Confirmed with Link: Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Didn't watch this game. Where is this EP40 slewfoot? Genuine curious.

I don't know how to embed tweets but if you go to dan murphy's twitter feed he's got a gif of it. (wow, copying the link works too)

it doesn't look super dangerous but it's one of those plays a guy is gonna remember later on, especially after he gets dangled.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
According to Green no one knew what happened. they should have been able to get the video before the end of the game. Disappointed that there was no pushback or payback. However, as I stated days ago, the reason nothing happened at the time of the incident is that no one knew what happened.

I think 2 days is not really enough. He should have got more than the minimum. Even 3 days would have been much more of a message.

If a tile had fallen from the ceiling and hit Pettersson in his head, resulting in him lying on the ice in the corner with Matheson, you still go try to knock someone into the cheap seats the next shift.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
It wasn’t really a slew foot if you watch the other angles, but EP actually apologized for it after the whistle, you can see him go up to Matheson and tap him on the shin pads on their way to the bench.

Reactions: carolinacanuck

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I’d honestly rather see a response by the team and no suspension
I'd rather a league that took intent to injure as seriously as other sports leagues so that this thing doesn't happen in the first place. The idea that "2 games seems just" shows how brainwashed many of us are.

The only reason there is a "Code" is the same arms-race crap that gives rise to people thinking toddlers should be armed because the bad guys have guns.

When you have a competent justice system, you don't need "codes" and you don't need vigilantism. The NHL (and many, many of its fans) have to grow up.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
I'd rather a league that took intent to injure as seriously as other sports leagues so that this thing doesn't happen in the first place. The idea that "2 games seems just" shows how brainwashed many of us are.

The only reason there is a "Code" is the same arms-race crap that gives rise to people thinking toddlers should be armed because the bad guys have guns.

When you have a competent justice system, you don't need "codes" and you don't need vigilantism. The NHL (and many, many of its fans) have to grow up.

Given Matheson's two game suspension, do you still want the snot beaten out of him in the rematch?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Given Matheson's two game suspension, do you still want the snot beaten out of him in the rematch?
I mean I'm human and have a bit of bloodlust like anyone else (but also do not want to go back to the spring of 2004), but I'd much rather this situation not have arisen in the first place. It's really not that hard. Just like other contact sports somehow get by without fighting, hockey doesn't need "message sending" and "responses" to weed out intentional violence... it just needs to take it seriously under the rules.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Maybe for other people. And don't go after Barkov, Ekblad, etc.

But beat the crap out of this Matheson tool. He went WWE on Pettersson because he was lit up.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
It was a dirty play, but 3 months later is kind of senseless.

Who cares if it's late? Gudbranson has no other purpose and since the NHL DOPS is still weak on actual punishment, it will have to be done old school like the Oilers did to Brandon Manning.

I know the mindset is regressive, but Matheson does deserve his face kicked in.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Especially because the league will have a direct discussion with both teams prior to the match and be watching the game with extra scrutiny.

Did the Oilers get into trouble for fighting that Brandon Manning scrub? How are these things enforced from the league's pov?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I looked at the Panthers thread on this and the consensus there is Mathelson is a pylon and got embarrassed by Elias Petterson so he felt he had to do something. Its the most Methelson has done for awhile and they agree they lost their worst player. Team is better for the suspension.

There are users there that seem to think it was a clean hit and there's people there that saw what I saw that no one else here seems to

Mathelson stuck his stick between EP's legs and gave him a can opener. I was wondering why there was no penalty on the play. Check 1:14 of the video above.

Also, a couple of panthers fans point out the "slew foot" and show a gif of it. Its definitely not.

The claim that Travis Green didn't know what happened is offset by the fact that their best player couldn't get up on his own after being hit by a slug. That alone should have garnered a retaliation and Mathelson did have a few shifts after that. Besides, how hard is to get a video on a tablet and don't they show these things on the overhead scoreboard?

Reactions: Indiana

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I looked at the Panthers thread on this and the consensus there is Mathelson is a pylon and got embarrassed by Elias Petterson so he felt he had to do something. Its the most Methelson has done for awhile and they agree they lost their worst player. Team is better for the suspension.

There are users there that seem to think it was a clean hit and there's people there that saw what I saw that no one else here seems to

Mathelson stuck his stick between EP's legs and gave him a can opener. I was wondering why there was no penalty on the play. Check 1:14 of the video above.

Also, a couple of panthers fans point out the "slew foot" and show a gif of it. Its definitely not.

The claim that Travis Green didn't know what happened is offset by the fact that their best player couldn't get up on his own after being hit by a slug. That alone should have garnered a retaliation and Mathelson did have a few shifts after that. Besides, how hard is to get a video on a tablet and don't they show these things on the overhead scoreboard?

I'm fairly sure Green is full of shit. Your best player on ice, at the center of the play, and the puck was passed within seconds, and you're telling me NO one knows what happened?

Green can tell us how pissed off he is all he wants, doesn't matter, the result is our best player got a concussion and everyone's too busy hiding their balls to do anything. By "anything" I literally mean anything - the VERY least one can do, outside of nothing, is to rush to EP40's side and ask if he's feeling OK. But nope, not even that.

Every player on ice should absolutely be ASHAMED at themselves. They should line up in front of a recovering EP40 along with Green and be questioned one by one on why the arena was full of all the flying f***s they didn't give.

Last edited:

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
No i want to see him hit hard legally and often. Retribution and beating the crap out of someone ended up real bad for the Canucks before and it's this teams luck/ unluck that it would probably happen again.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
No i want to see him hit hard legally and often. Retribution and beating the crap out of someone ended up real bad for the Canucks before and it's this teams luck/ unluck that it would probably happen again.

I think best course of action is:

Next time game is played, send out Gudbranson and tell him to give Matheson a bump here and there, agitate him, try not to get a penalty. When emotions elevate a little, challenge him to a fight. If he fights, beat him until atomic fusion occurs; If he backs down, he would've earn a much deserved label of a total wuss and call him out on it.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Why are we talking as though players like Gudbranson, or anyone for that matter, get some kind of specific, explicit instructions from coaches about how to get back at the opposition when something like this happens? I feel like I’m in some kind of bizarro world.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Why are we talking as though players like Gudbranson, or anyone for that matter, get some kind of specific, explicit instructions from coaches about how to get back at the opposition when something like this happens? I feel like I’m in some kind of bizarro world.
Haha you said it

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

He should be taking initiative. With how much he is overpaid it should cover potential fines.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Hit the nail on the head with this one.

Hockey seems to be the only sport where its fans and the league itself seems to collectively insist on applying this bizarre mob/prison-like code to the way that it needs to be played. It's almost like when we watch hockey, we're willingly temporarily time-warped into the stone ages or something. Admittedly, there IS a primitive, meat-headed appeal to it, sure (and if people think those rewards are worth unnecessarily putting players in more danger than they need to be, that's an argument, I suppose), but I don't think the logic or defense of it being more help than harm actually checks out, personally.

I find it really off-putting and conflicting, personally, considering how much I like the actual sport itself.

Last edited:

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Maybe for other people. And don't go after Barkov, Ekblad, etc.

But beat the crap out of this Matheson tool. He went WWE on Pettersson because he was lit up.

Who cares if it's late? Gudbranson has no other purpose and since the NHL DOPS is still weak on actual punishment, it will have to be done old school like the Oilers did to Brandon Manning.

I know the mindset is regressive, but Matheson does deserve his face kicked in.

Sounds like you guys want to see him get drop kicked with skates on....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad