Martin Necas

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm a slightly bit bothered but also slightly bit proud about that no one's even bothering with "Luostarinen". Because you have no ******* hope with getting that one right.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Lou star in en

Damn, actually kind of close. Except the Lou should turn to the o in "thomas" after the initial "you" vowel.

edir: Perkele. You got it with near-cheating 'oh' addition.

And yet we have to have lived decades with the Timmu Savannah variations despite the guy holding the rookie scoring record and seven Olympic appearances and whatelse.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Since I'm actually curious...is the way I stress the "oh" and "ree" correct?

You know, it's crazy hard for me to think it in this way, because in Finnish the idea is that every letter (=grapheme) always pronounces the exactly same way, and the lenght of the sound is readable from if there is one (short) or two (long) of the same letters. The sounds you have there are right, but I want to insist that "o" and "re" would be closer. :)

The Finnish alphabet and the IPA alphabet (international pronounciation alphabet) are pretty much the same.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Damn, actually kind of close. Except the Lou should turn to the o in "thomas" after the initial "you" vowel.

edir: Perkele. You got it with near-cheating 'oh' addition.

And yet we have to have lived decades with the Timmu Savannah variations despite the guy holding the rookie scoring record and seven Olympic appearances and whatelse.

We will call him Lone Star! Since we are nerds

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We will call him Lone Star! Since we are nerds

502f2d5ab0c4eac61d214694351f018d.jpg

Is perfect. Just try Schwartz the vowels in 'lone' the other way around; the -inen ending is merely a Finnish diminutive ending as is, also used by that role play geek with his Mordenkainen stuff. The old geeks have mined Finnish mythology stuff like the NHL Entry Draft 2017 mines the Liiga.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The only really tricky one is the Y, which is pronounced like a U. Never could get used to that one.

That one's on the Swedes, their u's pronounce like our y's more often than not, plus there's the vowel harmony thing that makes Y the U for Ä and Ö. A, O and U go together, so does Y, Ä and Ö. You never mix. Our kids are made to cry with 'olympia' in the Finnish classes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad