Martin Necas

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Given that the year hasn't been the breakout everyone was anticipating would happen, my guess is that he opts for a bridge deal to prove he is worth more. That also probably works for him as he might get "center" minutes after this year with Trochecks probable exit....centers get more money than wingers.
Does Necas really think he's worth more than Svech, because that's only $500k less aav than what he got a few months ago. I think he would have a hard time making that argument.

Reactions: Daeavorn

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Given that the year hasn't been the breakout everyone was anticipating would happen, my guess is that he opts for a bridge deal to prove he is worth more. That also probably works for him as he might get "center" minutes after this year with Trochecks probable exit....centers get more money than wingers.

Takes two to tango and I doubt the Canes want a bridge deal or anything shorter than 7-8 years. We'll see which side gives. No idea how Necas/his agent will negotiate. He could be like Aho for all we know.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Takes two to tango and I doubt the Canes want a bridge deal or anything shorter than 7-8 years. We'll see which side gives. No idea how Necas/his agent will negotiate. He could be like Aho for all we know.
Or in the case of Aho and KK, three to tango. Maybe Marty thinks the same way. With our offseason contracts to deal with, we are not well setup to defend against offersheets unless we take care of some of these decisions sooner rather than later. That might be enough to motivate the club to go with a shorter deal than 7-8 years if Marty is insistent on a bridge.

Reactions: Primetime8

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Or in the case of Aho and KK, three to tango. Maybe Marty thinks the same way. With our offseason contracts to deal with, we are not well setup to defend against offersheets unless we take care of some of these decisions sooner rather than later. That might be enough to motivate the club to go with a shorter deal than 7-8 years if Marty is insistent on a bridge.

Agree, exactly why the team can't let it get to that point. I really cannot see Necas turning down 8 years $7m/yr, that's a really fair value contract and if he never takes that next step forward he won't be getting that after a bridge deal.

The team would be better on Necas improving they, like they did with Svech. If both take that next step forward and we have them locked up for 7-8 years each at those cap hits that will seriously improve our chances for this window to extend into the latter part of the decade. It's certainly a risk but one I think is worth taking with Necas. I really think he can be a perennial PPG player, maybe even better.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I would take the risk and sign Necas to a 2 year 4.5 million aav bridge if it means we could get a better LW in UFA.

Reactions: MinJaBen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Agree, exactly why the team can't let it get to that point. I really cannot see Necas turning down 8 years $7m/yr, that's a really fair value contract and if he never takes that next step forward he won't be getting that after a bridge deal.

The team would be better on Necas improving they, like they did with Svech. If both take that next step forward and we have them locked up for 7-8 years each at those cap hits that will seriously improve our chances for this window to extend into the latter part of the decade. It's certainly a risk but one I think is worth taking with Necas. I really think he can be a perennial PPG player, maybe even better.
I don't think Necas is playing like a $7M per year player right now from the wing. Just going by team internals, Svech and Teuvo both outplay him by a significant degree and Svech is just a little bit better paid than $7M, while Teuvo is paid substantially less than that. I think for a contract that takes him beyond the UFA cutoff, @GIN ANTONIC is more correct with the $6M valuation.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I don't think Necas is playing like a $7M per year player right now from the wing. Just going by team internals, Svech and Teuvo both outplay him by a significant degree and Svech is just a little bit better paid than $7M, while Teuvo is paid substantially less than that. I think for a contract that takes him beyond the UFA cutoff, @GIN ANTONIC is more correct with the $6M valuation.

Agree. But Svech hadn't been playing as a $7.75M winger the past several years and most agree that was a great contract for us. Necas is 23 years old (in a week or 2), he has a ton of room and time to develop and if that's what it takes to get him locked up for 8 years I'd do it. It's a risk but one worth taking in my opinion. If we can get him for 7 or 8 years at $6M, phenomenal. If he wants the Aho route with 5 or 6 years at a reasonable cap hit and plays hardball with us, then fine I'll take it but I really think we need to lock him up for 7 or 8 years. A bridge deal could be an absolute disaster if he breaks out like I think he can.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Agree. But Svech hadn't been playing as a $7.75M winger the past several years and most agree that was a great contract for us. Necas is 23 years old (in a week or 2), he has a ton of room and time to develop and if that's what it takes to get him locked up for 8 years I'd do it. It's a risk but one worth taking in my opinion. If we can get him for 7 or 8 years at $6M, phenomenal. If he wants the Aho route with 5 or 6 years at a reasonable cap hit and plays hardball with us, then fine I'll take it but I really think we need to lock him up for 7 or 8 years. A bridge deal could be an absolute disaster if he breaks out like I think he can.

While not ALL the time, Svech has played for decent stretches as a $7-8m dollar player though. Year 2 especially. In many ways, Necas first 3 year career arc has been similar to Svech but the highs just not as high.

I agree no bridge for Necas though. I don't think the AAV savings you would get on a 2-3 year would be substantial enough compared to what he would look like on 5-6 deal.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'd go 8x$6.5m for Necas, willing to bump to 8x$7m if he really presses for it. I think that's a fair deal for the term given where he currently is. Anything more than that, and he's just asking too much.

Given the volatility the league is currently under with COVID, it might make sense for these players to lock in long right now. Who knows what the financial situation will look like in a few years, so if you have the opportunity to lock someone up long term at a reasonable rate, do it.

Svech and Necas locked up through the 2020s at a total AAV around $14m is fair, and should give us plenty of room to still get the rest of our guys locked in as well.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'd go 8x$6.5m for Necas, willing to bump to 8x$7m if he really presses for it. I think that's a fair deal for the term given where he currently is. Anything more than that, and he's just asking too much.

Given the volatility the league is currently under with COVID, it might make sense for these players to lock in long right now. Who knows what the financial situation will look like in a few years, so if you have the opportunity to lock someone up long term at a reasonable rate, do it.

Svech and Necas locked up through the 2020s at a total AAV around $14m is fair, and should give us plenty of room to still get the rest of our guys locked in as well.

Yeah, 8 x $6.5 would be good for both sides I think. The fact is that Necas is a secondary type player. That's a good amount of money for what he brings to the table and gives him a ton of security.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

I could see it if someone made him a sweet offer as I don't think he'd mind a more prominent..spotlight..type of role on a club. The constant line-a-rama approach seems to affect him more than others.

As a big fan of his, it'd make me sad but I wouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: Tryamw

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I could see it if someone made him a sweet offer as I don't think he'd mind a more prominent..spotlight..type of role on a club. The constant line-a-rama approach seems to affect him more than others.

As a big fan of his, it'd make me sad but I wouldn't be surprised.

Someone would have to put up a SERIOUSLY massive offer term and AAV for the Canes not to match and any team doing that is a) gonna be out a Butt load of good draft picks b) will have a terrible contract on their hands that they will instantly regret.

like what’s someone going to offer him something like $9m AAV?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Someone would have to put up a SERIOUSLY massive offer term and AAV for the Canes not to match and any team doing that is a) gonna be out a Butt load of good draft picks b) will have a terrible contract on their hands that they will instantly regret.

like what’s someone going to offer him something like $9m AAV?

Using last year's compensation - that'd be 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

I'd think long and hard about what to do in that situation.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

At that rate I think you have to let him go. Necas at 9mil (unless for a year, and even that hurts much like Koko Miami) throws the cap completely out of whack and probably costs us another good piece or two we'd keep otherwise.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
At that rate I think you have to let him go. Necas at 9mil (unless for a year, and even that hurts much like Koko Miami) throws the cap completely out of whack and probably costs us another good piece or two we'd keep otherwise.

I agree. Maybe "long and hard" isn't the right phrase because I think I'd probably take the picks pretty quick. Especially if it's at a point in the offseason where we can then use that cap savings to get one or two of Tro and Nino back when we otherwise couldn't have. Even if not, maybe you can flip the picks for an equal-value player.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

That’s what I mean though… who’s paying that for Necas? Go ahead. Canes will walk away and take the picks at that point. While I love Necas as a player that’s immediately a very bad contract and also guts a lot of draft capital.

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I hope he didn't return from concussion protocol too soon. He really doesn't seem himself.

Adam Gold and Cory Lavalette speculated last night after the game that his agent may not be pleased with the Cane's offers especially since they've already squeezed an extra year out of his RFA era. I always wonder if they're coming up with these ideas on their own or being fed...sorta like Tripp?

Reactions: MinJaBen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad