Prospect Info: Martin Kaut RW (2018 #16 overall) l ELC signed 7/5/18

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I would be very surprised if Kaut doesn't make the team next season. Worst case scenario IMO is third line.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We'll be in a good spot if we can hit next season with a forward core that looked something like:

Gabe - Nate - Mikko
Jost** - XXX - XXX
Nieto* - Soda - JTC**
Greer* - Kam - Kaut**
Calvert*

XXX = OTT 1st / Trade / FA

...hopefully yielding some combination of: Hughes / Kakko || Tarasenko / Draisaitl / Radulov / Trochek / Seguin / Larkin / Hall / Zibanejad / Schenn || Stone / Panarin / Hayes / Silfverberg. Although with many of these; we could make it work if we just got one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waingro

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We'll be in a good spot if we can hit next season with a forward core that looked something like:

Jost** - XXX - XXX
Calvert* - Soda - Kaut**
Greer* - Kam - JTC**
Longbeach native*

XXX = OTT 1st / Trade / FA
Hopefully yielding some combination of: Hughes / Kakko / Cozens / Podkolzin / Turcotte || Tarasenko / Draisaitl / Radulov / Trochek / Seguin / Larkin / Hall / Zibanejad / Schenn || Stone / Panarin / Hayes / Silfverberg...although with many of these, we could make it work with only one.

No one can say every option has not been explored.... by HF, not Sakic.

Reactions: Pokecheque and cgf

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
A little surprised, but has played well over the last 20 or so games. In fact after starting the year poorly due to injury, he has played solid I think 16 pts in his last 20 or something close to that.

I hope they give him a legit shot with some reasonable linemates, and not the 10 mins a night with Jost and Tynan crap. You would assume they would give him something reasonable because if not it would be better to have just left him there to continue to develop getting good minutes every night.

Well hopefully he shows something, we could use some production with the current guys out.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Really excited to see what this guy can do. I’d put him on the first, or second line to give him a chance to succeed.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There is no way Bednar starts him on the 1st line. He will start on the 4th line and he will have to prove to Bednar he is responsible defensively....which I believe he will do. Only then will he get a promotion to maybe 2nd line but most likely 3rd line.

Very happy for him as I had yet to give up on him like many others had. Time for him to prove he belongs in the NHL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It’s the right call imo and he’s ready for this challenge. He’s played just under 100 AHL games and has a mature game. He is one of the best defensive players on the Eagles in a league where it’s very difficult to play well defensively. Hopefully they give him enough time to adjust but he should flourish with the structure and playing with smarter players.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Nice call-up and with 16 pts in his last 21 games, he's made up for his terrible start.

I'm still expecting this to be a showcase type of situation where he's probably moved out for a more experienced player before the TDL. Other teams probably want to see him compete at the NHL level so timing-wise, it makes sense.

He's not bumping Rants or Donskoi/Burakovsky out of the 2nd line RW spot anytime soon so if he's dealt, I won't be surprised at all.

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've never been one to agree with playing your legit prospects on the 4th line when they get called up for 8-9 minutes per game, it does absolutely nothing to help them or their confidence, and probably doesn't help the team, either, other than providing a warm body.

When the Oilers recalled Kailer Yamamoto a couple of months ago, they threw him right onto the line with Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and he's flourished ever since to the point where he looks like a legit core piece on that team.

I'm not saying play Martin Kaut 1st line minutes and in every situation, but at the very least play this kid on the 3rd line and keep him the hell away from line killer Tyson Jost.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I've never been one to agree with playing your legit prospects on the 4th line when they get called up for 8-9 minutes per game, it does absolutely nothing to help them or their confidence, and probably doesn't help the team, either, other than providing a warm body.

When the Oilers recalled Kailer Yamamoto a couple of months ago, they threw him right onto the line with Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and he's flourished ever since to the point where he looks like a legit core piece on that team.

I'm not saying play Martin Kaut 1st line minutes and in every situation, but at the very least play this kid on the 3rd line and keep him the hell away from line killer Tyson Jost.
Problem is, Bednar disagrees.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

This... calling up prospects to play a few minutes on a 4th line is pretty useless. In this case the Avs needed a top 9 sort of player and they called up the best option for it.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I agree with you but Bednar has proven with past experiences that he likes to see the new kids show they can handle the defensive side of the game on the 4th line before he gives them better opportunities. Kaut already has a very good defensive game so I don't expect him to be on that 4th line too long especially the way he tends to win battles on the boards and go to the dirty areas. I always said he can be a very complement player to do the dirty work on the 2nd line. At the very least he has the potential to be a very good 3rd liner but he will have to prove himself defensively to Bednar first though. Hope I'm wrong and he gets the opportunity right away but it is often better to move up in the lineup at a slower pace and succeed then be thrown to the wolves in the top-6 and fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad