Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Guys -

Mat Barzal is getting 9 million/year MINIMUM on his next contract.

If anyone doubts that I will happily bet you stone cold cash.

I'm with you and I'd go further.

Since I'm not the GM, I'd pay him $9M x 8 yrs without blinking right now.
That's the floor. Assuming no injury, I see him getting near $10M per if his agent wants to play hardball.
Let's face it, the Isles are a lottery team without him. That's not a secret.
He's very likely the face of the franchise for next 10 years.
This needs to a non-contentious negotiation.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I think he gets 11, or 12. 8 or 9 he would be signed already. Jt played at a discount as did several others eight years ago. Guys aren't doing discounts anymore. Either you pay him 11 million or watch someone else pay him it.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I think he gets 11, or 12. 8 or 9 he would be signed already. Jt played at a discount as did several others eight years ago. Guys aren't doing discounts anymore. Either you pay him 11 million or watch someone else pay him it.
Toronto Maple Leafs aren't doing discounts.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
What if he's not signed by the trade deadline and you lose him in the summer? What could you get for him now compared to some draft picks? If I'm Lou, and I offered him a ton of money, and he's not signed, I'm sending him on his way for high end talent in the 19 20 year old range at the deadline. Losing him to a absurd contract in the summer sets the team back a long time.

He is an RFA. What are you talking about?

Reactions: Lame Lambert

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Yet, it's the same GM who gave awful contracts Lee and Varlamov

Varlamov's contract wont be awful if Sorokin is here (and is what we expect)

I feel like so many people have never watched this dude play, and think Lehner won't regress this year. Varlamov is much more athletic, quicker and can play the puck. His contract will not look bad with the new CBA and goalies now playing 60-40

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It takes just one Dumbass GM to overpay RFA's. Thank god he is not ours.
No one followed Dumbass' lead on market resetting contracts thankfully. Lucky for Isles fans, we have Lou. If Barzal tries to do what Marner and Matthews did to the Leafs, then as much as I love Barzal as a player, I would let him sit or deal him. This comes from probably the biggest Barzal backer on the board. A player that thinks he is that much bigger than the team, I would not want. Fortunately I don't believe Barzal is like this. He will sign in line with the more reasonable deals. The only team overpaying is the Leafs. Lou got Eberle, Lee, and Nelson to all fair deals, some could have gotten more on the open market. The internal pay scale has been set by Lou. Players will fall in line. I have no doubts Barzal will too. We will see.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Varlamov's contract wont be awful if Sorokin is here (and is what we expect)

I feel like so many people have never watched this dude play, and think Lehner won't regress this year. Varlamov is much more athletic, quicker and can play the puck. His contract will not look bad with the new CBA and goalies now playing 60-40
Yeah, I have watched "that dude" play. I watched him play his way out of a starting gig. Considering the amount of injuries and now being 31, explain how he is much more athletic...

Varlamov could end up playing well here, that doesnt negate the fact he received a bad contract (from our end).

Reactions: ichabod13

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Yeah, I have watched "that dude" play. I watched him play his way out of a starting gig. Considering the amount of injuries and now being 31, explain how he is much more athletic...

Varlamov could end up playing well here, that doesnt negate the fact he received a bad contract (from our end).

You watched him play out of his "starting gig?"

Or you watched the Avs move Grubaurer....who they gave a deal too and traded a 1st rounder, into the fold?

Varly playing in a defensive system over a run and gun will be a massive improvement.

31 isn't old for a goalie.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
You watched him play out of his "starting gig?"

Or you watched the Avs move Grubaurer....who they gave a deal too and traded a 1st rounder, into the fold?

Varly playing in a defensive system over a run and gun will be a massive improvement.

31 isn't old for a goalie.
So, you a bonafide goaltender, yet you feel the need to give up assets like they did to get Grubauer.

Maybe because Varlamov had one good season and never recaptured that ever again. Combined with the mounting injuries that forced Colorado to look into other avenues to sure up the goaltending.

Also, never said 31 was exactly old, but combined with his injuries, I wanted to know, with those two factors how hes such a superior athlete?

Reactions: ichabod13

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
So, you a bonafide goaltender, yet you feel the need to give up assets like they did to get Grubauer.

Maybe because Varlamov had one good season and never recaptured that ever again. Combined with the mounting injuries that forced Colorado to look into other avenues to sure up the goaltending.

Also, never said 31 was exactly old, but combined with his injuries, I wanted to know, with those two factors how hes such a superior athlete?

Not sure how I'm a goaltender nor claimed it? I do however understand your constant sky is falling posts. (See after Tavares left)

1.)--Lou offered the same. Didn't throw in more because of the Tavares issue. Washington needed a sweatener to send in Metro.

2.) One good season? Lol wow

3.) Has play 50+ games 6 of past 8 seasons. Please stop getting your talking points from ESPN.

4.) Please provide me were I used the term "superior." He is more athletic side to side then Lehner, and can play the puck. I have a feeling 99.9% of the league would say that too.

Also I don't want to call you out. Go back to the last week of July in the Islander FA signing thread. You were a fan of the Lehner siging?

Kvashin

Aug 14, 2005
Trading Barzal would bring the top 6 winger we desperately need. Plus, we have an elite playmaker languishing in the A to take Barzal’s place, he just needs to move to Center. :sarcasm:

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Not sure how I'm a goaltender nor claimed it? I do however understand your constant sky is falling posts. (See after Tavares left)

1.)--Lou offered the same. Didn't throw in more because of the Tavares issue. Washington needed a sweatener to send in Metro.

2.) One good season? Lol wow

3.) Has play 50+ games 6 of past 8 seasons. Please stop getting your talking points from ESPN.

4.) Please provide me were I used the term "superior." He is more athletic side to side then Lehner, and can play the puck. I have a feeling 99.9% of the league would say that too.

Also I don't want to call you out. Go back to the last week of July in the Islander FA signing thread. You were a fan of the Lehner siging?
Constant sky is falling? What?

Also, Varlamov having an injury history is an ESPN talking point, fair enough.

As far as my feelings towards Lehner, doesnt really hold water as the situations are vastly different.

You are a Varlamov fan, that's awesome. Im not.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
He is an RFA. What are you talking about?
You can still lose a guy with RFA. If he signs some absurd contract and all the isles get are some draft picks it takes two years to find the right players to turn those picks into a NHL player. I'm good with dumping anyone who's not thrilled to be here. Rather turn him into a Turgeon type of trade then lose him for picks. Anyone saying they know he's not into $$ or ego, unless they are his good friend, Have no idea what makes him happy. I do know he was quoted in Newsday last year saying he gets pumped more for games against Canadian teams, and therefore plays better in those games.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You can still lose a guy with RFA. If he signs some absurd contract and all the isles get are some draft picks it takes two years to find the right players to turn those picks into a NHL player. I'm good with dumping anyone who's not thrilled to be here. Rather turn him into a Turgeon type of trade then lose him for picks. Anyone saying they know he's not into $$ or ego, unless they are his good friend, Have no idea what makes him happy. I do know he was quoted in Newsday last year saying he gets pumped more for games against Canadian teams, and therefore plays better in those games.

Just stop. You're bringing up things that aren't even close to happening for no reason. There was one RFA who signed an offer sheet and it wasn't to big money. There was one over-payment of an RFA that occurred this summer and it wasn't an offer sheet.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
giphy.gif

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Considering JT took less money to go to Toronto he's actually still playing at a discount.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Very promising after what I would call a slow start for Mathew. This is what I like to see. More shooting. Always said he has a good shot. #Beauty.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Very promising after what I would call a slow start for Mathew. This is what I like to see. More shooting. Always said he has a good shot. #Beauty.

Shooting more is good. Shooting when you're supposed to shoot is even better. I don't want the kid to change his game - just be a bit more opportunistic and balanced. He's not scoring 40 goals, but if he keeps looking to shoot when its warranted, he'll easily be over 20 while still piling up the assists.

I like how he called for the puck there too. Like he was Shea Weber or sumthin.

Reactions: FourRings

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shooting more is good. Shooting when you're supposed to shoot is even better. I don't want the kid to change his game - just be a bit more opportunistic and balanced. He's not scoring 40 goals, but if he keeps looking to shoot when its warranted, he'll easily be over 20 while still piling up the assists.

I like how he called for the puck there too. Like he was Shea Weber or sumthin.
Mathew will always be an elite distributor first. Absolutely, all I ever wanted from him is to be a little more selfish. I think Barry Trotz is telling him to shoot more too. This will open up passing lanes when the D know he is not going to dish off 90% of the time. Been following him since his Seattle days, and Mathew has a good underrated shot. He should use it. It is a weapon. But yes, I see your point his strength is still being an elite playmaker. Let's not change this. But a 25 - 30 goal scorer he certainly has this potential if he shoots more.

Reactions: mm11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad