Martin Necas

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Hmm. Tricky spot for me here. I have been a little leery of prospects like this in the past. The thing for me is that Necas is a 100% full tilt kind of hockey player. Tremendous effort and competitiveness. The Czech league is incredibly hard to project because as compared to leagues like the SHL for example, it's not as competitive. It's a little easier for younger players to play in the Senior team. While the U20 squad would have been far too easy, the Czech Men's league was probably a little ambitious at his level of development. I think if he played in Sweden, he wouldn't have been a full time SHL player last year. The effort level is a huge plus, but it can also indicate that a player is playing closer to maximum output. The thing that usually mitigates that concern for me is looking at how he produces in tournaments, because there can be no question that the player wasn't outmatched from an age perspective or skill perspective. You'll hear a lot of people say that the emphasis on the U18 and U20 for draft prospects is too much, but really it's one of the only times you get to see these guys competing against equal talent. Especially the Euro prospects who play in Senior leagues. The tournament results are less than encouraging in terms of projecting Necas. His U18 tournament was incredibly mediocre for a guy of his skill and expectations. His U20 was better but still kind of middle of the road in terms of what you'd expect to see out of a lottery pick playing for a smaller country and therefore getting more of an opportunity. I just don't know. There was nothing in his tape that really blew me away in terms of being like, wow... this dude has a crazy ceiling. Certainly not the way it did with Aho once I got over my incredulity and started to do proper research into him.

I think he's probably safer in the traditional sense than a lot of the players taken around him because he competes so hard and skates so well, but I do worry about the finishing ability and his ultimate upside as a scoring threat. It makes me curious as to the route we decide to take with him. Do we put him in the AHL next season or do we allow him to stay in the Czech league and see how he does? There's probably good considerations on both sides. It doesn't seem as if anyone owns his CHL rights, so that's probably not on the table presently. Very unlikely he gets NHL consideration next season due to the strength concerns and being so slightly built. He needs a year of being an absolute force wherever he goes so that we can see some production to match the effort. He needs to build his profile as being leaned upon to be a primary scorer wherever he plays next season and not utilized as a complimentary piece. I think that would be a hindrance to his development.

In truth, still a little disappointed that Vilardi wasn't available here. The Kings got an absolute bargain because most everyone else had already talked themselves into their picks by the time he started sliding. It's hard to get a table of scouts off a player once they've reached consensus.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Babula

May 31, 2012
i do believe the best option for Necas is one more season with Martin Erat in top six role in Cze league... he really needs add muscles anyway.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
the Czech Men's league was probably a little ambitious at his level of development.

The good thing is, looking at his numbers, at least he was the best 18U player on his team, and appears to be the only forward that got significant ice time. Probably says a lot that he was considered good enough to get regular ice time and play the whole season there.

also looks like he got drafted 10th overall in the KHL draft last year.

Could be wrong but IIRC this is the first Czech we've drafted in a real long time

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The good thing is, looking at his numbers, at least he was the best 18U player on his team, and appears to be the only forward that got significant ice time. Probably says a lot that he was considered good enough to get regular ice time and play the whole season there.

also looks like he got drafted 10th overall in the KHL draft last year.

It's certainly a strong endorsement. Especially when you consider the fact that he doesn't have a mature frame. They don't usually trust players that are fairly undersized to play in the Senior leagues unless they believe they're hockey smart enough to not get creamed. Aho was an example in Liiga. He grew as the season went on for sure and his playoff year was more impressive than his regular season obviously. Next year is going to be the career defining one for him. He's going to need to torch the Czech league if that's where he decides he's playing. I want to believe.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Could be wrong but IIRC this is the first Czech we've drafted in a real long time

Jaro Svoboda is the last I remember. We also acquired Jakub Petruzalek early in his career but he wasn't out pick.

Oh, crap. Just looked it up and forgot about Martin Vagner and Jonas Fielder. Both re-entries and both Czechs from the 2004 draft. Woof. Jakub Vojta from '05! Oh, duh. Michal Jordan in '08.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
The Czech league is incredibly hard to project because as compared to leagues like the SHL for example, it's not as competitive. It's a little easier for younger players to play in the Senior team. While the U20 squad would have been far too easy, the Czech Men's league was probably a little ambitious at his level of development. I think if he played in Sweden, he wouldn't have been a full time SHL player last year.

While Czech league is less competitive than SHL I wouldn't say it's easier for young player to make the team. Most managers avoid the risk of trying young unproven player. Some years ago, when they made a rule that you must have certain number of u20 players on your team (that rule is no more), Kometa owner said he'd rather play with 9 forwards than play unproven U20 players.

Also while the league is certainly worse than SHL, it's mostly the depth it lacks, top teams are good here (think Sparta has proven it in Champions league)

The effort level is a huge plus, but it can also indicate that a player is playing closer to maximum output.

From what I saw his body strength was the thing limiting him most in Extraliga.

His U18 tournament was incredibly mediocre for a guy of his skill and expectations.

While I agree he should be better there I think it was bad decision to take him there. His team just reached extaliga final, had a chance to win it after 50 years, his line was teams best in multiple games, the city was crazy and he said he wants to stay with his team...and they decided he should join U18 anyway.

Also he had good Ivan Hlinka memorial IMO

Anyway I hope he gets one more year in extraliga with us. He should be on good team and we will play champions league next year, so he'll get chance to play against teams from other europeans leagues too (atleast if Kometa managment takes ChL seriously)

Babula

May 31, 2012
While I agree he should be better there I think it was bad decision to take him there. His team just reached extaliga final, had a chance to win it after 50 years, his line was teams best in multiple games, the city was crazy and he said he wants to stay with his team...and they decided he should join U18 anyway.

100% agreed with your post and this decision was incredibly complicated...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I did see in his thread on the prospect board that he was taken away from his club during the finals, which was an absurd thing to do. I can't imagine what would happen if Hockey Canada decided to take a player from the Memorial Cup for some reason, and that isn't even our top league. It was just an incredibly dumb position to put a player into, but I still believe he had an opportunity here to showcase his talent and was less than impressive.

I also agree wholly that the difference between the Czech league and the SHL is mostly the depth, especially with the KHL having basically raided both leagues for talent with the influx of money to their clubs. I think it's just as probable that the Czech league has less U20 players because there simply aren't enough that deserve the promotion. Czech development has been down in recent years and it doesn't seem as if many star caliber talents are emerging as frequently from this area as there were twenty years ago. And often it seems like when they do, they decide to come to North America as opposed to developing at home.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I want Luke Martin.

Sound like anybody else we know? and he's a righty.

I've liked Martin for a while myself, but I still lean a little "Cale Fleury". Either would be fine by me as they are both mobile. In today's NHL, that's critical for a defender.

I have been saying it more like knee catch/cash. That could be totally wrong.

I think its: Nee-chah-sss

more Euros yes

My guess is in the 2nd and 3rd round your wish will come true.

Necas was projected anywhere from 7 to 15 but most had him in the Top 10, so we got a guy at a slight steal.

Biggest surprises were Chytil, Joseph, and Frost in the 1st round, Foote went a bit higher that I'd of guessed, Vilardi's skating clearly hurt him, and Boston picked a defensive defenseman in the 1st round.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Oh no, I do still stand by my comments about Necas. Those are my valid concerns about him. I'm not even sure I would call it pessimism. What parts in particular were unfair?

No idea, and I'm not saying you're wrong...just having a little fun at your expense, Sunshine. :)

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I have been saying it more like knee catch/cash. That could be totally wrong.

It is. The name is "Nečas". The diacritical mark over the č means that it's actually a different letter, and it's pronounced "ch". It's just like the č in VašÃ­ček (where the "š" was also pronounced "sh", btw).

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It is. The name is "Nečas". The diacritical mark over the č means that it's actually a different letter, and it's pronounced "ch". It's just like the č in Vašíček (where the "Å¡" was also pronounced "sh", btw).

So čanes pronounce like "chains", as in "and the people knew that the chains are on". Act of Dio, once again.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
If Necas becomes an NHL player for us we're gonna have to be correcting a lot of people at PNC on how to pronounce his name correctly lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad