Confirmed with Link: Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Good, it was pretty clear that he was embarrassed by getting dangled. I doubt he gets suspended though, maybe fined? All I really care about is EP getting healthy.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
There we go. So this is a suspension worthy hit... and our team didn't even give a crap. I didn't even see one single person chirp at Matheson. Every time I think of the no response I get angrier, can't support these gutless group of players... things need to change.

I am hoping for a significant suspension.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
There we go. So this is a suspension worthy hit... and our team didn't even give a crap. I didn't even see one single person chirp at Matheson. Every time I think of the no response I get angrier, can't support these gutless group of players... things need to change.

If it's phone it's less than 5 games, which is pretty weak. But Matheson has no history of dirty plays so I wouldn't imagine he'd get more than 2 or 3 tops.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It was a bodyslam with his head first in the ice

Yes, I know. To be clear, I’m furious about it. It was a garbage play by a humiliated hockey player that deserved 1) immediate retaliation from Pettersson’s teammates, and 2) supplemental discipline from the league.

I’m just not expecting either. Pettersson’s teammates did nothing, and I expect the league to do the same. This feels like Kadri/Sedin all over again.

And also to be clear - I don’t see why seeking immediate retribution on Matheson has to be something that costs you a hockey game. Go challenge him to a scrap - he likely accepts. Both players get off setting majors and it’s done. Or at least, throw some clean hits of your own at him. Make him aware you’re out there. Retribution doesn’t mean going out and committing a suspendable offence of your own.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Yes, I know. To be clear, I’m furious about it. It was a garbage play by a humiliated hockey player that deserved 1) immediate retaliation from Pettersson’s teammates, and 2) supplemental discipline from the league.

I’m just not expecting either. Pettersson’s teammates did nothing, and I expect the league to do the same. This feels like Kadri/Sedin all over again.

And also to be clear - I don’t see why seeking immediate retribution on Matheson has to be something that costs you a hockey game. Go challenge him to a scrap - he likely accepts. Both players get off setting majors and it’s done. Or at least, throw some clean hits of your own at him. Make him aware you’re out there. Retribution doesn’t mean going out and committing a suspendable offence of your own.

My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I’m expecting 2 games minimum, he bodyslammed the kid head first into the ice after he got embarrassed by EP.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour

The issue is the instigator penalty. Canucks would have gotten an extra 2 min minor for instigating the fight. It's a ridiculous rule that I've been saying needs to go for a long time.

But for the record - I wouldn't haven't cared about the extra minor penalty, it still should have been done. But it does matter to a coach trying to win a game.

The instigator penalty negates part of the reason why fighting is (and should be) still part of the game.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The issue is the instigator penalty. Canucks would have gotten an extra 2 min minor for instigating the fight. It's a ridiculous rule that I've been saying needs to go for a long time.

But for the record - I wouldn't haven't cared about the extra minor penalty, it still should have been done. But it does matter to a coach trying to win a game.

The instigator penalty negates part of the reason why fighting is (and should be) still part of the game.

If Gudbranson says to Matheson “let’s go” and Matheson says “ok” and they both drop, there’s no instigator. Someone should have at least said that to Matheson. If he skates away and acts like a coward, at least you tried.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Feb 24, 2017

Clean house. This team is cooked, from top to bottom. Gutless and without a winning future.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Pettersson is the only reason I am interested in the Canucks again. It's a god damn farce that this league only pays lip service to player safety. The NHL does nothing to protect its star players.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This doesn't tick any of the leagues "no go" areas (i.e. head shots, hitting from behind, etc). The league will look at it as the kid getting "out muscled" during a puck battle. Pettersson better hit the weight room or he's going to spend a lot of time in the concussion protocol.

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
First, before I go on the rant, I think the reaction to the lack of response seems a little overblown. Nevertheless, in circumstances like this, a response is necessary. And probably results in more winning.

Here's why. If Gudbranson or someone else stepped up to Matheson and got an instigator, what is the worse thing that could happen (within reason)? Florida scores on the powerplay and the Canucks lose the game. One game, one loss. On the other hand, the gains are significant:
1. The mutual respect that would be generated amongst the team could only help them play harder for each other, resulting in more winning.
2. The message to other teams would be "there is a price to pay for dirty tactics, especially against our younger, more physically vulnerable teammates", resulting in fewer injuries.
3. The message to the league would be deal with these incidents properly so they won't happen and risk injury to highly skilled/meal ticket players who, in general, are more physically vulnerable.

I don't buy the "we need to stay disciplined" excuse. This is simply an excuse by a team trying to justify the lack of response. And there are many ways to respond without taking a penalty.

IMO there's a strong argument that responding would result in fewer injuries to players like Pettersson and result in more wins for the given team over the course of a season. The cost, maybe, one loss.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This doesn't tick any of the leagues "no go" areas (i.e. head shots, hitting from behind, etc). The league will look at it as the kid getting "out muscled" during a puck battle. Pettersson better hit the weight room or he's going to spend a lot of time in the concussion protocol.

He needs to gain 10 more lbs and get over the 180-185lb threshold that the Sedins played at for most of their careers. Big difference between 175lbs and 185lbs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad