Confirmed with Link: Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
More than what precedent suggested, in my opinion. As someone already set, it's a good small step forward. It would have been absurd to hand out 5+ games for a play that probably wouldn't have received a hearing a few years ago.

Glad he got some discipline.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
2 games is harsher than i expected. more than a fine surprises me. i see the bad intent but i've seen worse.

i wonder if this is head office payback to the panthers for making a big fuss about the domi punch. basically, an "as ye sew so shall ye reap" kind of a thing.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Considering how the NHL still handle things? Technically, yes. When you double the games Scrubson is suspended to the games it takes for Pettersson to be back on ice, I won't advocate retaliation. Two games is the absolute minimum Pettersson will be gone from the game, but it will be more and he probably won't be as good when he comes back.

Pathetic suspension. In the eyes of the NHL, it's big, in the eyes of any sort of actual justice for what he did? A joke. I hope the Canucks will carve out their pound of flesh in january when they face the Panthers.

You obviously don't want to go for something that ends in a career ending story, neither did Bertuzzi. But you can always break a wrist, break a finger or so, on either Scrubson directly (he will obviously not accept a fight), Barkov or Ekblad. Broken fingers or wrists is a courtesy, a concussion is much worse.

More like 20 minutes. Of subpar hockey.
Is your cave cold in the winter?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
2 games is harsher than i expected. more than a fine surprises me. i see the bad intent but i've seen worse.

i wonder if this is head office payback to the panthers for making a big fuss about the domi punch. basically, an "as ye sew so shall ye reap" kind of a thing.

Yeah I was expecting 1 game

In a reply just a couple of post before yours I laid down how I view the situation:

1 - Though there's no definitive evidence, the circumstances to which this occurred points towards premeditation/predatory.
2 - EP40 was injured badly.
3 - Most importantly, Matheson's "hit" was OK but the slam was COMPLETELY unnecessary, and was no way a hockey play, at all.
===============

If he just gave EP40 a good solid check to the shoulder against the board I doubt anyone will raise a fuzz, and EP40 wouldn't be hurt either. It's the follow up slam that was unnecessary, and incredibly difficult to justify as "finishing my check" or "just a hockey play", when being questioned after.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
The ironic thing about Matheson'a suspension is; the Panthers are probably a better team without him. An inanimate carbon rod on the bench is better than this anchor.

But he was given a big contract and thus his notoriously cheap and inept bosses keep him out there, hoping he lives up to his early billing.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
By rule of the nhl repeat offenders if that occurred over 18 months ago them he’s not a repeat guy. 18 months seems rather short. I mean a guy who gets punished in game 5 basically has to be clean for 2 full seasons. But if I get suspended in game 78, then it’s really just 1 season I need to be clean for since game 78 is late March and 18 months is September of the following year.

Should be 24 months.

This formal definition of repeat offender is only used to calculate the withheld salary in a suspension (whether it's per game, or per day missed).

In determining the length of the suspension, any prior discipline can be factored in for context.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In my opinion, this is based on three elements:

1 - Though there's no definitive evidence, the circumstances to which this occurred points towards premeditation/predatory.
3 - Most importantly, Matheson's "hit" was OK but the slam was COMPLETELY unnecessary, and was no way a hockey play, at all.

And Panthers fans are chirping and derping.

Yeah, let's see how they reaction if Huberdeau Ekblad or Barkov is taken off the ice on a ****ing stretcher from a "hit".
Ekblad got hit from behind by Hendricks in his second season in the NHL in Edm. Earlier in that game gudbranson stood up Hall at Center ice wither a clean hard check.

Hendricks tracked down Ekblad from the blue line in and drilled him into the boards. Ekblad has a concussion at the world junior selection camp in 2014. And in year 3 Ekblad got concussion #3. I would have expected panthers fans to be more concerned about head injuries given that.

Hendricks answered the bell to gudbranson when the 2 teams met in Florida later in the year.

See if Matheson steps up to the plate. Even Malkin did last year to Wheeler.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
It's been two days and I'm still embarrassed by the lack of response. Even Ryan Miller knew better than to let a rookie (Stetcher) get cheap shotted. Pretty sad that the toughest guy to play for the Canucks these past years is a 36 year old goalie.

The last time I remember seeing something as sad as that was when Lucic ran Miller and Buffalo didn't do anything. Pretty telling that that Sabres team would finish bottom 3 in the league that year. When you don't support each other you aren't going to win often.

I'm not saying the Canucks needed to pull a Bertuzzi, but there should have AT LEAST been a scrum.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Ekblad got hit from behind by Hendricks in his second season in the NHL in Edm. Earlier in that game gudbranson stood up Hall at Center ice wither a clean hard check.

Hendricks tracked down Ekblad from the blue line in and drilled him into the boards. Ekblad has a concussion at the world junior selection camp in 2014. And in year 3 Ekblad got concussion #3. I would have expected panthers fans to be more concerned about head injuries given that.

Hendricks answered the bell to gudbranson when the 2 teams met in Florida later in the year.

See if Matheson steps up to the plate. Even Malkin did last year to Wheeler.

I think the real question is will any of OUR so-called tough guys have the balls to step up to Matheson.

I'm gonna say no.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don’t think two games isn’t going to satisfy the majority of the coliseum crowd, not when petterson may miss 3 or 4.
Not sure I understand the double negative but 2 games was the minimum. No previous history. The best we can hope for out of this is that Matheson will think twice before reacting out of retribution towards another player. I hope he's one of the good guys and just had a bad moment. Unfortunate that Pettersson, the Canucks, and the Canucks fans had to pay the price for this momentary lapse.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This formal definition of repeat offender is only used to calculate the withheld salary in a suspension (whether it's per game, or per day missed).

In determining the length of the suspension, any prior discipline can be factored in for context.
Ok. Thanks. Cause we only hear that a player needs to be clean for 18 months to not be a repeat offender.

Appreciate the clarification.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yeah I was expecting 1 game

In a reply just a couple of post before yours I laid down how I view the situation:

===============

If he just gave EP40 a good solid check to the shoulder against the board I doubt anyone will raise a fuzz, and EP40 wouldn't be hurt either. It's the follow up slam that was unnecessary, and incredibly difficult to justify as "finishing my check" or "just a hockey play", when being questioned after.

i agree with that whole take and i would add that i could see matheson was taking out his frustrations when he did it. i just think that typically the nhl discipline guys purposely do not see stuff like that unless it total unavoidable to see it and also clearly inexcusable and unexplainable, and even then they still tend to give first offenders a break. maybe they have changed their approach but i think it is more likely settling a score along the lines of my speculation that florida overdid the complaining over the domi hit or maybe a longer history than that back to previous incidents.

i could be wrong. i have also been surprised by how strongly sentiment on the main board has been to call this a dirty hit. usually more neutral guys take the other side. maybe it's as obvious to everyone else as it is to me for a change.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
i agree with that whole take and i would add that i could see matheson was taking out his frustrations when he did it. i just think that typically the nhl discipline guys purposely do not see stuff like that unless it total unavoidable to see it and also clearly inexcusable and unexplainable, and even then they still tend to give first offenders a break. maybe they have changed their approach but i think it is more likely settling a score along the lines of my speculation that florida overdid the complaining over the domi hit or maybe a longer history than that back to previous incidents.

i could be wrong. i have also been surprised by how strongly sentiment on the main board has been to call this a dirty hit. usually more neutral guys take the other side. maybe it's as obvious to everyone else as it is to me for a change.

I'm thinking people might be calling it the wrong term - technically it wasn't "dirty" but it was not hockey, and it was impossible to justify as hockey.

LeBrun said hey this isn't WWE, and Matheson's only defense was...oh hey I'm Matheson, I'm a f***ing nobody. Pretty pathetic defense if he's even got the balls to say that to the face of player safety.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00