Rumor: Matheson Maybe? Horny - Hold On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

This deal ain't nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be.

It's not about the value. Matheson could likely rebound with Marino on the 2nd pair and provide a better PMD support to the blueline in general than Schultz did his last 2yrs and Pettersson ever f***ing will.

It's about emotion, mate. We all loved Hornqvist and his never ending amount of energy and ability to give 100% literally every game, even while he's held together with glue and torn t-shirts. It's a decent hockey deal, no doubt, but it still stings because there's a ton of us that are big fans of Hornqvist and for me personally, I just hope he gets used in the top 6 where he belongs, I suspect he will get that opportunity over Acciari in their top 6 and if Dadonov signs elsewhere, he'll for sure remain in their top 6.

He was being wasted on a 3rd line that the coaching staff could never settle on.

Reactions: ownal

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If McCann and Bleuger take steps forward, could be a decent third line, but not a great third line. If this is what they're rolling out I'd want something more than ZAR-Lafferty-Sciveor as the fourth line.

Preference would be to add a better RW to that line.
Say hello to Sam Poulin. I think you're going to like him.

Reactions: ownal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's not about the value. Matheson could likely rebound with Marino on the 2nd pair and provide a better PMD support to the blueline in general than Schultz did his last 2yrs and Pettersson ever f***ing will.

It's about emotion, mate. We all loved Hornqvist and his never ending amount of energy and ability to give 100% literally every game, even while he's held together with glue and torn t-shirts. It's a decent hockey deal, no doubt, but it still stings because there's a ton of us that are big fans of Hornqvist and for me personally, I just hope he gets used in the top 6 where he belongs, I suspect he will get that opportunity over Acciari in their top 6 and if Dadonov signs elsewhere, he'll for sure remain in their top 6.

He was being wasted on a 3rd line that the coaching staff could never settle on.

If people were arguing that, I wouldn't make that point. But people are saying it's bad value for Hornqvist. It's not, they traded an average middle-6 forward for a good bottom-6 forward and a high risk, high reward defenseman.

Reactions: Dominance

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The Penguins are not rebuilding until 25-26.

Hornqvist's contract like Kessel's was soon to be an anchor.
Nah Hornqvist coulda scored 20 goals again and had improved PPP's with Reirden taking over. Still quite serviceable.

And maybe the rebuild is in 25-26. If you're from the future and know that for sure, then thanks for the info. But in 2020 we don't have that tech yet, to my knowledge.

Reactions: Andy99

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Other teams are hit severely worse with contracts......Look at CapFreindly at the GoldenKnights....They have massive problems and Maple Leafs have 3 players signed for 10 + million per season...Ridiculous

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Because his contract will be an anchor in accelerating the rebuild. It's not an asset. It's a lead weight.

The Penguins are not rebuilding until 25-26.

Hornqvist's contract like Kessel's was soon to be an anchor.

Because if he doesn’t improve here or god forbid gets worse it becomes impossible to move. Cap ain’t exactly going up either in the near future either.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Florida fan:
Matheson is risky, but his upper level talent is great. Hope he turns it around.

Be happy with Sceviour: he's a great 4RW that can play anywhere in the lineup in the pinch. There were times we had him on the first and second line and he wasn't visibly terrible. Great PKer too: he usually played on our top pairing. I'm guessing he was part of the trade for some money reasons (we have some prospects who can take his place) and because he is a great PKer who adds value for your team :)

Don't really get the point of Sceviour since we've already got a bunch of guys who can do what he does. We needed a replacement for Hornqvist on the 3rd line, not a guy who can battle it out with ZAR as the worst offensive forward on the roster.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Florida fan:
Matheson is risky, but his upper level talent is great. Hope he turns it around.

Be happy with Sceviour: he's a great 4RW that can play anywhere in the lineup in the pinch. There were times we had him on the first and second line and he wasn't visibly terrible. Great PKer too: he usually played on our top pairing. I'm guessing he was part of the trade for some money reasons (we have some prospects who can take his place) and because he is a great PKer who adds value for your team :)
Aston-Reese is out for some time, he's been apart of a solid 4th line and Sceviour and his defensive game and handedness fit on the 4th line which allows Tanev to move to the LW with Blueger at C. He's a solid player, have a mate that's a Stars fanboy, used to talk up Sceviour like some stud player (which never materialized as we can see).

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I didn't really love Hornqvist beyond my unconditional Penguins love, but this board has weird daddy complexes sometimes.
Hornqvist was the most overrated Penguins player since the 05 lockout aside from that one skinny French-Canadian goalie with a big smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad