News: Maroons next contract

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chiarelli isn't exactly well known for giving out steal contracts...expect overpayment.

he's only known for not giving steal contracts because people like to bash him. Kassian, Talbot, Jokinen, Klefbom all on steal contracts signed by Chiarelli. Lucic, Russell and McDavid are fair value, and Drai is more likely overpaid at this time. (edit: although I'd say that the NMCs and NTCs on Russell's deal makes it a bad one)

As for Maroon, he is valuable. He is not only a good, modern type of enforcer who will keep the opposition honest, but he is a good skater since trimming down and has chemistry with McDavid. It's not easy to find players like him. 3.5 AAV would not be an overpayment. I'm guessing that we will aim to give him term in exchange for dragging the cap hit down. It would be great if it could be closer to 3.0 AAV

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
he's only known for not giving steal contracts because people like to bash him. Kassian, Talbot, Jokinen, Klefbom all on steal contracts signed by Chiarelli. Lucic, Russell and McDavid are fair value, and Drai is more likely overpaid at this time. (edit: although I'd say that the NMCs and NTCs on Russell's deal makes it a bad one)

As for Maroon, he is valuable. He is not only a good, modern type of enforcer who will keep the opposition honest, but he is a good skater since trimming down and has chemistry with McDavid. It's not easy to find players like him. 3.5 AAV would not be an overpayment. I'm guessing that we will aim to give him term in exchange for dragging the cap hit down. It would be great if it could be closer to 3.0 AAV
Not a big fan of that either but the $ is fine for a top 4 defenseman(led Oilers D in ES/PK time last year)
He hasn't had these horrible contracts since getting out of Neely's regime(see Beleskey, Backes)

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Itll be an overpayment most likely but as long as hes playing with McDavid hell get some points.

I always imagined hed take a friendly contract and go play in st louis

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he did. Kinda suprised Maroon is already in contract talks with edmonton

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
30 year old power forward, there is no way Oilers can be paying guys like these much if anything with all the money they have tied up in Draisaitl and McDavid. Oilers have the leverage, Maroon either signs a low 1 year deal or they move on to someone else. They already have the Lucic boat anchor, they don't need another.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
You'd have to think that he'll be the first cap casualty in Edmonton. They're going to have to manage the cap very carefully in the near future, and while I know he's had chemistry with McDavid, you just can't afford to pay him what he's worth to stay on the Oilers. Maroon has a great opportunity to cash in, and I'd fully expect him to take advantage of it.

The STL connection is there, but I don't know if the Blues have the cap space and, more importantly, the roster spot to fit him (they're loaded at LW). But I think he could be a great fit in Nashville: they'll have the cap space, Hartnell/McLeod departing to open up a roster spot, and he'd be close enough to home in St. Louis. $4M a year x 4 years would be my guess.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We're going to regret anything more than $3 million per. Because any more than $3 million per means we are going to be forced to trade Nuge unless Vegas' revenue causes the cap to go up huge next year. Chiarelli has to be smart about this one, offer him 3 million X4 years (one year longer than I'd like, but its an extra year for him) with the rationale being that he can play 4 more years (maybe more) with the young and upcoming Oilers, where he has great chemistry, or he can go looking for 4-5 million and end up a David Clarkson. Maroon's choice - you want to win, stick with the Oilers at 3 million. You want to get paid, we'll revisit this when we know where the cap is next year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What?

Edit: oh, the top-six comment. He gets the benefit of playing with McDavid but he also deserves credit for being able to do it. Not everyone can (Hall, Pouliot, and Lucic couldn't).

Like $3 or 3.5.

Patrick Eaves just scored 32 goals and got $3.15M/season for three years.

that's a good comparable. Eaves not only had more goals than Maroon but quite a bit more assists too considering Maroon's points are very goal-heavy. Maroon is also quick to give all the credit to McDavid, so he likely won't chisel for every cent he can.

In Maroon's favor though, is that when this current deal is up he'll be 3 years younger than what Eaves is now. Eaves' deal is taking him to retirement age, and that does bring down the AAV a lot I'd think. Maroon is also a power forward, so his value is more than just his point totals.

All said, I'd think the contract should be similar.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
30 year old power forward, there is no way Oilers can be paying guys like these much if anything with all the money they have tied up in Draisaitl and McDavid. Oilers have the leverage, Maroon either signs a low 1 year deal or they move on to someone else. They already have the Lucic boat anchor, they don't need another.

Its hard to find chemistry. besides a line of speed and size is a great mix. Lucic has zero chemistry with mcdavid. maroon fit in great. he deserved a raise considering he's made pennies as an NHL player. when you account for taxes and manager fees hes made zip. That being said I hope he realizes what he has and takes a fair offer for both. Hopefully term means led $$

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
4x4 would be way overpayment. He's been good for the Oilers, but he is a suport player.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Love if it was 3 mill or lower. Come on chia make it happen. Show some backbone lol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nick Bonino comparable

How?

Bonino is a defensive minded third line center who can also jump into the top six from time to time. He plays all situations and is a top end PKer. Bonino is considerably more valuable than Maroon.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Hope Maroon sees how great a situation he's in and doesn't ask the moon of the Oilers if he wants to stay.

Wouldn't blame him he did ask for it but Chia can't afford to overpay here.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
He was a 4th liner/health scratch before coming to Edmonton. He probably wants to sign a deal and get some guaranteed money for his family.

The family that lives in St. Louis.

We're going to regret anything more than $3 million per. Because any more than $3 million per means we are going to be forced to trade Nuge unless Vegas' revenue causes the cap to go up huge next year. Chiarelli has to be smart about this one, offer him 3 million X4 years (one year longer than I'd like, but its an extra year for him) with the rationale being that he can play 4 more years (maybe more) with the young and upcoming Oilers, where he has great chemistry, or he can go looking for 4-5 million and end up a David Clarkson. Maroon's choice - you want to win, stick with the Oilers at 3 million. You want to get paid, we'll revisit this when we know where the cap is next year.

I understand your argument, but I don't think it's an "either/or" situation. Yes, he can/should chase the money, but that doesn't mean he can't win wherever he may go. If you look at the four teams that are the closest geographically to his family/hometown - St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Columbus - I'd say they're all set up to compete for years to come.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The family that lives in St. Louis.

I understand your argument, but I don't think it's an "either/or" situation. Yes, he can/should chase the money, but that doesn't mean he can't win wherever he may go. If you look at the four teams that are the closest geographically to his family/hometown - St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Columbus - I'd say they're all set up to compete for years to come.

2 of those have no cap space (Columbus and Chicago) and 2 have no need for a LW without making a trade first to open a spot (St. Louis and Columbus). I can't see Maroon being on their radar just because he grew up in the mid west.

Nashville could use him though. Plus, he can't talk to any of those teams to find out if they even are interested, or if they are, how long of a deal they propose. If he want security for his family, he could take a lower cap hit for longer term. Of course he could just as easily hold out for a big payday, I have no way of knowing.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Sorry have to disagree. In no way is Russell fair value, that's a bad contract and same with Lucic. Being a Bruins fan it was clear he was very overrated and not worth 6 per year. He signed Klefbom and Talbot to good deals because they were still unknowns at the time and timed it right. Too bad he didn't do the same with Draisaitl. He's really going to have to pray guys on entry level deals like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi can have a big impact because the scoring behind the big 2 sure isn't impressive.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
How?

Bonino is a defensive minded third line center who can also jump into the top six from time to time. He plays all situations and is a top end PKer. Bonino is considerably more valuable than Maroon.

Contract wise, comparable

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Seems like a great guy/father I know he is in St Louis all the time to see his kid, I hope he gets his payday. I think they should give him a little (500k) more than he is worth and sign him for 3.5 or 4 for 4 years. It may be a little more then he might get somewhere else but having that chemistry is more important to McDavid then is being portrayed here. Look how many years the Penguins searched for linemates for Sid.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Seems like a great guy/father I know he is in St Louis all the time to see his kid, I hope he gets his payday. I think they should give him a little (500k) more than he is worth and sign him for 3.5 or 4 for 4 years. It may be a little more then he might get somewhere else but having that chemistry is more important to McDavid then is being portrayed here. Look how many years the Penguins searched for linemates for Sid.

Sid has elevated a lot of players who clicked with him. Colby Armstrong, Pascal Dupis, Chris Kunitz, Jake Guentzel, Connor Sheary, Marian Hossa (not elevated like the others, but the chemistry was there). He didn't click with everyone, just as McDavid won't, but let's not suggest that the Pens had to search long and hard for Sid's wingers. They always found someone who played well there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad