Rumor: Matheson Maybe? Horny - Hold On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Maybe I'm too old and skeptical to see the appeal of Hornqvist beyond him being a Penguin and earning two cups (which is plenty to love him for)! I just don't see how he pushed us any farther any of the other years that weren't amazing fairy tale B2B cup runs.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
So we should have just kept Hornqvist and signed Tanev which was where indications were going?

I get that Matheson is a bottom pairing D, but doesn't his skill set provide more of what the Penguins need right now than Hornqvist?
No, we should not have done that either. It's possible for two things to be bad.

Hornqvist is still a vital part of our powerplay, which has repeatedly shown that despite being filled with talent it's hanging by a thread. I do legitimately think that Hornqvist on the PP + Riikola on the blueline would be better than replacing Riikola with Matheson.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No, we should not have done that either. It's possible for two things to be bad.

Hornqvist is still a vital part of our powerplay, which has repeatedly shown that despite being filled with talent it's hanging by a thread. I do legitimately think that Hornqvist on the PP + Riikola on the blueline would be better than replacing Riikola with Matheson.

I agree. But, we weren't going to see Riikola on the blue line. And we aren't going to see Hornqvist used in the top six. Why are we paying a player 5.25 to stand in front of the net?

And the power play was largely unimpressive with him the last two playoffs. I get we are basically pissing away a perceived asset, but I think it is pretty obvious Hornqvist had negative value given his contract circumstances and ultimately you gotta break up the band or turn into Chicago eventually.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If people were arguing that, I wouldn't make that point. But people are saying it's bad value for Hornqvist. It's not, they traded an average middle-6 forward for a good bottom-6 forward and a high risk, high reward defenseman.
I don't care for what most have said, to be honest. I will only speak for myself on this and that wasn't my take and Hornqvist isn't an "average" middle-6 forward, let's not go there.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Whatever. Our team will look truly different for the first time in several years. I’m excited for the season. I have a vision of a Matheson-Marino pairing becoming exactly what we’ve been lacking and I refuse to let that go until I have to. Teams are not going to have fun playing one of Tanev or Sceviour for 40% of the game.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hornqvist's contract was going to be impossible to move..

Say that’s true if we kept Horny and he had a bad year— If you think that 5.25 mil @ 2 years is impossible to move... then what is 4.8M @ 5 years?

Like if this dude doesn’t figure it out it’s got potiential to be a top 3 or so worst contract in the league.

Reactions: Jacob

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If Matheson is putting up points, he'll be moveable, regardless of how bad he is defensively. Offensive d are severely overpriced around the league.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This deal doesn’t feel too bad if it means Petts gets traded.

MM can’t be any worse than Schultz.

Well, maybe he can, but it doesn’t matter because JR is your friendly neighborhood GM.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's not about the value.
For me it is. We got a guy that’s a million bucks overpaid even in a good year which he didn’t have. Sceviour is someone you could find on waivers if not WB/S.

Would anyone here have even wanted Matheson at his current hit & term of he were hypothetically a UFA?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Maybe I'm too old and skeptical to see the appeal of Hornqvist beyond him being a Penguin and earning two cups (which is plenty to love him for)! I just don't see how he pushed us any farther any of the other years that weren't amazing fairy tale B2B cup runs.
His production wasn't even that good in the years they did win the cup.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Say that’s true if we kept Horny and he had a bad year— If you think that 5.25 mil @ 2 years is impossible to move... then what is 4.8M @ 5 years?

Like if this dude doesn’t figure it out it’s got potiential to be a top 3 or so worst contract in the league.
I'm not sure why you're assuming Matheson has been that bad, he really hasn't. He's had a tough year, but people are acting like this season erases literally everything else he's ever done. Hornqvist was awesome, but that contract and his injury history was a ticking time bomb and more importantly, his usage was never going to justify his contract the way the coaching staff utilized him. Unfortunately.

Reactions: Gurglesons

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Hornqvist's contract was going to be impossible to move..
Until you find a senile GM to step up and take on Justin Schultz's six year contract. Apparently, we just need to wait for Rutherford to get his next job to rid ourselves of JJ and Schultz. Anything is possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad