Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I will be that guy, if for whatever reason he says he doesn't want to be here. Trade him, it is a business get the best return. While I don't see that happening, he is the player in which the NHL is now geared for skill and skating. Build around him offensively through the draft as best as possible b/c free agency isn't our stronghold. Though I think belmont changes that.

Oh good. I'm so glad we're getting a head start on this topic. :facepalm:

Reactions: Axel574 and Instant

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I will be that guy, if for whatever reason he says he doesn't want to be here. Trade him, it is a business get the best return. While I don't see that happening, he is the player in which the NHL is now geared for skill and skating. Build around him offensively through the draft as best as possible b/c free agency isn't our stronghold. Though I think belmont changes that.

He’s an RFA.

The worst outcome is four firsts.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Even if he says he won't re-sign as an UFA, who cares? That's still five years away at absolute minimum. No need to trade him now. We can trade him in 4.5 years if that does happen.

Yes, I know. I wasn't saying I agree, I was just saying that I believe that's what the OP meant.

And you are ignoring the very slim yet possible outcome where he completely hates the team and says he's not going to sign and sits out. Again, not saying that's going to happen, but for the sake of accuracy we should include all the possible outcomes.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
If I’m Lou I want to sign him now. If I’m Barzal or his agent I want to wait til May or June next year thinking I could probably return to or improve on my first season form.

I have the same feeling about Barzal as I did about Bread and his girlfriend. He doesn't strike me as a suburbs guy. He's young, he started hanging out with actors, got into clothes. I actually do think the Isles have an advantage over the Rangers in some cases. We need a superstar who is somewhat dull with a few kids. Here's the important part though, he has to tell his wife since he's the player making the big bucks, he'll decide where he'll play.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have the same feeling about Barzal as I did about Bread and his girlfriend. He doesn't strike me as a suburbs guy. He's young, he started hanging out with actors, got into clothes. I actually do think the Isles have an advantage over the Rangers in some cases. We need a superstar who is painfully dull with a few kids. Here's the important part though, he has to tell his wife since he's the player making the big bucks, he'll decide where he'll play.

Said no married man ever who wanted to remain in good health.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
probably get a better idea once more of the high end rfa's sign their deals this summer so that theres a few more comparables to use .

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I'm more worried about him having Canuck PJ's. He grew up in Vancouver or somewhere in BC, no?
I heard that he was a Hawk fan even though he grew up in Vancouver. He also played his major junior years in Seattle and was loved there. He also was a huge Crosby fan too. However I would love to see Isles lock him up for long term.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If he has worked on his shots this summer and willing to do both (pass/shot) & improve the timing of holding on his puck (like not overdoing it) and comes to camp good shape then I think he will be better. He also has to focus a bit more on the placement of his stick during his back check so he can more effective without taking penalties). So there are lots of room to improve. As for the PP, this is where we may see if he apply his talent to another level.

How much he improves will likely has correlation to his next contract. Will Lou wait a few of months or at least until January, I can see that as well. He may very well be Isles best player and being that does give him some leverage on resigning and his agent will definitely use that fully. Can't see Lou being the type to rush into a contract though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal could knock it out of the park this season. Or the Trotz system will keep his points in check. Will be interesting to see how this affects contract talks. I know he has a great relationship with Lou so that helps.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Barzal could knock it out of the park this season. Or the Trotz system will keep his points in check. Will be interesting to see how this affects contract talks. I know he has a great relationship with Lou so that helps.
I have a feeling that Barzal's negotiations will be fairly seamless. The RFAs this year will do the heavy lifting as far as what the values are. Depending on what happens this year, he's probably in the Aho zone. Of course, Montreal did a huge solid to the Canes. I think we'll see that if Aho stuck around to sign his deal after Marner sets the market, he would easily have surpassed $8.5 AAV. The bonus money is pretty nice though.

Reactions: Treebeard

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think it's a little premature to discuss this TWS. So much depends on what happens with this year's group of RFA's before we have a better grasp on market precedents and comparables.

All I know is that he won't be cheap and will likely want 5 years.

Agreed, too much can happen in the up season. In fact, too much can happen in the upcoming month with RFAs to really discuss what Barzal will make including:

• Big year
  • RFAs signing landmark deals
  • Cap changes

I believe he can take a big step and be close to a 90 point player this season, with defensive improvements, and coming even close to this would make Kadri and Rielly non-comparables. They are from before the RFA "enlightenment" period, anyways. Not really comparable.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Next summer cross out Clayton Keller and write in Matt Starzal. There's his deal.

Lou will get it done, he's had a great summer signing players to team friendly deals. Agents know he is no nonsense, and they respect him. Lou is no Kyle Dumbass.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think Barzal is worth 750K-1M AAV more per year, and a lot depends on this year, but I think that contract is a great guide.
Hopefully Barzal is of the same mind. Slightly over $8m is a palatable landing spot for him. Especially for 8 years. I may be delusional and naive, but I somehow don't see Barzal holding out for every last dollar. That's based entirely on nothing so take that for whatever its worth.

Reactions: dano16

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Hopefully Barzal is of the same mind. Slightly over $8m is a palatable landing spot for him. Especially for 8 years. I may be delusional and naive, but I somehow don't see Barzal holding out for every last dollar. That's based entirely on nothing so take that for whatever its worth.

In the Staple article....he states he is not a chase the money guy, just wants to win.

This is the most chicken little thread ever.

He seems to be saying he wants the Isles to throw something at Marner/Laine. He wants to win.

The sky isnt falling. Everyone Relax. (not directed at you crash--lets go Jets)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Jesus - Now Staple is resorting to sensationalizing the titles to his articles. The "shake up the league" line Barzal says is totally out of context as he is referring to others' contracts and not his own.

To put that line next to how he "feels about his next contract" is so disingenuous.

Reactions: Lame Lambert and SI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad