Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This topic has not been on the burner for some time. Barzal is currently on a 68 point pace. This is followed up with a 62, and 85 point seasons.

Obviously playing with little around him has hurt his numbers, plus the Isles system is not a run and gun one.

But the positive if you are an Isles fan, is he will have less bargaining power when he goes up against Lou this summer. This one can be tricky. But if I am a betting man. He is going to get signed to a nice number that the Isles can live with. And hopefully Mathew can too.

For me around 8M-8.5M x 5 years seems to be the starting point.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
This topic has not been on the burner for some time. Barzal is currently on a 68 point pace. This is followed up with a 62, and 85 point seasons.

Obviously playing with little around him has hurt his numbers, plus the Isles system is not a run and gun one.

But the positive if you are an Isles fan, is he will have less bargaining power when he goes up against Lou this summer. This one can be tricky. But if I am a betting man. He is going to get signed to a nice number that the Isles can live with. And hopefully Mathew can too.

what's the thoughts on an 8 year deal?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
At this point a 2-3 year bridge deal where Barzal is still an RFA at the end probably makes the most sense for both sides. Barzal probably would prefer to go for the big long-term contract for bigger $$ in a couple of years.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
At this point a 2-3 year bridge deal where Barzal is still an RFA at the end probably makes the most sense for both sides. Barzal probably would prefer to go for the big long-term contract for bigger $$ in a couple of years.

I tend to agree after this season. Now...where do you think the AAV lands? 8MM? I don't think he goes below that number, if he even goes that low. But at the same time it gives us a little cap flexibility in the near term to try and add help up front, and gets us to the new arena and TV deal where if he proves himself over the bridge deal there's plenty of money available then.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
what's the thoughts on an 8 year deal?
I don’t know since this will buy up ufa years. The avv will be higher. I think aho is his comparable. But aho’s numbers his contract year were better. I would say aho’s contract is a bargain now. This would make me happy if it is similar.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I tend to agree after this season. Now...where do you think the AAV lands? 8MM? I don't think he goes below that number, if he even goes that low. But at the same time it gives us a little cap flexibility in the near term to try and add help up front, and gets us to the new arena and TV deal where if he proves himself over the bridge deal there's plenty of money available then.
Haven't some other high-end RFAs signed bridge deals in the $6-7 million/season range? That's my recollection, anyway

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think we can all agree, Isles dodged a bullet this year. barzal could have put up a 80+ pt season if he had the players around him. But it is looking like 2 60+ pts seasons. He may want to bet on himself with a short 3 year bridge.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think we can all agree, Isles dodged a bullet this year. barzal could have put up a 80+ pt season if he had the players around him. But it is looking like 2 60+ pts seasons. He may want to bet on himself with a short 3 year bridge.
I'm not sure if I'm down with the thought process that we dodged a bullet because Barzal is not having a great year. I think I'd prefer him to be an 80+ pt scorer and let the chips fall where they may. He still thinks of himself as an elite player and is not going to drop his demands all that significantly. $8m on a short deal will be the floor IMO. $10m+ on a long term deal although I doubt its 8 years. Either a short 2-3 year deal that keeps him as an RFA at the end (with the last years being higher salary to make his QO higher) or a 6 year or so deal that buys up a couple of UFA years but lets him hit UFA in his prime still.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Lamoriello isn't in a coma, he is playing 3D chess.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

Maybe we should stop with this nonsence. Barzal's stats are down, I think it has a lot more to do with the team's playing style than the players he plays with. Also, I think the other teams have adapted well to him.

Who was he playing with two years ago when he amassed 85 points? Essentially Eberle, Beauvillier and Ladd. Yet the first two are still there. You won't make me believe that Lee is spoiling everything? Or Bailey?

There are also other differences: two years ago, the Islanders were out of the playoffs in February. So without too much pressure and in a more open style, our offensive players collected their points.

"Playoffs hockey" essentially begins after the All-Star Break. And the stats are often downward from that point on. Out of curiosity I went to see the stats since. Well, Nelson has one more point than Barzal ... Is it because Nelson plays with better wingers? Well, it's a small sample though.

NHL.com Stats

So I went to see last season and once again, Nelson did better! Still the wingers' fault for Barzal?... Maybe! I'm just asking the question. Obviously, he is the player most watched by the opponent, but I don't think we should always blame his teammates (apparently not talented enough) for his lack of production.

NHL.com Stats

And here are the stats after the all-star game two years ago. The stats are up, but the +/- is very low! (And we were also much better on the PP)

NHL.com Stats

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Two podcast SPECULATION/RUMORS on this -

Spittin Chiclets with Elliotte Friedman: He believes that Barzal will get an offer sheet this summer. Friedman also hinted that Barzal wants to play more offensively than Trotz allows.

Isles Seat Podcast: BComp said that the negotiation will not be pretty, and will not be surprised if Mat is not present at the beginning of next season's training camp.

Again, take this as you will as both are stating their opinions on the situation.

Reactions: Costigan77

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Two podcast SPECULATION/RUMORS on this -

Spittin Chiclets with Elliotte Friedman: He believes that Barzal will get an offer sheet this summer. Friedman also hinted that Barzal wants to play more offensively than Trotz allows.

Isles Seat Podcast: BComp said that the negotiation will not be pretty, and will not be surprised if Mat is not present at the beginning of next season's training camp.

Again, take this as you will as both are stating their opinions on the situation.

Paul Bissonnette on Chiclets has referenced a rift between Trotz and Barzal before and has alluded to the fact that he knows people in the organization or is connected to the situation in some way. He won't come out and say who his source is but it was around the time of the benching that he made a "see, I told you so" type of claim.

I wouldn't be shocked if there was some unhappiness, but we have no idea how much it'd impact negotiations. Is Barzal upset he can't play more offensively because that leads to more points, which leads to more dollars in his bank account or is it simply a hockey thing?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I’m sure Barzy wants more points money or no money. Scoring is fun, it’s conversation, etc.

And when you’re not winning while not producing that “sacrifice” isn’t rewarding.

Just natural feelings.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
This news about Barzal does not surprise me. I would be surprised if a team did offer sheet Barzal as the islanders would likely match it.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

his bargaining power is I will go sign an offer sheet to whatever deal i want and force Lou to match. He doesn’t even have to negotiate with Lou if he doesn’t want too.

I’m guessing 3 yrs at high avg. maybe in the 10 neighbourhood. 8-9 if he’s nice. I don’t think he signs anything for term. I’m not sure he wants to stay that long.

Reactions: Costigan77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad