Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Mathew will always be an elite distributor first. Absolutely, all I ever wanted from him is to be a little more selfish. I think Barry Trotz is telling him to shoot more too. This will open up passing lanes when the D know he is not going to dish off 90% of the time. Been following him since his Seattle days, and Mathew has a good underrated shot. He should use it. It is a weapon. But yes, I see your point his strength is still being an elite playmaker. Let's not change this. But a 25 - 30 goal scorer he certainly has this potential if he shoots more.

Kid scored 22 as a 20 year old rookie center in the NHL....No question he can pot 25 plus in the good years. Can't wait until he finds magic with a sniper

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
what's the latest on contract talks, shelved until the offseason?

or ongoing??

I'd like to see them get something done soon. Hoping Matt will be available for some Team Canada duty in May if available and under contract.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
what's the latest on contract talks, shelved until the offseason?

or ongoing??

I'd like to see them get something done soon. Hoping Matt will be available for some Team Canada duty in May if available and under contract.

At this point, we know nothing. Also, cute, but we're kinda hoping Mat won't be available in May :D

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
At this point, we know nothing. Also, cute, but we're kinda hoping Mat won't be available in May :D

Hey, I always prefer it if my Canadian stars are leading their respective teams to Stanley Cup glory....but if that's not possible, then I like them playing somewhere for a championship.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Hey, I always prefer it if my Canadian stars are leading their respective teams to Stanley Cup glory....but if that's not possible, then I like them playing somewhere for a championship.

Barry's loyalty is to the crest, and he will will do what's right for the team. As of now, Matt is a big part of this team, and we plan on being there at the end, fighting for a PO spot.

He's staying here. And the Isles are going to surprise, in case you didn't hear.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I heard with Hischier's signing and other RFA's following in line with more reasonable deals post the Marner mistake overpayment that Barzal may be signed in season. It was media speculation but it perked my ears up!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Guess who is leading the Isles in the important GA 60 5v5 stat ? Not Barzal. But he is 2nd to Cal Clutterbuck.

0.76 GA60

Super impressed he has achieved this. Not easy for a talented skilled player to not want to focus on scoring 100% of the time. Barzal is well on his way to being a 200 ft player, well actually he was his rookie year, he was the Isles best metrics 5v5 Center, yes better than Traitor, but had a small set back last year. But under Trotz this year, he has taken a step fwd, this is encouraging.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
Guess who is leading the Isles in the important GA 60 5v5 stat ? Not Barzal. But he is 2nd to Cal Clutterbuck.

0.76 GA60

Super impressed he has achieved this. Not easy for a talented skilled player to not want to focus on scoring 100% of the time. Barzal is well on his way to being a 200 ft player, well actually he was his rookie year, he was the Isles best metrics 5v5 Center, yes better than Traitor, but had a small set back last year. But under Trotz this year, he has taken a step fwd, this is encouraging.

Also has the best +/- on the team...not that it always means much but his 2 way game is really developing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Also has the best +/- on the team...not that it always means much but his 2 way game is really developing.
This is the encouraging part. He still overhandles the puck a little too much, he is supremely confident when he has the puck on his stick. Most elite talents are. I wouldn't change him, its his strength, This is why the GA60 stat is so impressive. He has bought into Trotz. It may have took him a year to figure it out but 7 pts given the context of defensive commitment to me is more impressive than players just padding stats without playing defence. We know there are teams out there that score a lot but they also give up a lot of goals. This is why I like it when Lou says he looks for players that are net positives, not just stats padders.

Reactions: mm11 and sebsisles

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sign this guy. I have confidence he, his agent and Lou will find middle ground on a fair contract. Really has become a complete player. Even his interviews are elite he has taken a step fwd I notice.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal is having quietly a hell of a year. His best thus far IMO. His 85 pts rookie year may have been flashier, but his 2 way elite game this year has been better. The kid has taken the steps fwd to be a complete 2 way #1C. I still think he can get better.

Reactions: dood

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Barzal is having quietly a hell of a year. His best thus far IMO. His 85 pts rookie year may have been flashier, but his 2 way elite game this year has been better. The kid has taken the steps fwd to be a complete 2 way #1C. I still think he can get better.

He's not "elite" 2-way yet, but he's improved in terms of positioning and getting his stick in lanes. He still has a way to go defensively, which includes faceoffs, but he'll get there.

If his wingers would finish he'd have 30+ points.

Reactions: Poulin 0n My St1ck

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's not "elite" 2-way yet, but he's improved in terms of positioning and getting his stick in lanes. He still has a way to go defensively, which includes faceoffs, but he'll get there.

If his wingers would finish he'd have 30+ points.
I think there is a case to be made he is playing at an elite 2 way level this year. His wingers have not been lights out 5 v 5 this year, so the metrics really stand out. This is all due to Barzal.

Producing 5 v 5 while being stingy on defence 5 v 5.
100 TOI min.
GF60 3.30 Tops on the Isles
GA60 1.65 5th on the Isles
Positive differential of +1.65

Just for example when you look at Bergeron who is regarded as probably the best 2 way fwd in hockey.
100 TOI min
GF60 4.89
GA60 3.03
Positive differential of + 1.86

Barzal certainly has the metrics to support has been an elite 2 way fwd at least 5 v 5 this year.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think there is a case to be made he is playing at an elite 2 way level this year. His wingers have not been lights out 5 v 5 this year, so the metrics really stand out. This is all due to Barzal.

Barzal certainly has the metrics to support has been an elite 2 way fwd at least 5 v 5 this year.

This is why one shouldn't trust analytics alone without watching. Barzal doesn't play center in the defensive zone the vast majority of the time. So, his wingers have done more of the heavy lifting defensively. Bergeron, of course, does.

It's more accurate to call him an elite 2-way winger than an elite 2-way center, but neither is accurate as he plays a hybrid role. He's far more like Patrick Kane than Patrice Bergeron.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is why one shouldn't trust analytics alone without watching. Barzal doesn't play center in the defensive zone the vast majority of the time. So, his wingers have done more of the heavy lifting defensively. Bergeron, of course, does.

It's more accurate to call him an elite 2-way winger than an elite 2-way center, but neither is accurate as he plays a hybrid role. He's far more like Patrick Kane than Patrice Bergeron.
I don't think you are giving him enough credit for his 2oo ft commitment this year, or him being harder on the puck. He was very mediocre last year in these 2 areas. He has taken Trotz's lessons to heart and really has become elite both ways 5 v 5. I actually think he should be killing PIMS if he was not so valuable. There are different ways of being an elite 2 way player, a player like Barzal can control the puck and cause team to worry about him where this results in defensive positives. It's like the Habs dynasty teams old saying, an opposing team cannot score if they do not have the puck. Barzal is elite in doing this.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
what make me smile is this kid wants to win bad and sacrifices flashy PP points and empty net points to get the W. You don't hear him complaining about it at all. He is playing much harder on the puck in the D zone and is blowing away any islander in plus minus. Like TWS said, I think there is room to grow in many aspects so the sky is the limit for this kid ...

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
what make me smile is this kid wants to win bad and sacrifices flashy PP points and empty net points to get the W. You don't hear him complaining about it at all. He is playing much harder on the puck in the D zone and is blowing away any islander in plus minus. Like TWS said, I think there is room to grow in many aspects so the sky is the limit for this kid ...
Barzal is certainly not an Auston Matthews my friend. ;)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hard to complain when you're winning

Reactions: mm11 and MJF

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Trots has given Barzal credit in his post game comments for his improvement defensively. Would love to see Barzal kill penalties as well as his speed would definitely keep opposing pps a bit more on there heels. One thing is for sure kid is going to get a massive raise something Goring was talking about in the telecast last night.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Trots has given Barzal credit in his post game comments for his improvement defensively. Would love to see Barzal kill penalties as well as his speed would definitely keep opposing pps a bit more on there heels. One thing is for sure kid is going to get a massive raise something Goring was talking about in the telecast last night.

Yes, 0ne would think #13 would welcome the open ice. Trotz experimented with this in the pre season. Only a matter of time. The other team may be chasing Barzy for 2 minutes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad