Prospect Info: Martin Kaut RW (2018 #16 overall) l ELC signed 7/5/18

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There is no way Bednar starts him on the 1st line. He will start on the 4th line and he will have to prove to Bednar he is responsible defensively....which I believe he will do. Only then will he get a promotion to maybe 2nd line but most likely 3rd line.

Very happy for him as I had yet to give up on him like many others had. Time for him to prove he belongs in the NHL.

Problem is, Bednar disagrees.

First Avs fans were convinced the team was going to call up another career AHL guy. Then they call up a legit prospect and now we're all convinced that he's going to be stuck on the 4th line?

How about some of y'all just wait a second before jumping in with all the assumptions? Especially "Bednar disagrees." How would you know? What evidence do you have that gives you insight as to his process?

Bednar, if anything, has put young players in a position to succeed. He was the guy who put a then-still young Nikita Zadorov on the top pairing with Erik Johnson his first year as coach, and he's also the guy giving monster minutes to a pair of 21-year-old defensemen.

I'm not gonna sit here and say he's doesn't have some old-school tendencies, and he certainly can frustrate the hell outta me at times, can we please give him and the team the benefit of the doubt for once? They've already cleared one bar at least. Maybe, just maybe, he's not going to start Kaut on the 4th line. If he does, blast away, but at least WAIT until then.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I've never been one to agree with playing your legit prospects on the 4th line when they get called up for 8-9 minutes per game, it does absolutely nothing to help them or their confidence, and probably doesn't help the team, either, other than providing a warm body.

When the Oilers recalled Kailer Yamamoto a couple of months ago, they threw him right onto the line with Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and he's flourished ever since to the point where he looks like a legit core piece on that team.

I'm not saying play Martin Kaut 1st line minutes and in every situation, but at the very least play this kid on the 3rd line and keep him the hell away from line killer Tyson Jost.
This. Good thing you brought up Yamamoto because I was going to. Start Kaut on the third line and hell let him kill some penalties if you have to. Knowing Bednar we prolly see 4 minutes of Kaut and on the 4th line.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
First Avs fans were convinced the team was going to call up another career AHL guy. Then they call up a legit prospect and now we're all convinced that he's going to be stuck on the 4th line?

How about some of y'all just wait a second before jumping in with all the assumptions? Especially "Bednar disagrees." How would you know? What evidence do you have that gives you insight as to his process?

Bednar, if anything, has put young players in a position to succeed. He was the guy who put a then-still young Nikita Zadorov on the top pairing with Erik Johnson his first year as coach, and he's also the guy giving monster minutes to a pair of 21-year-old defensemen.

I'm not gonna sit here and say he's doesn't have some old-school tendencies, and he certainly can frustrate the hell outta me at times, can we please give him and the team the benefit of the doubt for once? They've already cleared one bar at least. Maybe, just maybe, he's not going to start Kaut on the 4th line. If he does, blast away, but at least WAIT until then.

I hope you right. Kaut should play top 9 right off the hop.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

How else can we know if the sky is falling if we don't scream about it?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Where did I say he will be stuck on the 4th line?

Yes Bednar has put youngsters in position to succeed but he has done so only after these youngsters have proven they can handle the defensive side of the game. I never said he would be on the 4th line for long. On the contrary I even said that once he proves he can provide good defense he would be moved up. I also said in another post that I think he will happen quickly as he is already very good defensively.

But way to go in overreacting on my post and not even read it properly.

Reactions: Galactico

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm excited to see him. Avsland was way, way too quick to write him off as a prospect. I thought for sure they were determined to marinate him a little bit longer but I'm glad they think he's ready for at least a cup of coffee in the big leagues, if not more.

And honestly, even if he starts on the 4th line I'm not going to be mad. I don't expect high level play from him right off the bat. He'll need some adjustment time to the speed of the NHL, and dipping his toe in with sheltered minutes for a game or two wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'll be annoyed if he ends up stuck there long term, but I'll reserve judgement until I see what Bednar does after he starts to adapt.

Reactions: flyfysher

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Where did I say he will be stuck on the 4th line?

Yes Bednar has put youngsters in position to succeed but he has done so only after these youngsters have proven they can handle the defensive side of the game. I never said he would be on the 4th line for long. On the contrary I even said that once he proves he can provide good defense he would be moved up. I also said in another post that I think he will happen quickly as he is already very good defensively.

But way to go in overreacting on my post and not even read it properly.

Fair enough, my apologies.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Nichushkin - Mack -Burakovsky
Landy - Compher - Donskoi
Nieto - Bellemare - Kaut
Jost - Kamenev - Tynan

I imagine that's what we'll see. Not as bad as I thought, but I'd still like to upgrade 2C (which moves Compher to 4RW) and Jost.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Nichushkin - Mack -Burakovsky
Landy - Compher - Donskoi
Nieto - Bellemare - Kaut
Jost - Kamenev - Tynan

I imagine that's what we'll see. Not as bad as I thought, but I'd still like to upgrade 2C (which moves Compher to 4RW) and Jost.

Ugh... Not a lot of goals there, tbh. MacK is gonna have to play out of his ****ing mind in order for us to stay in the race.

Reactions: Galactico

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Ugh... Not a lot of goals there, tbh. MacK is gonna have to play out of his ****ing mind in order for us to stay in the race.

It’s time for Landy to step up and he’s more than capable.

Goaltending aside, we survived similar last year and didn’t have Bura or Nuke.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the Avs didn't have some injuries to forwards, I'd think this might be a showcase for a deadline deal with the opposing team wanting to see how NHL ready he is.

Still might be but it's hard to tell. They obviously need some forward help, and it sounds like Kaut has earned his opportunity.

Good for Kauter. He hasn't had an easy road to the NHL after his draft year health issues.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Fair enough, my apologies.
Accepted. :thumbu:

FTR I also would prefer he starts right away in the top-9 and I wouldn't be surprised as well if he starts with Belmare but I just expect Bednar will limit his first game to the 4th line and if he does well there go up from there.

Gnargnarbinks

Jun 24, 2018
Alaska
Shoulda just called up Byram, and had Girard play Forward. Kaut, unless some things have changed recently has attitude problems, and is a huge liability. I hope he proves me wrong.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Shoulda just called up Byram, and had Girard play Forward. Kaut, unless some things have changed recently has attitude problems, and is a huge liability. I hope he proves me wrong.

upload_2020-2-18_15-2-58.gif

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Y’all are a confusing bunch...

I feel like I’ve been one of the only ones on here that sees second line potential in Kaut. So he gets a call up and everyone is whining about how he’s gonna get used in the bottom 6??

Regardless glad to see my boy getting his first call up!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Y’all are a confusing bunch...

I feel like I’ve been one of the only ones on here that sees second line potential in Kaut. So he gets a call up and everyone is whining about how he’s gonna get used in the bottom 6??

Regardless glad to see my boy getting his first call up!

Plenty of people see 2nd line upside. He's been called a 2nd line Landy for the majority of his time here. His start this year and comments around that were not good, and cause some red flags to pop up. He still looks like a middle 6 guy somewhere.

On the complaining... that is what we do around here. We like to complain. We would have complained that Kaut should have been the guy if they called up Megna... now we just complain about Kaut's usage instead. If Kaut struggles, then should have called up Bowers.

Reactions: cgf and Chiarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad