Rumor: Matheson Maybe? Horny - Hold On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm not sure why you're assuming Matheson has been that bad, he really hasn't. He's had a tough year, but people are acting like this season erases literally everything else he's ever done. Hornqvist was awesome, but that contract and his injury history was a ticking time bomb and more importantly, his usage was never going to justify his contract the way the coaching staff utilized him. Unfortunately.

he’s not. Talent wise he can do things very few players in the league can. And underachieving on an underachieving team isn’t the end of the world.

The contract is my huge worry. Not even the AAV as much as the term. If this guy flops he’ll have no value and he’s now got the longest deal on the team.

Compound that with losing Horny. Tough for me to look at this rosily. However, I am holding out hope that this is what forces Johnson out door.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So how are we going to trade Petts and JJ without taking a bad cap dump back? they both need to go, we can't afford 26M for the D. Maybe a few 3 team trades?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
he’s not. Talent wise he can do things very few players in the league can. And underachieving on an underachieving team isn’t the end of the world.

The contract is my huge worry. Not even the AAV as much as the term. If this guy flops he’ll have no value and he’s now got the longest deal on the team.

Compound that with losing Horny. Tough for me to look at this rosily. However, I am holding out hope that this is what forces Johnson out door.
I think their assessment is that he's a better fit to compliment Marino's game than Pettersson clearly was. If that's their argument, it'll be interesting to see, both skate well, Matheson has the potential to produce better offensive numbers if deployed differently than he was in Florida, there's also the hopes that Reirden can do that Niskanen magic on him (we wish anyway) to make him worth his contract.

I think we can all unanimously agree, that term is horrendous.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So how are we going to trade Petts and JJ without taking a bad cap dump back? they both need to go, we can't afford 26M for the D. Maybe a few 3 team trades?
Pettersson wouldn't be the issue moving, obviously it'll be JJ and I'd be happy seeing Simon attached to him to get rid of him, even with a throw-in pick which this team has very little of, these days.

The way I am seeing this is...

You trade Pettersson for picks, you use those picks to pair with JJ and Simon and dump them to some poor wanker.

Problem solved, suddenly 7m in extra cap space for JR to f*** this team over with some ridiculous long deal (likely Tanev). Rejoice, the standard is the standard, Penguins edition.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Care to explain why without using emotional charged comments like "we came up with Matheson'd"?

Just curious how a player that seemed universally lauded a few seasons ago as a future core piece is so bad so quickly?
@Mogo is our pessimistic board member: his mean response is well "we're going to lose painfully in new ways."

This article explains it best with Matheson: Mike Matheson traded to Penguins after two disappointing seasons with Panthers

Matheson was very good until the EP incident which ended with death threats against him. He admits a bunch of mental struggles that compiled stupid mistakes, which was his problem at the end: if he didn't make stupid mistakes (changing at wrong time, getting quite out of position), he would be a fine PMD with great physical abilities and not quite hockey IQ. It's why his advanced stats are so okay.

I personally think his contract made it worst for him to figure it out.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Term is horrendous, but if MM can mesh with Marino, even for just a season, we'll be able to offload him. Someone will look at those numbers and say "Yes, but imagine how he'll play next to __________!"

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
In all seriousness. We saw glimpses of solid play from Matheson (albeit couple seasons ago). He's a player once loses confidence is absolute disaster. Maybe a team with a true leadership and winning culture will help him turn it around.

Reactions: violaswallet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@Mogo is our pessimistic board member: his mean response is well "we're going to lose painfully in new ways."

This article explains it best with Matheson: Mike Matheson traded to Penguins after two disappointing seasons with Panthers

Matheson was very good until the EP incident which ended with death threats against him. He admits a bunch of mental struggles that compiled stupid mistakes, which was his problem at the end: if he didn't make stupid mistakes (changing at wrong time, getting quite out of position), he would be a fine PMD with great physical abilities and not quite hockey IQ. It's why his advanced stats are so okay.

I personally think his contract made it worst for him to figure it out.

I kind of dig the dirty hits tbh.

I guess I see a player that struggled with a contract he couldn't live up to and was forced into a role he maybe isn't suited for.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Cap dumps of Kapanen's quality have received similar packages very frequently. Go look at what CHI got when they were selling of their pieces.
You have no concerns that Matheson has been a healthy scratch on the Florida Panthers?

How did that work out for us the last time we brought in a dmen freshly off healthy scratches?

But but but we fixed Schultz 5 years ago.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
In all seriousness. We saw glimpses of solid play from Matheson (albeit couple seasons ago). He's a player once loses confidence is absolute disaster. Maybe a team with a true leadership and winning culture will help him turn it around.

So, I mean. Can you provide some specific examples or "he's just an absolute disaster"?

Like what is the explanation for a player that was seen as a core piece suddenly being traded for a 34 year old with heavy term left as well?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yep: Florida didn't have the right leadership for him. Except for when he was killed in the playoffs with Campbell still there, we did not have real veteran D leadership: Ekblad has been our number 1 since then (who is younger) and Yandle was our main veteran, and well Yandle's problems are Mathesons's. We hoped Stralman would turn it around. Outside Yandle, the main leaders were Trocheck, Huberdeau and Barkov, who are his age and peers. By the time that his problems arose, we lose Jagr as well who was our great forward mentor.

I think Crosby and Letang could help him a lot work through it and Ihope he comes that solid 3-4 defenseman he wan't going to be for us. (I don't this hockey IQ is high enough to come the #2D we hoped he would)

Reactions: Mogo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yep: Florida didn't have the right leadership for him. Except for when he was killed in the playoffs with Campbell still there, we did not have real veteran D leadership: Ekblad has been our number 1 since then (who is younger) and Yandle was our main veteran, and well Yandle's problems are Mathesons's. We hoped Stralman would turn it around. Outside Yandle, the main leaders were Trocheck, Huberdeau and Barkov, who are his age and peers. By the time that his problems arose, we lose Jagr as well who was our great forward mentor.

I think Crosby and Letang could help him a lot work through it and Ihope he comes that solid 3-4 defenseman he wan't going to be for us. (I don't this hockey IQ is high enough to come the #2D we hoped he would)

Yeah. I see a d-core that just couldn't surround Matheson the way he needed to be surrounded and usage that dictated him as a "defensive" d-man when that doesn't seem to be his game at all.

Reactions: violaswallet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Term is horrendous, but if MM can mesh with Marino, even for just a season, we'll be able to offload him. Someone will look at those numbers and say "Yes, but imagine how he'll play next to __________!"

Matheson having a great year next year makes him likely to be taken by Seattle in the expansion draft. Which may actually kinda suck for the Penguins and put them in a bad spot with the ED next year.

If you keep Pettersson and Matheson has a great year, what do you do with the defense? Hope Pettersson doesn't get taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad