News: Maroons next contract

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Considering Eberle,Yak and Hall couldn't work with McDavid there is reason to think that Khaira wouldn't work.

They did work, in theory. The issue is that all of them--aside from Yakupov, who was a writeoff and actually did produce beside McDavid--were guys who could and should drive their own offense and were paid to do so. What was the purpose of playing any of those players with McDavid if their offense would've been the same playing on their own?

Connor McDavid is going to improve the production of pretty much anyone he's playing next to over the next 10 to 15 seasons barring injury. There is no sense in committing a significant amount of cap space on a player who only produces in that role. It handcuffs the team's finances.

Anything beyond $3mAAV and it's curtains IMO. LW is not a difficult roster spot to fill and Jujhar is a guy who's really got an opportunity to push the issue this year.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
anyone can click with mcdavid, marron is a product of mcdavid. besides they will need cap for the future, so re-signing him for 3-4 million isn't a good idea. also, put anyone with mcdavid they will preform well
Hall, Lucic, and Eberle couldn't.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Outside of Klefbom at a steal contract and McDavid at market value Chiarelli hasn't been hot with contracts. Talbot has been a lucky situation. Citing Kassian, Lucid, Jokinen, Russell... not a stellar argument.

why is it a bad argument? Every single player in that list is worth their money or worth more than their money.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
They should let him walk. Kinda of hoping he gets 4 x 4 and is on the third line next year though haha.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Sorry have to disagree. In no way is Russell fair value, that's a bad contract and same with Lucic. Being a Bruins fan it was clear he was very overrated and not worth 6 per year. He signed Klefbom and Talbot to good deals because they were still unknowns at the time and timed it right. Too bad he didn't do the same with Draisaitl. He's really going to have to pray guys on entry level deals like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi can have a big impact because the scoring behind the big 2 sure isn't impressive.

Perhaps a few players were slightly overpaid, but in the end, Edm would have been in a cap crunch no matter what having to lock up mcDavid and drai. It's not called a salary cap for nothing and many teams are against it even without 2 future franchise centres that most teams can't match up against. But yes, chia has overpaid a few players for sure that makes it tougher

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
What would be the point of the Oilers paying McDavid $12.5M/yr if they're just going to pay the players he makes look better market value? Part of the reason he's worth that sort of money is that he's able to elevate his linemates. Paying both him that money and his linemates market value based on their point totals is basically paying for the same thing twice. If Maroon's not willing to sign for something reasonable they should just find a new reclamation project to put on McDavid's wing. 4X4 is insane. Imagine the Penguins giving Colby Armstrong that sort of money after scoring 40 points in 47 games playing with Crosby. Or the Capitals when Viktor Kozlov had 50 points playing with Ovechkin.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
What would be the point of the Oilers paying McDavid $12.5M/yr if they're just going to pay the players he makes look better market value? Part of the reason he's worth that sort of money is that he's able to elevate his linemates. Paying both him that money and his linemates market value based on their point totals is basically paying for the same thing twice. If Maroon's not willing to sign for something reasonable they should just find a new reclamation project to put on McDavid's wing. 4X4 is insane. Imagine the Penguins giving Colby Armstrong that sort of money after scoring 40 points in 47 games playing with Crosby. Or the Capitals when Viktor Kozlov had 50 points playing with Ovechkin.

Well we have no idea this is just us armchair GMs doing our thing. no numbers have leaked yet. But based on market value he will probably get 3.5-4

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
How are people still defending the Kris Russell signing

he is terrible and the contract he got is just as bad.

You want to know how to slow down McDavid??? Easy, put Kris Russell on the ice

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Because we have to defend it when people say things like that. :laugh:

Russell isn't terrible. If he was terrible, he wouldn't have been relied on so heavily by three different teams in his career. It's a bit long, and I wouldn't ever call it a "good" contract per se, but I think calling it awful like many are is too far as well.

I hate those no trade clauses though.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
They did work, in theory. The issue is that all of them--aside from Yakupov, who was a writeoff and actually did produce beside McDavid--were guys who could and should drive their own offense and were paid to do so. What was the purpose of playing any of those players with McDavid if their offense would've been the same playing on their own?

Connor McDavid is going to improve the production of pretty much anyone he's playing next to over the next 10 to 15 seasons barring injury. There is no sense in committing a significant amount of cap space on a player who only produces in that role. It handcuffs the team's finances.

Anything beyond $3mAAV and it's curtains IMO. LW is not a difficult roster spot to fill and Jujhar is a guy who's really got an opportunity to push the issue this year.

No they didn't. Hall looked lost playing with McDavid and Eberle was awful no matter who he played with since McDavid became an Oiler.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Russell isn't terrible, just overpaid by like a mil

Nightrain

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary
Anything over 3.2 would be a mistake, 3.0 for 4 years seems like the right compromise.

Its really up to Maroon, he could get more on the open market but Edmonton is easily the best fit for him.

Simonizer

Sep 23, 2015
Lots of non-Oilers fans seem to sure be worrying about the Oilers re-signing one of their top wingers who is a power forward. One who can put the puck in the net, and patrols the wing for McDavid. One who is apparently "slow as rocks" whatever that means. It sure seems to me that Connor likes playing with Big Rig and it sure seems to me like Maroon is greatful for the opportunity.

Ya... Edmonton should let him walk. That makes sense. Maroon wants to stay, attributes his success the past two years to McDavid.

He's getting 4.5-5 mill a year on the open market, but that's not going to happen. 4 years 3.5 million per.

This team is going to be together for a long time, and they are going to win a lot together.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Chemistry is kinda overstated, or at least overcomplicated. Passers and shooters are good together, guys who go into corners/get pucks are good for guys who play with the puck, etc etc. They're easy to figure out, and a lot of the time "chemistry" is "meh player looking good with a great player," and sometimes it's "two incredible players playing well together." Anyway, he's a product of McDavid, but he's a nice enough player as he is. My big issue is, does he bring anything that you can't sign an underrated player to do late in every single free agency ever? I don't know. So, I'd be careful, but I doubt this becomes a huge, awful, regrettable contract.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

:biglaugh:
Did you know that McDavid had 71 ES points last year(more than any Flames players total) and do you know which Oilers defenseman was on the ice the most at ES last season? I'll give you a hint: He previously played for the Flames

Simonizer

Sep 23, 2015
:biglaugh:
Did you know that McDavid had 71 ES points last year(more than any Flames players total) and do you know which Oilers defenseman was on the ice the most at ES last season? I'll give you a hint: He previously played for the Flames

How dare you use facts to win an argument.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lots of non-Oilers fans seem to sure be worrying about the Oilers re-signing one of their top wingers who is a power forward. One who can put the puck in the net, and patrols the wing for McDavid. One who is apparently "slow as rocks" whatever that means. It sure seems to me that Connor likes playing with Big Rig and it sure seems to me like Maroon is greatful for the opportunity.

Ya... Edmonton should let him walk. That makes sense. Maroon wants to stay, attributes his success the past two years to McDavid.

He's getting 4.5-5 mill a year on the open market, but that's not going to happen. 4 years 3.5 million per.

This team is going to be together for a long time, and they are going to win a lot together.
Maroon is not even a slow skater anymore. He used to be, but last summer he trimmed down a lot. Imo it was the major reason he stole the LW spot next to McDavid from Lucic. Although, oddly enough based on preseason so far it looks like Lucic has been working on his skating a lot this summer.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Maroon is not even a slow skater anymore. He used to be, but last summer he trimmed down a lot. Imo it was the major reason he stole the LW spot next to McDavid from Lucic. Although, oddly enough based on preseason so far it looks like Lucic has been working on his skating a lot this summer.
He's not a slow skater for sure but theres no way he should be paid like a guy that has put up multiple 20+ goal seasons. The Eaves contract should be the comparable. He was able to at least catch up with McDavid on the 1st goal

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
i would hate either of these, seems like a forced contract. Maroon should re-sign on a team friendly contract and take fair money... he isnt a 16-20 million dollar player without McDavid i expect 4 years at 3M or 3 years at closer to 3.5M

I think you're going to have to alter your expectations... or start adding a metric **** ton of term to the deal.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He'll sign for something in the 4Mx4-5Y range. People forget, he wasn't exactly a bum before meeting McDavid, he was coming off of a bad season but before that he averaged nearly 40 points per 82 games over the two seasons before his bad one as a big rugged power forward. UFA vet 3rd line money is in the high 2s/low 3s.

If you're the Oilers, you probably feel more comfortable waiting and seeing how this season goes, but there's some risk to that as well. I guess it goes both ways. Another near 30 goal season, and things go from "Beleskey money" to "Lucic money" and the Oilers already have one too many guys making Lucic money.....

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
"you only get paid once"

thats the case for maroon, he is a decent player but mcdavid makes life extremely easy

if he is resigning its probably a 4x4 deal

if he hits the open market he gets 5x5 or maybe even more in terms of salary you know being a powerforward and all

No one outside of Edmonton is dumb enough to sign him for 5 years at 5 million per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad