Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hopefully Barzal is of the same mind. Slightly over $8m is a palatable landing spot for him. Especially for 8 years. I may be delusional and naive, but I somehow don't see Barzal holding out for every last dollar. That's based entirely on nothing so take that for whatever its worth.

If Islanders can sign him 8 years 8M they should do it. Given the RFAs this year my guess if Barzal gets 75+ points that deal will be a steal(it will either be a case he demands more money or less years)

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Jesus - Now Staple is resorting to sensationalizing the titles to his articles. The "shake up the league" line Barzal says is totally out of context as he is referring to others' contracts and not his own.

To put that line next to how he "feels about his next contract" is so disingenuous.

Fake news. I thought the point of a paywall is to prevent click-bait garbage.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Fake news. I thought the point of a paywall is to prevent click-bait garbage.

If Barzal gets 70pts this season there is no reason why 8aav is out of the question. If he has a break out year and scores 90pts, well he probably can get 10.

Thankfully lou has done great in contract negotiations so far.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
giphy.gif

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal's next contract with Islanders 'will happen when it happens'
"It's not even on my mind, the contract thing. That will happen when it happens. I'm an RFA, I'm not a UFA, so I'm not waiting to hit July 1 to see the market. It's more just when the deal gets done that's right for both sides. I want to be on the island."
"I'm pretty confident in my game itself," Barzal said. "I don't feel like I've reached my full potential at all in the last two seasons. So, I'm looking to have a big season and our GM is Lou Lamoriello, he wants to build a winning culture. This year, I think for me, I need to prove that I'm on board and really want to be a part of that, and I do. I do want to be a part of that and be a part of that core that hopefully turns the Isles into a playoff contender every year."

Barzal's next contract with Islanders 'will happen when it happens'

Barzal will be signed and it will be here without resetting the market, I have zero doubts about this.

Reactions: Costigan77

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
With Chabot going 8y/64M, I don't know what more information is needed to get Barzal signed. That's got to be close to the right number.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Aho's contract is also a great comparable. Aho last 2 seasons 65-83 pts. Barzal 85-62

For me it is just about how long the term will be.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With Chabot going 8y/64M, I don't know what more information is needed to get Barzal signed. That's got to be close to the right number.

Who’s to say Barzal doesn’t want 50M over 5 years so he can cash in big twice?

Reactions: dano16

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Guys -

Mat Barzal is getting 9 million/year MINIMUM on his next contract.

If anyone doubts that I will happily bet you stone cold cash.

Agreed, we all watch every game and we know his game still has a few warts, mainly not being able to go up the middle and score. Everyone else around the league just watch his highlight reels. If he has a good year he'll get Marner money. The guy is pure excitement.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Who’s to say Barzal doesn’t want 50M over 5 years so he can cash in big twice?

I mean, it's possible - we don't really know. But there certainly are a number of contracts that ought to indicate what Barzal is worth. What we don't know is how Barzal's personality and ego fit into all of this. Does he see himself like Marner? Or does he see himself like Aho and Chabot? (If he wants a 5 year deal like Aho, then 8-8.5 AAV is also an established comparable). From my viewings of Aho last year - and remember he was playing hobbled in the playoffs - Aho was more consistently impactful than Barzal because his play without the puck is MUCH better. I think Barzal will get there, but I certainly don't think he's obviously worth more.

(BTW, the idea that the Chabot being a D making his contract not comparable just begs the question. Like, give a decent reason why you think it's not comparable in terms of cap % value or AAV - don't just state it like it's obvious because it isn't. I think that in terms of importance, supply and demand, and the like, #1C and #1D are comparable.)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Barzal’s contract is tough to pin down as their is a lot of unknowns still. We know he’s a fantastic talent but is he a PPG player (or more) or is he a 15 goal/65 pt player? Big difference between the two.

I think Pulock is a guy that we can possibly sign in advance. The Morrissey deal is pretty on point and while their will be some variance to his performance, I think both sides could agree that there will be an improvement in his stats but not outrageously so. Jmo, but a deal could be done.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We are seeing a trend with the Point, Tkackuk signings. The hybrid 3 years bridge.

Barzal may have this option.

On another note, does Barzal look thicker this year? To me he does.

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
Physically, I may have to check the updated weights of the roster to satisfy my curiosity.
You realize I was just kidding. Mentally, Barzy is the last guy I worry about. And there is no doubt that Barzy is physically stronger (and maybe weightier - those heights and weights on the various sites are never right anyway). Not moved off the puck nearly as easily.

Last edited:

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
What if he's not signed by the trade deadline and you lose him in the summer? What could you get for him now compared to some draft picks? If I'm Lou, and I offered him a ton of money, and he's not signed, I'm sending him on his way for high end talent in the 19 20 year old range at the deadline. Losing him to a absurd contract in the summer sets the team back a long time.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What if he's not signed by the trade deadline and you lose him in the summer? What could you get for him now compared to some draft picks? If I'm Lou, and I offered him a ton of money, and he's not signed, I'm sending him on his way for high end talent in the 19 20 year old range at the deadline. Losing him to a absurd contract in the summer sets the team back a long time.

He's an RFA and won't be lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->