Confirmed with Link: Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
this is gonna be a hot take but i bet EP doesn't slew foot players going into the boards anymore. i love EP but it seems like matheson got some retribution, which is what the majority of canucks fans are hoping for against matheson. it's such irony.

when matheson's agent comes out says his players actions weren't a result of anything that happened to him, you pretty much know that's exactly what it was.

welcome to the nhl, son.
Slew foot? Pettersson didn't slew foot anyone in that game, you've been listening to salty Panthers fans too much.

Reactions: EP40

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I mean I'm human and have a bit of bloodlust like anyone else (but also do not want to go back to the spring of 2004), but I'd much rather this situation not have arisen in the first place. It's really not that hard. Just like other contact sports somehow get by without fighting, hockey doesn't need "message sending" and "responses" to weed out intentional violence... it just needs to take it seriously under the rules.
That's the problem in a nutshell. Other contact sports have draconian punishments if you step over the line like this. Just look at rugby (both codes). Until the NHL (and some of its supporters) grow up it will continue to be a major problem.

Reactions: Jyrki21

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't know how to embed tweets but if you go to dan murphy's twitter feed he's got a gif of it. (wow, copying the link works too)

it doesn't look super dangerous but it's one of those plays a guy is gonna remember later on, especially after he gets dangled.

Don't see it as a slew foot but it kinda defeats Jason Strudwick's arguement that the only reason Pettersson got hurt was because he is so light. I guess Matheson must be 150 lbs based on that "slew foot".

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well he got something. I didn't have my hopes set highly due to, let's call it Canuck luck, but as a first time offender, I'm glad there was some fall out. 1/40th of his paycheque forfeited and the same number of games that Pettersson is projected to miss as a precaution is the best I could have realistically hoped for. I also think that that will hurt Matheson more then 30 seconds of being punched by Gudbranson or whomever. If this was a Simon/Wilson/Avery flagrant disregard for the rules and this was his third suspension worthy play this year, then yes, mete out some medieval style justice. I hate the play, I still do, but the suspension, likely fallout from his coach/team for doing something stupid that led us to rally to beat them (they still want to win, it's not just 2 points for us) and the loss of 118,000 dollars for a player without a dirty history is enough of a warning.

Now I just hope Pettersson is symptom free and ready to play quickly. I'm going to miss him tonight.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'd rather a league that took intent to injure as seriously as other sports leagues so that this thing doesn't happen in the first place. The idea that "2 games seems just" shows how brainwashed many of us are.

The only reason there is a "Code" is the same arms-race crap that gives rise to people thinking toddlers should be armed because the bad guys have guns.

When you have a competent justice system, you don't need "codes" and you don't need vigilantism. The NHL (and many, many of its fans) have to grow up.

I get what you're saying but this kind of thing needs to happen gradually. You can't just break precedent and suddenly issue a sentence way harsher than previous decisions.

The fact that this got a two game suspension us big. Most of us were expecting nothing. Probably even two years ago it would have been nothing. Five years ago it wouldnt have been a hearing. And in five years maybe its ten games instead of two.

We are behind but moving in the right direction.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Given Matheson's two game suspension, do you still want the snot beaten out of him in the rematch?
Ferraro was talking about that the other day...It won't happen..Both teams will have a 'talking to' before hand,and there will be a vet referee there to officiate the game.

On top of that,as a deterrent..the Panthers will surely dress Michael Haley for that game,who is one tough customer...

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I get what you're saying but this kind of thing needs to happen gradually. You can't just break precedent and suddenly issue a sentence way harsher than previous decisions.

The fact that this got a two game suspension us big. Most of us were expecting nothing. Probably even two years ago it would have been nothing. Five years ago it wouldnt have been a hearing. And in five years maybe its ten games instead of two.

We are behind but moving in the right direction.
I guess, but the reality is that punishment right now, after the fact, is pretty inconsequential to everyone involved, so the debate as to whether it is enough is really more academic than anything.

There is something to be said for gradual adaptation, but I don't know that it has to be as gradual as all that, as long as it isn't mid-season (which of course the NHL has hilariously done many times before). On a practical level, I think the league could, in any offseason, send warning that "intent to injure" is basically as bad as it gets under the rules (and it is) and will be taken very seriously moving forward. Any player dumb enough to test them like this after fair warning deserves the book thrown at them.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
this is gonna be a hot take but i bet EP doesn't slew foot players going into the boards anymore. i love EP but it seems like matheson got some retribution, which is what the majority of canucks fans are hoping for against matheson. it's such irony.

when matheson's agent comes out says his players actions weren't a result of anything that happened to him, you pretty much know that's exactly what it was.

welcome to the nhl, son.

This. You mess with the bull you get the horn...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Don't see it as a slew foot but it kinda defeats Jason Strudwick's arguement that the only reason Pettersson got hurt was because he is so light. I guess Matheson must be 150 lbs based on that "slew foot".

Do you even know what a slew foot is? The bigger you are the harder you fall; size has no effect on whether or not you go down.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Was a clean hit, unnecessary roughing with the throw down. Unfortunate that EP got a concussion but don’t think Matheson is a dirty player. However hit was premeditated and resulted in injury, 2 games is a good call by DoPS. Hope EP has a fast recovery!

With that said Canucks should have responded when the incident happened, they should have showed some passion, emotion & concern in that game, hopefully they learn from this and stand up for each other going forward. They have to let this incident go and cannot go Matheson hunting next time they play, that’s not what the fan & media uproar is about, it’s about not sticking up for one another and being a close bunch of guys. Don’t want to see another Bertuzzi-Moore incident.

Last edited:
Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I always amazes me how two otherwise reasonable individuals can look at exactly the same thing and come to two completely different conclusions. This is guy in the gorilla suit all over again - depends completely on what your bias is telling you to look for.

Last edited:

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Ferraro was talking about that the other day...It won't happen..Both teams will have a 'talking to' before hand,and there will be a vet referee there to officiate the game.

On top of that,as a deterrent..the Panthers will surely dress Michael Haley for that game,who is one tough customer...

Michael Haley appears to be done as a hockey player. CTE maybe? Funny thing is, the guys on the Panthers subforum blaming Pettersson for getting a concussion are understanding and sympathetic towards Haley.

Still doesn't explain how Edmonton exacted a pound of flesh from that Brandon Manning POS. Lucic, Kassian and Maroon were poking him the entire game until he dropped?

Did the NHL somehow allow it? Why didn't brain dead Radko Gudas go after Oilers players?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Was a clean hit, unnecessary roughing with the throw down but that’s it. Unfortunate that EP got a concussion but don’t think Matheson is a dirty player. However hit was premeditated and resulted in injury, 2 games is a good call by DoPS. Hope EP has a fast recovery.

With that said Canucks should have responded when the incident happened, they should have showed some passion, emotion & concern in that game, hopefully they learn from this and stand up for each other going forward. They have to let this incident go and cannot go Matheson hunting next time they play, that’s not what the fan & media uproar is about, it’s about not sticking up for one another and being a close bunch of guys. Don’t want to see another Bertuzzi-Moore incident.

Wasn't a clean hit at any point. Put his stick between the legs, lifted him by his crotch, can opener and then body slam. Dirty, illegal play from start to finish.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Was a clean hit, unnecessary roughing with the throw down but that’s it. Unfortunate that EP got a concussion but don’t think Matheson is a dirty player. However hit was premeditated and resulted in injury, 2 games is a good call by DoPS. Hope EP has a fast recovery.

Some guys are simply wired to take that extra dangerous shot. The shove/slam was unnecessary on a guy who was going down to the ice.

It’s no different than when guys get hit along the benches and their entire upper body goes into the bench and their skates end up a foot off the off. Some hitters will go back into the play cause the hit has been deliverered and they are done while others feel the need to finish the guy off by pushing him into the bench sometimes landing at the skates of the guys on the bench.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
LOL @ Matheson's defenders. Only stood out as being burned, then morphs into Hulk Hogan for 15 seconds.

The can opener and then the choke slam.

And that suspension doesn't mean much. 2 games is roughly $50k. A lot to plebeians, but the equivalent of a Costco trip for him. He won'the miss mortgage payments or student loan debt.

To add to the irony, Matheson was already on the verge of being benched. He makes Luca Sbisa look like Larry Robinson.

If the NHL were to get rid of dangerous plays, the offenders would sit out longer periods and forfeit more money. And their respective teams would be fined too. Proceeds go towards CTE research, player disability, youth hockey.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I didn't think that was an intentional slew foot. EP was slowing down and his foot came up. You do a good slew foot, you push your skate into the back of the other guy's.

Reactions: iceburg

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

jeff o'neill is a dumbass, that's not news. but who's the freak next to him? i'm legit scared his eyeballs are going to pop out of the screen and peg me in the face.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

jeff o'neill is a dumbass, that's not news. but who's the freak next to him? i'm legit scared his eyeballs are going to pop out of the screen and peg me in the face.

No doubt O'Neill is an idiot. But I kind of get what they are saying when it comes to the unsportsmanlike part. Granted their stupidity didn't even look at the other part where it was clearly interference. EP just got rid of the puck when contact was initiated but the slam happened a good 2-3 seconds after the fact. That's clearly interference in any rule book so I don't get their beef other than it's not a Toronto player for them to put the shoe on the other foot. He did mention Ray as well who I hold in high regard- does anyone know what he said on the matter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad