 22 per year Palmieri or 49 year old Parise

Last 2 games Isles 2 goals he has 1 goal unassisted and 1 primary assist.

A post and 3 passes to shooters who hit the post ( Mayfield Lee Holstrom )
Only hope is to play Barzal, Lee and Nelson together regularly as the only scoring line and hope the other bags of shit on the other lines don't lose the game with bad defense. This is a bubble team

Reactions: cj2112

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
PK he’s 1 assist from Leading the league and yet plays with a non scoring rookie ( Holstrom ) a 12 per year scoring 22 yr old Wally or a 13 per year Bailey who played over a decade with Taveres or LEO KOMAROV or a 27 yr old Russian never was or Beau who scored 20 once or
LEE who I love but one fast one slowest in league.
Or 22 per year Palmieri or 49 year old Parise

Last 2 games Isles 2 goals he has 1 goal unassisted and 1 primary assist.

A post and 3 passes to shooters who hit the post ( Mayfield Lee Holstrom )

I don't think you understand the point and it's not worth repeating myself.

Get Barzal a winger!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

At worst, higher quality shots should lead to tip ins, rebounds, redirects, sustained pressure and faceoffs. I'd give it a try in the interest of generating more scoring chances

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
At worst, higher quality shots should lead to tip ins, rebounds, redirects, sustained pressure and faceoffs. I'd give it a try in the interest of generating more scoring chances
I agree with the first sentence. It’s just the second sentence… putting Barzal in that spot over Pageau to me doesn’t really improve the Isles.

Personally I think Pageau is better there anyway. as aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Lol… apparently I woke up this morning to find my phone on the sofa and that I typed the above after last night’s game. I watched it on delay. The repeating “a” is when I fell asleep for about two hours before actually getting up and making it to bed.

Anyway, I’m just not sure that Barzal being in that spot is the best for the team. It would give him more goal opportunities from him personally. But it doesn’t mean it will improve the overall opportunities or the team.

But it would be interesting if they tried it.

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019
I agree with the first sentence. It’s just the second sentence… putting Barzal in that spot over Pageau to me doesn’t really improve the Isles.

Lol… apparently I woke up this morning to find my phone on the sofa and that I typed the above after last night’s game. I watched it on delay. The repeating “a” is when I fell asleep for about two hours before actually getting up and making it to bed.

Anyway, I’m just not sure that Barzal being in that spot is the best for the team. It would give him more goal opportunities from him personally. But it doesn’t mean it will improve the overall opportunities or the team.

I've always felt Barzal is more ideal as a second line center. He's an ok 1st liner center but would be an incredible second liner.

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I've always felt Barzal is more ideal as a second line center. He's an ok 1st liner center but would be an incredible second liner.
I never really cared about line designation. For the longest time the Cizikas line was the “best fourth line in hockey” when they really were a third line with their usage.

Every recent Stanley Cup contender has multiple forwards at PPG and making 8-10m. So I guess I don’t get the negativity about getting another talented player for forward. Who cares about the impact on Barzal? Getting a more talented player in-of-itself makes this team better.

People on this board routinely bring up that Barzal’s rookie year was heavily influenced by Tavares' sheltering. Well doesn’t that provide evidence that another all-star level player allows Barzal to gain more space and coverage benefits?

Call Barzal a first or second liner… he is what he is. Right now he is a PPG player with a career average of 70-75 points per 82 game average in a predominantly defensive team structure.

A better winger or center likely improves those point totals moderately. But improving Barzal’s stats is inconsequential as much as improving the Isles attack by diversifying with higher skill level.

Last edited:

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
good point, it's not about his personal stats - but the lack of movement on the PP really hurts them. Everything is easy to defend and block shots, movement opens seems/lanes and they have shooters but no quick-release shooters unfortunately. I guess Wahlstrom is the best of the bunch but he's still young, very inconsistent.

Nelson has a great shot, after 23 minutes to release it. Beau is frustrating, y'all know I prefer a Bossy-type so I'll keep looking.
Anyone complaining about Nelson’s shot should take another few years anyway from this board.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

Can't make the PP any worse right?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just get Mitch Marner here to play with Barzal and be done with it. I don’t see what the problem is.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
He actually had much better goal scoring seasons in his 3rd and 4th NHL seasons. But he's never been able to match the assists total he got in his rookie year. Though he's well on his way this year. In any case, not sure why we should dismiss his rookie season. It's far from an anomaly.
Agree. How many rooks this century potted 85 points? Not to mention at the ripe old age of 20. Name them too. I'll wait to see if anyone answers. Btw by mid season barzal was sheltering snake boy.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Anyone complaining about Nelson’s shot should take another few years anyway from this board.
confused warrior. Release And shot aren't the same thing. Nelson has incredibly slow release, regardless of shot speed and accuracy. That's the difference.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Agree. How many rooks this century potted 85 points? Not to mention at the ripe old age of 20. Name them too. I'll wait to see if anyone answers. Btw by mid season barzal was sheltering snake boy.

Ovechkin Crosby Malkin Barzal

Matty B and Malkin tied for 18/19 for all time points by a rookie. All time as in ever

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Anything for you double m!

Now something for me....the usual Saturday trip to the Cafe for an Americano and cannoli. I'll hoist a cheers to you buddy!
Guess you finished mowing the leaves eh?

Ovechkin Crosby Malkin Barzal

Matty B and Malkin tied for 18/19 for all time points by a rookie. All time as in ever
Interesting. As in 3 hall of famers and our own capades. By the way barzal beat these guys more than a few times in the post season already. All by the age 25.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Guess you finished mowing the leaves eh?

Interesting. As in 3 hall of famers and our own capades. By the way barzal beat these guys more than a few times in the post season already. All by the age 25.
Got the leaves yesterday. Got outside Christmas lights earlier. Wife laid them out. I'm in charge of figuring out to to get them lit without arson type carnage

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00