Martin Necas

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That was us. Patrick O'Sullivan's father lived in Charlotte when he was traded here from the Kings.

That was one of the most convoluted trades of all time when it comes to the NHL, and literally it was right at the deadline so **** wasn't even entirely known until about 2 hours after that had passed. I remember hearing the part about Buffalo getting our 2nd for Kotalik and immediately flipping it, going "what the ****, when did Edmonton get our 2nd?"

To LA:
Justin Williams

To Carolina:
Erik Cole, CGY 2nd via LA (Brian Dumoulin), EDM 5th (Matt Kennedy)

To Edmonton:
Patrick O'Sullivan, Ales Kotalik

To Buffalo:
Dominic Moore

To Toronto:
CAR 2nd (Jesse Blacker)

Reactions: Unsustainable

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
A Hurricanes prospects twitter account just tweeted out a link that says Necas is going to attend Saginaw's training camp in late August. I would *love* the move if he decides to come over and play in the CHL. I think it would help him so much to be put into a position where he's being leaned upon heavily in an offensive role.

My preference as well. I'd like to get him on NA ice and in a full-time athletic training program. I'd take a Kuokkanen-type CHL season over a 3rd/4th line limited-minutes role in the Czech Pros.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
A Hurricanes prospects twitter account just tweeted out a link that says Necas is going to attend Saginaw's training camp in late August. I would *love* the move if he decides to come over and play in the CHL. I think it would help him so much to be put into a position where he's being leaned upon heavily in an offensive role.

Saginaw has since removed that section of the article on their site mentioning him coming to camp in August. I think an overzealous intern jumped the gun when typing up that one.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Was at the prospects camp this afternoon/evening and the two guys that are being discussed jumped out at me today. First, Kuokkanen is noticeably bigger; he's put on a bit of bulk, and I mean that in a good way. Janne was very slick today with the puck, made a number of good feeds, had some sweet snipes in drills, and has that knack of taking the puck right at defenders and stick-handling by them.

Martin Necas looked very good today in my opinion. He was one of the 5 best players on the ice, again, in my opinion. He just looked like a first round talent. That kid's got great vision and a great, accurate shot. I saw him standing next to Steve Lorentz, who is listed at 6'4" and Necas looked about the same height.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Was at the prospects camp this afternoon/evening and the two guys that are being discussed jumped out at me today. First, Kuokkanen is noticeably bigger; he's put on a bit of bulk, and I mean that in a good way. Janne was very slick today with the puck, made a number of good feeds, had some sweet snipes in drills, and has that knack of taking the puck right at defenders and stick-handling by them.

Martin Necas looked very good today in my opinion. He was one of the 5 best players on the ice, again, in my opinion. He just looked like a first round talent. That kid's got great vision and a great, accurate shot. I saw him standing next to Steve Lorentz, who is listed at 6'4" and Necas looked about the same height.

Michael Smith said basically the same thing in his Day 1 write up on the Canes site.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
No offense meant but how many good prospects come out of that league?

It's not a developmental league. I'm not going to stand here and say the chl is better for everyone but their track record speaks for itself.

It's difficult to have any good NHLers coming straight out of the Extraliga if almost all promising young players keep quitting for NA right after the draft or even before it. NeÄÂas has been doing fine in Brno so far, he plays with and against better players in the Extraliga than he would in the CHL. He's guaranteed Top 6 minutes on the best team in the league if he plays well. I see no reason why he couldn't follow a similar path as Aho, Extraliga is in the same tier as SM-Liiga.

CHL makes sense for a player like Kuokkanen who didn't find a regular spot in his professional team in Finland. The recent drafted players from Brno, Hájek and ZboÃ…â„¢il, also saw little or no time with the first team so I could understand them coming over. For NeÄÂas though, it would be a step back.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It's difficult to have any good NHLers coming straight out of the Extraliga if almost all promising young players keep quitting for NA right after the draft or even before it. NeÄÂas has been doing fine in Brno so far, he plays with and against better players in the Extraliga than he would in the CHL. He's guaranteed Top 6 minutes on the best team in the league if he plays well. I see no reason why he couldn't follow a similar path as Aho, Extraliga is in the same tier as SM-Liiga.

CHL makes sense for a player like Kuokkanen who didn't find a regular spot in his professional team in Finland. The recent drafted players from Brno, Hájek and ZboÃ…â„¢il, also saw little or no time with the first team so I could understand them coming over. For NeÄÂas though, it would be a step back.

Is it true that Brno sent Necas to the U18 rather than keeping him around for their Championship Playoff round? Saw it in the Necas thread but can't find it anywhere else.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He's guaranteed Top 6 minutes on the best team in the league if he plays well.

And this is precisely my concern. What if he doesn't? In the two Kometa games I saw -- and I watched keenly for Necas and Necas alone -- he played poorly early on and spent most of the rest of the game on the bench. (And when I say "played poorly" I mean "stayed on the perimeter and made turnovers under pressure, with a few flashes of speed and skill".)

At this point in his career, he needs minutes. Maybe his performance in the playoffs has given the coach confidence to play him more, good or bad. But if I'm Hurricanes management, I would need assurances that he would get a *lot* of minutes to leave him in Brno.

Of course, if they do leave him in Brno, that means I'll get to see him again next season when I visit again. :)

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

Because its also about off ice culture and trustworthy. No one from NHL can be certain what happens with their young prospects in extraliga because extraliga never made clear statement what is its attitude and strategy towards young players. It heavilly depends on every individual czech manager. So if Robert Kron knows Kometa's owner and is well awared of Kometa hockey club they might let him play there for one year with no concerns. They also have to count with culture shock and language barrier. Most of the swedes and finns mostly look more ready for that step than czechs. Extraliga is definetely not on same tier as SM-liga when you are considering not only quality of hockey but all other aspects which are necessary for player development.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Is it true that Brno sent Necas to the U18 rather than keeping him around for their Championship Playoff round? Saw it in the Necas thread but can't find it anywhere else.

They were forced to send him to the U18 WCH before the Extraliga final series started. He played the first two rounds. A stupid Czech Hockey Federation rule adopted last year, according to which junior players always have to be available for international games, no matter their clubs' needs.

And this is precisely my concern. What if he doesn't? In the two Kometa games I saw -- and I watched keenly for Necas and Necas alone -- he played poorly early on and spent most of the rest of the game on the bench. (And when I say "played poorly" I mean "stayed on the perimeter and made turnovers under pressure, with a few flashes of speed and skill".)

At this point in his career, he needs minutes. Maybe his performance in the playoffs has given the coach confidence to play him more, good or bad. But if I'm Hurricanes management, I would need assurances that he would get a *lot* of minutes to leave him in Brno.

Of course, if they do leave him in Brno, that means I'll get to see him again next season when I visit again. :)

He played a lot last year, maybe even to the point where he was a bit exhausted during January or February. I think it's generally better for a young player to be surrounded by teammates and opponents who are better than him, to play in a highly competitive and demanding environment rather than be in an inferior league where he's head and shoulders above 90 % of players, knowing that he's getting a ton of minutes no matter what and maybe to succumb somewhat to the impression that he's got nothing more to learn. Of course, it depends. CHL is better than 4th line minutes in Czech Extraliga. But again, it wouldn't make much sense to move NeÄÂas back to playing with juniors - majority of whom will never play hockey for a living - once he's already established himself in a professional league.

No serious professional team would ever give any assurances with regards to a player's ice time, an 18 year old on top of that. I don't think Oulu did in case of Aho, either. But he's been treated very well so far in Brno, no reason to think he's going to end up in coach's doghouse after two bad games. He's obviously well liked by the coach/GM.

I hope you enjoyed your visit!

Because its also about off ice culture and trustworthy. No one from NHL can be certain what happens with their young prospects in extraliga because extraliga never made clear statement what is its attitude and strategy towards young players. It heavilly depends on every individual czech manager. So if Robert Kron knows Kometa's owner and is well awared of Kometa hockey club they might let him play there for one year with no concerns. They also have to count with culture shock and language barrier. Most of the swedes and finns mostly look more ready for that step than czechs.Extraliga is definetely not on same tier as SM-liga when you are considering not only quality of hockey but all other aspects which are necessary for player development.

Frankly, I don't know much about Kron and his relationships with Zábranský. It might also be working the other way though, i.e. there can be some bad blood between them and Kron would like to take a revenge on Zábranský. But I don't know, really. A pure speculation made out of nothing. Still, Zábranský has helped NeÄÂas a lot so far, hasn't he? Generally speaking, Brno has been pretty good lately when it comes to producing top-end young talent, probably the best club in the country over the last five years or so in this regard.

As for the bolded, I don't believe it. Hertl adjusted pretty well I think. His only problem was bad English, NeÄÂas is already better at this.

And don't forget that in Brno, NeÄÂas has teammates with a plethora of top international experience (KHL, World Championships, Olympics), including a probable linemate with almost 1000 NHL games.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Unlike with Lindholm where the question seemed to be answered strictly by financial need, I can't imagine that the Canes have not thought through these options with Necas. They'll work with whichever one is chosen and encourage the option that they feel is best for the player's development. I cannot imagine that they see Necas as a contributor this season, probably not next either. So let the kid play with the big boys for a year and then maybe play in the CHL for a year. Just a thought...

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Unlike with Lindholm where the question seemed to be answered strictly by financial need, I can't imagine that the Canes have not thought through these options with Necas. They'll work with whichever one is chosen and encourage the option that they feel is best for the player's development. I cannot imagine that they see Necas as a contributor this season, probably not next either. So let the kid play with the big boys for a year and then maybe play in the CHL for a year. Just a thought...

Leave him at Brno, maybe AHL the following year?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Seems like a backwards move, no? Playing a second year against men and then going to play against boys in his draft +2 year.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He played a lot last year, maybe even to the point where he was a bit exhausted during January or February.

Ah, this is a good point. I was there in late January, so maybe I was seeing "kid hits the wall in first year against men" time.

I hope you enjoyed your visit!

I love it there. Barcelo is an amazing hotel, and the food and beer are excellent and cheap. Although trying to visit "Bar ktery neexistuje" was a confusing experience the first time around, LOL.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
What is he going to learn from that aside from boosting his confidence? By that point he will likely be too good for that league and while some players get left behave me at that stage because their only her option is the NHL, we have the option of sending him to the ahl.

Either one would work, but he will have only played on European ice. A year dominating against the CHL or time adjusting in the AHL...I believe that those seasons where you are "the man" can have an incredible impact on guys.

But who knows, after another year playing in CR, he could be ready for the big boy league.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Either one would work, but he will have only played on European ice. A year dominating against the CHL or time adjusting in the AHL...I believe that those seasons where you are "the man" can have an incredible impact on guys.

But who knows, after another year playing in CR, he could be ready for the big boy league.

Actually, and I don't know whether this was just my perception or not -- it seemed like the ice in Brno was non-standard. Like, the distance between the blue lines seemed super-short.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Francis on where Necas will play:

On where Martin Necas will play next season - with HC Kometa Brno in the Czech Republic or the Saginaw Spirit of the Ontario Hockey League

"Historically I try to stay out of that. I think either option is a good option. The Saginaw team picked him, and they spent some time giving a presentation to him on what they would do for him and how they would help him. That's a good option if he chooses that. He'd learn the North American rink and have more games on his schedule. If he goes back to the Czech Republic, he's going to play on a line with Martin Erat, be a No. 1 center and play 20 minutes a night against men, so that's going to help him develop as well."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->