Martin Necas

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Just found this video of him saying his own name. Turns out he says the proper way to pronounce his name is "Nay-Chass".

Yeah, but at least two of this year's 1st round Finns have pronounced their names wrong when the press have asked them. There is the caveat that the Czech pronounciation differs from the English one and the kiddo can't switch it back to the Czech style in middle of an English-language sentence.

edit: and Martin too struggles I see. :laugh:

Elite got it right usually:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=237071

Reactions: Unsustainable

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm just going with "Nachos" from now on--this is America....

Yeah, but at least two of this year's 1st round Finns have pronounced their names wrong when the press have asked them. There is the caveat that the Czech pronounciation differs from the English one and the kiddo can't switch it back to the Czech style in middle of an English-language sentence.

edit: and Martin too struggles I see. :laugh:

Elite got it right usually:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=237071

I agree. It matches most closely with how Martin himself said his name. "Nay Chass" it is.

I'm going to call him Marty Storm-name-guy.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Holy cow, I've been going to that site for years and never noticed the pronunciation thing. Time for a nap.

I only learned today myself and now I float around the boards with this newly-acquired ken of mine.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah I think they take the same approach with Necas that they did with Aho. Let him develop and be a prime player for his home team in his countries highest league. I was honestly a bit surprised that Kuokkanen didn't take that approach last season, though thankfully it sounds like that should be corrected next year.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah I think they take the same approach with Necas that they did with Aho. Let him develop and be a prime player for his home team in his countries highest league. I was honestly a bit surprised that Kuokkanen didn't take that approach last season, though thankfully it sounds like that should be corrected next year.

He signed with Karpat last summer for three years, and the London stint was done in cooperation with Karpat. Aho Sr. sounded adamant it's either NHL or Karpat for the next season, and I'm not exactly sure if they could block the AHL for 2018-19 too if they wanted and if Kuoks didn't make it into the Canes roster then.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't think they could block it, but I also don't think the Canes would send him to the AHL this coming season either.

And I'm probably misremembering but wasn't there something in the last CBA about Euro players drafted outside round 1, where the team in Europe they are under contract with has control of where they end up until they turn 20 if they don't stick with the NHL club? Maybe, maybe no, no idea. Too many beers clouding the memory... so I'll have another beer.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Super weird situation with Aho's dad being involved here. It's not like you can say yeah okay bud whatever and do what you want. I mean, his kid is pretty much the future of our franchise. I would send Kuokkanen to the KHL before pissing him off.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
On the flip side of that though he probably wants his son to succeed in the NHL and if he's in our corner could be a valuable resource in terms of relationship building with players/scouts that kind of thing. But I agree he needs to be kept happy within as much reason as possible- err on the side of caution if Kuokkanen isn't blowing the doors off

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Super weird situation with Aho's dad being involved here. It's not like you can say yeah okay bud whatever and do what you want. I mean, his kid is pretty much the future of our franchise. I would send Kuokkanen to the KHL before pissing him off.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Not that he would do it to someone else, I can't see any way RF does something to irk Aho Sr.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't think they could block it, but I also don't think the Canes would send him to the AHL this coming season either.

And I'm probably misremembering but wasn't there something in the last CBA about Euro players drafted outside round 1, where the team in Europe they are under contract with has control of where they end up until they turn 20 if they don't stick with the NHL club? Maybe, maybe no, no idea. Too many beers clouding the memory... so I'll have another beer.

Not CBA. It's the NHL - IIHF transfer agreement than concerns leagues under national associations under IIHF, and to my understanding it's pretty much exactly as you describe. NHL team pays $240k transfer fee, can take player who's under contract to IIHF league team,except the kiddos other than 1st round have to be offered back to IIHF team before sending them to A (or possibly elsewhere). It's not total control.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Wasn't there that one guy, in that one NHL team where a player just had to be traded away because of "off-ice issues", and the said off-ice issue was then revealed to be the player's over-bearing dad?

Not with us though. We got the nepotism right.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Wasn't there that one guy, in that one NHL team where a player just had to be traded away because of "off-ice issues", and the said off-ice issue was then revealed to be the player's over-bearing dad?

Not with us though. We got the nepotism right.

That was us. Patrick O'Sullivan's father lived in Charlotte when he was traded here from the Kings.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
A Hurricanes prospects twitter account just tweeted out a link that says Necas is going to attend Saginaw's training camp in late August. I would *love* the move if he decides to come over and play in the CHL. I think it would help him so much to be put into a position where he's being leaned upon heavily in an offensive role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad