Confirmed with Link: Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'm reading this late so the response to this post is way after it should have been made but it reflects perfectly on the Comets this past weekend. The response is the catcher.

Toronto Marlies goon Emerson Clark took a serious run at Ashton Sautner on the boards. No CALL! Carter Bancks, far from an enforcer, in fact no kind of fighter at all, immediately went after Clark. He made it clear he was saying this kind of crap is not allowed. He took a swing, took a punch, and was wrestled/taken hard to the ice almost face first. He got 2, 5, 10 for his efforts. Clark. the perpetrator got 5. Carter is the team Captain and every player on that team appreciated his response. For whatever the reasons Clark didn't throw his weight around much the remainder of the game.

The next afternoon, Archibald laid the said goon out in a one on one hockey situation in which Archi was actually acting the part of a defenseman as Juolevi got caught up ice (a frequent event Olli is going to have to fix). Archi played the body 100% and when the situation was perfect, he stepped up and laid the unsuspecting Clark out with a perfectly clean hit. Who would have thunk a forward could make this defensman type hit so perfectly.

Later in the game Sautner cleanly exacted his own revenge with another huge clean hit on Clark from which he did not return.

Captain Bancks had an immediate response and the next day when the opportunity presented itself he was smacked very hard on 2 occasions and was out of the game. This is how a team normally responds to goonish behavior.

The Comets have always been a very close, unselfish bunch, who play for each other and not for themselves. I place ownership for this culture on Archibald, Biega, and then Bancks, Hamilton and Gaunce upon their arrival one year later. MacEwen has taken up the mantle and Carcone, who is more of an agitator, will also jump right in. Arseneau is the latest to be added to this culture. Problem with Arse is he doesn't play very often. I suspect Gadjovich will become part of the ongoing culture as he works to become more of an everyday player.

The Comets will defend one another. Not sure if all of the rookies have latched onto the concept just yet, but am sure this weekend doubleheader in Toronto has opened some of their eyes.
That's while I'll be following the Comets primarily this year. The Comets are a real team while this is probably the weakest Canucks group I have ever seen.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You saw one. They scored the game winning goal.

Over the course of a regular season teams are generally going to see 20-50 wins or losses in either direction. Giving the other team a L 5 games into the season when they're probably going to see 40 L's anyways and aren't even in the same conference is no sort of payback or deterrence.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This team really realizes they screwed up in their response with the quotes from players.

Rousell will probably go overboard in January
Gudbranson wont do anything
Beagle will ruffle a few feathers
Sutter is 50/50 to do something
Hutton is my dark horse to do something

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
This team really realizes they screwed up in their response with the quotes from players.

Agree on Roussel and Gudbranson.

The rest, not so much.

Pogotheclown

Oct 11, 2015
2 game suspension for a brain injury. Glad we got the 2 points.

The league doesn´t seem to know where they wanna go. Two games to slam a much more skilled and less physical player isn´t going to deter any big talentless player, especially when the games starts to mean something.

The only real statement the nhl make with rulings like theese, which is a joke, is that the days of the enforcers are not over.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

I think it helps that most of the Vancouver fan base is calling them cowards. They ought to know that they screwed up and that fans won't support this kind of behavior.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The ironic thing about Matheson'a suspension is; the Panthers are probably a better team without him. An inanimate carbon rod on the bench is better than this anchor.

But he was given a big contract and thus his notoriously cheap and inept bosses keep him out there, hoping he lives up to his early billing.

to be fair, they did dump gudbranson

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Why is there no team penalty? Florida "lost" their worst player, Canucks lost their best. It's pretty clear who the loser is in this one. The team management should be held responsible to who they put on the ice and of their actions.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, I'm pleasantly surprised Matheson got a couple of games. Was expecting the usual slap on the wrist.

I'm still disappointed in the team. All the 3 wise monkeys blather is just embarrassing. Way to be looking out for your rookie teammate, guys. Yeah, he's only the best player on the team. Why would anyone keep an eye on him at all? Oh, we didn't see nothin'! Yeah, great. As I said before, I remember Bertuzzi/Moore perfectly well. I wasn't looking for retribution or vengeance, just some sign this team possesses some tiny shred of desire to protect one another. Some scrap of instinct to fight back. Or failing that, some tiny inkling that they weren't happy about seeing a teammate go down to a cheapshot.

And there was nothing. Not during the game, not after the game, not from any of the supposed leaders. WTF is this team? Where the hell is any heart? Here we are in year five of the Benning regime, and this is where we are. No identity. No heart. No balls. Very little skill, very little speed, zero toughness, and a whole lot of bloated contracts.

This is the darkest timeline.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Matheson isn't some talentless goon.. not sure why this sort of rhetoric is prevailing the last few days. He'd instantly be our 3rd best defenseman. That alone isn't saying much but he's a talented defender and a good skater.

He also doubled as a pylon, and when infuriated, morphed into Hulk Hogan.

Let's see his machismo after he is turned into a meat puppet.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Two games is about what I expected. It's exactly what I expected actually.
giphy.gif

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
According to Green no one knew what happened. they should have been able to get the video before the end of the game. Disappointed that there was no pushback or payback. However, as I stated days ago, the reason nothing happened at the time of the incident is that no one knew what happened.

I think 2 days is not really enough. He should have got more than the minimum. Even 3 days would have been much more of a message.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
According to Green no one knew what happened. they should have been able to get the video before the end of the game. Disappointed that there was no pushback or payback. However, as I stated days ago, the reason nothing happened at the time of the incident is that no one knew what happened.

I think 2 days is not really enough. He should have got more than the minimum. Even 3 days would have been much more of a message.

2 games is fair for Matheson. He has no history of foul play.

2 games is a joke if it is meant to deter similar incidents in the future in the league.

Reactions: billvanseattle

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Just lost a little respect for Jason Strudwick...

"The idea of a suspension or fine for Matheson is nuts. Is a Dman supposed to tailor his physicality to the weight or strength of opposing players? This is crazy!"JS

Last edited:

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
this is gonna be a hot take but i bet EP doesn't slew foot players going into the boards anymore. i love EP but it seems like matheson got some retribution, which is what the majority of canucks fans are hoping for against matheson. it's such irony.

when matheson's agent comes out says his players actions weren't a result of anything that happened to him, you pretty much know that's exactly what it was.

welcome to the nhl, son.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
this is gonna be a hot take but i bet EP doesn't slew foot players going into the boards anymore. i love EP but it seems like matheson got some retribution, which is what the majority of canucks fans are hoping for against matheson. it's such irony.

when matheson's agent comes out says his players actions weren't a result of anything that happened to him, you pretty much know that's exactly what it was.
If by retribution you mean playing hard against him physically but within the rules then yes, I believe the majority of Canucks fans hope for that. Probably more than any fan based, this one knows what can happen when lines are crossed and no one wants to see that again.

Reactions: carolinacanuck

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
If by retribution you mean playing hard against him physically but within the rules then yes, I believe the majority of Canucks fans hope for that. Probably more than any fan based, this one knows what can happen when lines are crossed and no one wants to see that again.

the suspension is hopefully the end of it. ep slew footed, matheson went over the line the get him back and the nhl took care of it. i don't need gubrandson or anyone else seeking payback in january. hopefully ep can be back in a week or so and we can all move on.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
the suspension is hopefully the end of it. ep slew footed, matheson went over the line the get him back and the nhl took care of it. i don't need gubrandson or anyone else seeking payback in january. hopefully ep can be back in a week or so and we can all move on.
Didn't see any slew foot but yeah, hopefully this is the end of it. Responses coming "the next time we play them", while maybe getting the fan bases whipped up, seem weak. Just play hard within the rules, show some passion for team and teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad